Understanding Circuit Measurement Techniques and Symbols

In summary: If you don't know how to determine the equivalent of just one resistor, that's a different skill.In summary, the conversation discusses questions about circuits and their components, such as variable voltage sources, voltmeters, and ohmmeters. It also touches on topics such as discharging and short-circuiting. The person is confused and seeking guidance to clear their confusion.
Air
While doing revision, I've come across aspects on circuits which I cannot get my head around. May I have some help with these questions and ideas.

1. What's a variable voltage and how do we draw it on a circuit? Does it have a different symbol to a voltmeter?
  2. Why does touching the leads together allow the voltmeter to be zeroed?
    Can I say that it discharges it. In the mark scheme, it says that it is short-circuited, is that the same as being discharged?
  3. When using ohmmeter, the resistance of a resistor should not be measured while it is in a circuit. Is it that this will cause the circuit to short-circuit because there are too many component to the circuit?

I'm getting confused. Please guide me in the right direction and clear my confusion. Thanks in advance. :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
When you say "variable voltage", perhaps you mean a time-varying voltage source, which is an active component that makes it become true that the voltage between its two terminals will be a certain function of time. The electrical outlet on your wall is an example of one. The symbol I'm a customed to is the plus and minus signs in a circle, with some expression written next to it to indicate the time-varying function. Or perhaps by the words "variable voltage" you mean the voltage across any two points in a circuit, not measured across a voltage source. You could apply a volt meter across those two points if you wanted to, but it wouldn't be meaningful to say that the voltage "is" a volt meter. A volt meter shows a measurement.

A DC voltmeter placed across a time-varying voltage would measure an effective constant value. That may not be what you wanted.

If you remove a voltmeter from the circuit and then short its terminals together, the short will guarantee that the voltage across the terminals is zero. If the meter displays a number other than zero, you can turn the screw to make it display zero.

You have "calibrated" the meter, but I won't say that you "discharged", it because I'm not aware that a voltmeter stores a significant amount of charge that needs to be discharged.

If you measure a resistor with an ohmmeter, the meter does it by measuring the voltage to current ratio of whatever is between those two terminals, in this case, just one resistor. If you tried to do it while the resistor is part of a circuit, the meter would read some voltage to current ratio of the entire network as seen at those two terminals.

Last edited:

Hello there,

I'm happy to assist you with your questions about circuits. Let's start with the first one about variable voltage. A variable voltage is a type of power supply that can be adjusted to provide different levels of voltage. This allows for more flexibility in the circuit and can be used for various purposes such as testing different components or controlling the speed of a motor. To draw it on a circuit, you can use a variable voltage source symbol which is usually a battery with an arrow pointing to a curved line representing the adjustable voltage. It may also have a label indicating the range of voltage it can provide.

As for the voltmeter, it does have a different symbol than a regular voltmeter. The symbol for a variable voltmeter usually has a V with a small curved line above it, indicating that it can measure variable voltages.

Touching the leads of a voltmeter together allows it to be zeroed because it creates a closed circuit with zero resistance. This allows the voltmeter to calibrate itself and display a reading of zero. Saying that it discharges the voltmeter is not entirely correct, as the voltmeter does not hold a charge like a battery. Short-circuiting is a more accurate term, as it describes the connection of the two leads which bypasses the rest of the circuit.

When using an ohmmeter, it is important to not measure the resistance of a resistor while it is in a circuit. This is because the other components in the circuit can affect the reading and give an inaccurate measurement. It is not necessarily because there are too many components, but rather that the circuit is not isolated and the resistance of other components can interfere with the measurement.

I hope this clears up your confusion and helps you understand these concepts better. Remember, if you have any further questions, don't hesitate to ask. Keep up the good work with your revision!

1. What is a multiple circuit question?

A multiple circuit question is a type of scientific question that involves multiple circuits in an electrical system. It typically requires the use of complex calculations and analysis to determine the behavior and performance of the circuits.

2. How do you approach solving multiple circuit questions?

The best approach to solving multiple circuit questions is to break down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts. This involves identifying the different circuits involved, analyzing each one separately, and then combining the results to determine the overall behavior of the system.

3. What are some common challenges when solving multiple circuit questions?

Some common challenges when solving multiple circuit questions include identifying all the relevant circuits, understanding the relationships between the circuits, and performing accurate calculations. Additionally, complex circuits with multiple components and different voltage sources can add to the difficulty of solving these types of questions.

4. What are the key concepts to understand when dealing with multiple circuit questions?

The key concepts to understand when dealing with multiple circuit questions include Ohm's Law, Kirchhoff's Laws, and the principles of series and parallel circuits. It is also important to have a solid understanding of circuit analysis techniques, such as nodal analysis and mesh analysis.

5. How can I improve my skills in solving multiple circuit questions?

To improve your skills in solving multiple circuit questions, it is important to practice regularly and to challenge yourself with increasingly complex problems. Additionally, studying and understanding the basic principles and concepts of circuits and electrical systems will help you develop a strong foundation for solving these types of questions.