Avogadro's Law and Ideal Gases

In summary, Avogadro's Law states that at the same temperature and pressure, equal volumes of different gases contain the same number of particles. This was first suggested after Gay-Lussac's experiments with electrolysis. The law works because gas molecules are very small and do not interact with each other, making their volume negligible. For more accurate results, additional terms need to be considered for high pressures and low temperatures. The Vanderwall equation is a topic worth researching for further understanding.
march1291
Avogadro's Law states that the same volume of two different gases (at the same temperature and pressure) contains the same number of particles. I understand that this hypothesis was first suggested after Gay-Lussac's experiments with electrolysis showed that the volumes of hydrogen and oxygen related at whole-number ratios.

But I don't understand how Avogadro's Law makes any sense. Could someone please explain why, for an ideal gas, Avogadro's Law is true?

For the sake of progress I'll take a stab at why it works, although I feel like I'm venturing into dangerous territory (I am not at all familiar with the kinetic theory of gases).

So here's goes: Avogadro's Law implies that each particle of gas moves freely through a surrounding volume that is the same for every existing gas molecule or atom, i.e. the amount of space that a hydrogen molecule "occupies" around it through its random movements is the same as the amount of space a nitrogen molecule occupies. This is because the smaller atom, bound less by inertia, moves faster than the larger atoms; the speed with which the particle moves varies inversely with the mass. The varying of the mass stabilizes the collision rate. Since the pressure and temperature are also the same, the same number of particles of two different gases will expand to the same volume.​

Please correct what's wrong with my guess, or tell me if it's completely off.

Thanks in advance,
Zech

Physics news on Phys.org
Avagadros law is an approximation that works because the molecules are very small.
Assuming:
Gas molecules occupy a negligible amount of the volume of the container
The molecules do not collide with each other or have any effect on each other.

If you need more accurate results for gas laws or are working at very high pressueres (where the molecules do interact) or very low temperatures (where the volume of the molecules does matter) there are extra terms to consider

Ah, so it's their negligible volume (and the fact that the difference between the volume of smaller atoms and larger ones is negligible) that makes Avogadro's law an apt approximation.

Thanks.

If you're interested in this subject research the topic of Vanderwall equation.

1. What is Avogadro's Law?

Avogadro's Law states that, at a constant temperature and pressure, equal volumes of different gases contain the same number of particles. This law is based on the idea that all gases, regardless of their chemical identity, have the same number of particles per unit volume when compared at the same temperature and pressure.

2. What is an ideal gas?

An ideal gas is a theoretical gas that follows the ideal gas law, which includes Avogadro's Law. Ideal gases have no volume and do not interact with each other, meaning they have no intermolecular forces. This makes ideal gases easy to work with mathematically and allows for the simplification of gas laws.

3. How does Avogadro's Law relate to the ideal gas law?

Avogadro's Law is one of the components of the ideal gas law, which is PV = nRT. The "n" in this equation represents the number of moles of gas, which is directly related to Avogadro's Law. This means that at a constant temperature and pressure, the volume of a gas is directly proportional to the number of moles of gas present.

4. What is the significance of Avogadro's number?

Avogadro's number, also known as the Avogadro constant, is a fundamental constant in chemistry that represents the number of particles in one mole of a substance. This number is approximately 6.022 x 10^23 and is used to convert between the macroscopic world of moles and the microscopic world of individual particles. It is a crucial factor in understanding Avogadro's Law and other gas laws.

5. How is Avogadro's Law used in real-world applications?

Avogadro's Law is used in many real-world applications, including in the production of industrial gases and in the study of atmospheric conditions. It also plays a vital role in the development of new materials, such as in the production of polymers. Additionally, Avogadro's Law is used in the field of biotechnology to measure the number of cells in a given volume and to determine the concentration of solutions.