Hooke's law - addition of force constant

In summary, two springs connected together have a combined spring constant that is half of the individual spring constants.
ys2050
I need to figure out an equation that shows the relationship between the force constants of two springs that are connected together.
I know that the 1/ktot = 1/k1 + 1/k2
but I have to shows all the steps to obtain this equation...
I know that
F = k1x1 = k2x2 = k(x1 + x2)
I tried manipulating the equation to get the expression I want but i don't seem to be getting it... :(
Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
That's not 'the' equation. That's two equations. Solve k1*x1=k2*x2 for x2. Put that into k1*x1=k*(x1+x2). Cancel the common factor of x1 and solve for k in terms of k1 and k2.

Good point. You are probably asking why, for example, if I hook two springs with spring constant k together, the resulting spring constant is k/2? Because to get to a given displacement, each spring has to stretch only half as far. The material properties didn't change. Imagine two springs made of the same stuff, one 1m long and the other 2m long. It really is easier to stretch the long spring by an extra meter than the short spring.

Hey, this is just like a couple of other questions asked about the spring constant of a wire last night. If the bulk modulus of the material is M, then the spring constant of a wire is k=M*A/L, where A is the cross sectional area and L is the length. Double L and you halve k.

Dick said:
Good point. You are probably asking why, for example, if I hook two springs with spring constant k together, the resulting spring constant is k/2? Because to get to a given displacement, each spring has to stretch only half as far. The material properties didn't change. Imagine two springs made of the same stuff, one 1m long and the other 2m long. It really is easier to stretch the long spring by an extra meter than the short spring.

hmmm I'm not sure if I'm getting it...
so in my case, the total spring did not have to exert as much force in order for the spring to get to a certain distant because...?? :confused:

Because the 2m spring has to flex the material less when stretched by one meter than the 1m spring, if you want to put it that way. Your derivation is correct. If you have access to stuff, hook two springs together and measure. You'll see you were right.

1. What is Hooke's law?

Hooke's law is a principle in physics that describes the relationship between the force applied to an elastic object and the resulting deformation or change in length of the object. It states that the force applied is directly proportional to the extension or compression of the object, as long as the object remains within its elastic limit.

2. What is the force constant in Hooke's law?

The force constant, also known as the spring constant, is a measure of the stiffness of an elastic object. It is represented by the letter k and is defined as the force required to produce a unit extension or compression in the object.

3. How is the force constant calculated?

The force constant can be calculated by dividing the force applied to the object by the resulting change in length. It can also be determined by plotting a graph of force versus extension and calculating the slope of the line, which represents the force constant.

4. What happens when the force constant is increased in Hooke's law?

When the force constant is increased, it means that the object becomes stiffer and more resistant to deformation. This means that a greater force is required to produce the same amount of extension or compression in the object.

5. How does the addition of force constants work in Hooke's law?

In Hooke's law, the addition of force constants refers to the combination of two or more springs with different force constants. In this case, the total force constant of the combined system is equal to the sum of the individual force constants. This allows for more complex systems to be analyzed using Hooke's law.