Would you date a girl with tatoos?

• Thread starter gravenewworld
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Girl
In summary, you would not date a girl because she has a nice house on the inside but an ugly exterior.
waht said:
It seems to me that the issue with tattooing (whether you get it or not) has to do with conformity. And to fit in one way or another because of what other people will think of you.
Tatooing your body in order to "conform" or "fit in" is a sign of low self esteem. If you do it because you like it, that's different, although it is a way of calling unnecessary attention to yourself which means there is some issue there. Even if it is somewhere that can't be seen in public, you probably put it there to "impress" or "shock" people on a more intimate level.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you will not date an intelligent, funny, sweet, and attractive female simply because she has a low profile tattoo, then you might not like girls in general. Also, would you make her wear certain clothes in public as well to enhance your image together. The whole idea seams entirely superficial.

TR345 said:
If you will not date an intelligent, funny, sweet, and attractive female simply because she has a low profile tattoo, then you might not like girls in general. Also, would you make her wear certain clothes in public as well to enhance your image together. The whole idea seams entirely superficial.

Why? If someone doesn't like tattoos or the idea of permanently marring your body with ink, that doesn't mean they don't like women in general, it just means they don't find tattoos attractive.

And, no, people shouldn't make another wear particular clothes in public, but the clothing one chooses also reflects their personality, so if you don't like the way someone dresses, you might not be very compatible. Doesn't mean you couldn't get along as friends, but for dating, you want more compatibility than that. I won't date a guy who wears a baseball cap all the time, or one worn sideways, or pants slouching down to his knees, or dirty ripped t-shirts unless he's only wearing it to do yardwork, or orange plaid pants and purple striped shirts together. Any of those styles tell me something about the image that person wants to portray about themselves, and none of that is compatible with my appraoch to life.

Moonbear said:
Why? If someone doesn't like tattoos or the idea of permanently marring your body with ink, that doesn't mean they don't like women in general, it just means they don't find tattoos attractive.

And, no, people shouldn't make another wear particular clothes in public, but the clothing one chooses also reflects their personality, so if you don't like the way someone dresses, you might not be very compatible. Doesn't mean you couldn't get along as friends, but for dating, you want more compatibility than that. I won't date a guy who wears a baseball cap all the time, or one worn sideways, or pants slouching down to his knees, or dirty ripped t-shirts unless he's only wearing it to do yardwork, or orange plaid pants and purple striped shirts together. Any of those styles tell me something about the image that person wants to portray about themselves, and none of that is compatible with my appraoch to life.

I respect your opinion, but it is the girl who you are supposed to be attractive to. Also, I am saying that if she has a great personality, but the tattoo makes you dislike her, then what is the point of the judgment you would be making about her having a bad personality because of a tattoo. It just doesn't make sense unless you care how strangers will judge her, and you by association which is kind of superficial.

Evo said:
Tatooing your body in order to "conform" or "fit in" is a sign of low self esteem. If you do it because you like it, that's different, although it is a way of calling unnecessary attention to yourself which means there is some issue there. Even if it is somewhere that can't be seen in public, you probably put it there to "impress" or "shock" people on a more intimate level.

I suppose yes for a certain subset of people. People can be insecure if they don't have a tattoo too.

But even if someone is insecure, they might just need a kick start from you to rid of their insecurity, you never know.

Evo said:

It seems a rather superficial way of looking at it. I guess the average woman suffers from low self esteem? In order to 'fit in' or 'conform' she wears make up, push up/water/underwire/whatever bras, highheels, fake nails, stockings, pantyhose... I could go on all day. Everyone alters their appearance in some fashion or another. All sorts of people try to get others attention whether it's with a tattoo, make up, or cleavage does it really matter? Does it really automatically point to some 'issue' the person has just because they have a piercing or tattoo any more than it they just like wearing certain types of clothing or doing their makeup in a certain way?

TR345 said:
I respect your opinion, but it is the girl who you are supposed to be attractive to. Also, I am saying that if she has a great personality, but the tattoo makes you dislike her, then what is the point of the judgment you would be making about her having a bad personality because of a tattoo. It just doesn't make sense unless you care how strangers will judge her, and you by association which is kind of superficial.
That doesn't even make any sense. Why are you supposed to be attracted to someone you aren't interested in?

TheStatutoryApe said:
It seems a rather superficial way of looking at it. I guess the average woman suffers from low self esteem? In order to 'fit in' or 'conform' she wears make up, push up/water/underwire/whatever bras, highheels, fake nails, stockings, pantyhose... I could go on all day. Everyone alters their appearance in some fashion or another. All sorts of people try to get others attention whether it's with a tattoo, make up, or cleavage does it really matter? Does it really automatically point to some 'issue' the person has just because they have a piercing or tattoo any more than it they just like wearing certain types of clothing or doing their makeup in a certain way?
I consider people that think they are judged solely by appearance to have issues, yes.

There is a reason why expensive clothing is worth it, better fit, lasts longer. But there are definitely fashion whores.

Wearing a pair of expensive shoes and permanently tatooing shoes onto your feet are definitely two different things. I don't do either.

Last edited:
TR345 said:

Errr, isn't that the point. They ARENT attractive with a tattoo.

TheStatutoryApe said:

Because of the severity of what they are doing, IMO YES.

Women who get tit jobs also have issues, for instance.

Evo said:
I consider people that think they are judged solely by appearance to have issues, yes.

There is a reason why expensive clothing is worth it, better fit, lasts longer. But there are definitely fashion whores.

Wearing a pair of expensive shoes and permanently tatooing shoes onto your feet are definitely two different things. I don't do either.

My point was (sorry that I didn't convey it well) that maybe, since everyone alters their appearance in various ways to 'conform' or 'fit in', getting a tattoo isn't necessarily any more a sign of having esteem issues.

Cyrus said:
Because of the severity of what they are doing, IMO YES.

Women who get tit jobs also have issues, for instance.

So a one time superficial body modification is somehow more severe than years of going through a daily ritual of altering ones appearance? A ritual that is often tedious and by some even considered torturous (high heels/ underwires/ waxing)?

TheStatutoryApe said:
My point was (sorry that I didn't convey it well) that maybe, since everyone alters their appearance in various ways to 'conform' or 'fit in', getting a tattoo isn't necessarily any more a sign of having esteem issues.

So a one time superficial body modification is somehow more severe than years of going through a daily ritual of altering ones appearance? A ritual that is often tedious and by some even considered torturous (high heels/ underwires/ waxing)?
It boils down to what is socially acceptable in your "world". In the professional world I live in, it is considered part of grooming for a woman to wear *subtle* makeup. You don't go to the office with purple sparkly eyeshadow or black lipstick.

If you go back and read what *I* said,
Tatooing your body in order to "conform" or "fit in" is a sign of low self esteem. If you do it because you like it, that's different

If you are a slave to fashion trends, then yes, it's a self esteem issue. You can dress nicely without drawing undue attention to yourself.

I guess I meant physically attractive, if you are not attracted in a sophisticated way to them because of the tattoo, then that is another story, but even then, it would not be very sophisticated of a person to be that shallow in their reasoning.

Last edited:
TR345 said:
I guess I meant physically attractive, if you are not attracted in a sophisticated way to them because of the tattoo, then that is another story, but even then, it would not be very sophisticated of a person to be that shallow in their reasoning.

That makes no sense. I don't like fat women. Does that mean I am not sophisticated in my reasoning? It means I have my own taste.

I like tall brunettes with a nice face and nice skin. Nice skin is VERY attractive. That means NO F'in tattoos on her.

TheStatutoryApe said:

"torturous?" ...no.

How does one alter their appearance by taking a shower, wearing cologne, and combing their hair.

Cyrus said:
That makes no sense. I don't like fat women. Does that mean I am not sophisticated in my reasoning? It means I have my own taste.

I like tall brunettes with a nice face and nice skin. Nice skin is VERY attractive. That means NO F'in tattoos on her.

If you were attracted to fat women in a physical way, but you thought that being fat makes them stupid so didn't like them automatically, then sort of, but that is another bag of potato chips.

TR345 said:
If you were attracted to fat women in a physical way, but you thought that being fat makes them stupid so didn't like them automatically, then sort of, but that is another bag of potato chips.

WHY!? I can be attracted to a nice tall brunette with a tattoo, and I might not get along with her. Thats no different than me rejecting her becasue of her tattoo!

Selection is selection. PERIOD. If you don't satisfy at least x,y,z you can take a hike.

Cyrus said:
WHY!? I can be attracted to a nice tall brunette with a tattoo, and I might not get along with her. Thats no different than me rejecting her becasue of her tattoo!

Selection is selection. PERIOD. If you don't satisfy at least x,y,z you can take a hike.

Right, but then that would make it neither a sophisticated reason nor a physical attraction reason which doesn't make sense to me unless it is for superficial reasons.

Maybe you can have any women you want, and so you can search the world for a perfectly fine one that has no blemishes or whatever, so if that is the case then that is cool, but if you are turning down who would be your best choice if she didn't have a blemish, then that is different.

Evo said:
If you go back and read what *I* said,
Tatooing your body in order to "conform" or "fit in" is a sign of low self esteem. If you do it because you like it, that's different
You censor yourself...
atooing your body in order to "conform" or "fit in" is a sign of low self esteem. If you do it because you like it, that's different, although it is a way of calling unnecessary attention to yourself which means there is some issue there. Even if it is somewhere that can't be seen in public, you probably put it there to "impress" or "shock" people on a more intimate level.
And my point of contention was with regard to the necessity of there being some 'issue' with the person with a tattoo. I'm sure we can just agree to disagree but really I've seen no evidence that people with tattoos all have, or are even just more likely to have, issues.

Cyrus said:
How does one alter their appearance by taking a shower, wearing cologne, and combing their hair.
I was more referring to women since they, on average, are the best example of someone going to lengths to alter their appearance for acceptance in society at large. But men do it too. We comb our hair, wear certain clothes, shave, trim ect..
I'd just like to know how getting a tattoo is so much more of an indelible mark upon a person's psyche than all of the little things they do on a daily basis to maintain a certain appearance? Especially with regard to women. Even just sitting in front of a mirror to do make-up every day has to have a greater psychological effect on someone than a tattoo that they probably don't even think about most of the time.

TR345 said:
Right, but then that would make it neither a sophisticated reason nor a physical attraction reason which doesn't make sense to me unless it is for superficial reasons.

Of course its superficial. Why is that a bad thing? I don't like fat girls. That too is superficial.

Its completely an 'attraction reason'.

Cyrus said:
Of course its superficial. Why is that a bad thing? I don't like fat girls. That too is superficial.

Its completely an 'attraction reason'.

Yeah, but I view that as a different bag of potato chips. For one, you cannot be low profile fat. Secondly, it depends on whether you aren't physically attracted to them or other. The way I view it is that you are only punishing yourself if you dismiss an awesome women because she has a blemish. I cannot understand how a low profile tattoo could affect s-xual attraction, at least for me, but then again some people are afraid of clowns, so who knows? I guess whatever makes you happy works best.

TR345 said:
Yeah, but I view that as a different bag of potato chips. For one, you cannot be low profile fat. Secondly, it depends on whether you aren't physically attracted to them or other. The way I view it is that you are only punishing yourself if you dismiss an awesome women because she has a blemish. I cannot understand how a low profile tattoo could affect s-xual attraction, at least for me, but then again some people are afraid of clowns, so who knows? I guess whatever makes you happy works best.

A tattoo is not a belmish. Its a CHOICE someone makes to do to their body. Her being 'awesome' is meaningless. How do you know she is awesome? For all you know, she could be someone you don't get along with AND have a tattoo.

I'm very picky about women. Tattoos ant going to fly with me.

Cyrus said:
A tattoo is not a belmish. Its a CHOICE someone makes to do to their body. Her being 'awesome' is meaningless. How do you know she is awesome? For all you know, she could be someone you don't get along with AND have a tattoo.

I'm very picky about women. Tattoos ant going to fly with me.

Or she could be the hottest girl you ever have seen who is funny and intelligent, but then she happened to be wearing flip flops and had a rose tattoo on her foot, and so you were repulsed. Just because your afraid of clowns doesn't mean you shouldn't go to parties.

That is a good quote, I just made it up. Maybe I should add it to my signature.

Last edited:
TR345 said:
Or she could be the hottest girls you ever have seen who is funny and intelligent, but then she happened to be wearing flip flops and had a rose tattoo on her foot, and so you were repulsed. Just because your afraid of clowns doesn't mean you shouldn't go to parties.

I wouldn't say 'replused' but turned off by it - annoyed. It says a lot about her as a person that is very NEGATIVE in my eyes.

Cant sleep, clowns will eat me...cant sleep, clowns will eat me...cant sleep, clowns will eat me :bugeye:

You could always put a paper bag over her foot when your in the sack.

TR345 said:
You could always put a paper bag over her foot when your in the sack.

Kinda awkward when its over your shoulder! Yeahhhhhhhhh, did you get the TPS report. Wake up AHHHHHHHHHH.

Its not the tattoo itself. Its the mindset, why did you get something so stupid permanently put on your foot...that I can't wrap my head around.

True enough. LOL

Lumberg.jpg

-Love that movie.

Now I am curious. Are all these tattoos an american fad?

I don't like long fake nails or painted toe nails, but sometimes you just got to live with it.

TR345 said:
I don't like long fake nails or painted toe nails, but sometimes you just got to live with it.

I hate girls that do their nails. I am sorry, I just do. It chips away and they pick at it and it looks NASTY.

Clean, just look clean. Nice skin and clean. So many girls ruin their body thinking it makes them look good, when they look perfectly fine the way they are. Less is more.

I can't see another golden orange fake tan blonde woman with bright orange nail polish on her feet. Like a high priced hooker.

Ladies, your hair is fine its natural color. Your nails are fine its natural color. Your eyes are fine their natural color.

Last edited:
TR345 said:
Or she could be the hottest girl you ever have seen who is funny and intelligent, but then she happened to be wearing flip flops and had a rose tattoo on her foot, and so you were repulsed.
Just playing devil's advocate here:

Judging based on a tattoo is not quite as shallow as judging on other factors (such as weight or skin colour or etc.).

Some traits have no correlation with one's personality, some traits do have a degree of correlation with personality.

Tattoos are a choice made by the person, and to an arbitrarily greater or lesser degree that does tell you something about that person.

A tattoo (like every other item that you can change, such as hair colour, clothing, jewelery, piercings) are an advertisement - this is something I want you to know about me.

Cyrus said:
Its not the tattoo itself. Its the mindset, why did you get something so stupid permanently put on your foot...that I can't wrap my head around.
Unless there's more to it, this is a circular argument.

I don't like you because you have a tattoo.
What's wrong with a tattoo?
It's stupidly permanent, and you've deliberately given yourself one.
But why is it stupid such that putting it on my ankle is bad?
Because permanently putting something stupid on your ankle is stupid.
But why is a tattoo stupid in the first place?
Norman coordinate! Norman coordinate!

TR345 said:

Why do you "gotta live with it?" Again, someone who has long fake nails or painted toe nails is saying something with that choice. They made a choice to have those, and I think it tells something about their personality. Either that they DO value superficial appearance, or perhaps that they are unwilling to do manual work (no point in having long, fake nails if you like digging in the garden for a hobby). To me, those are a sign of someone who likes to indulge in selfish luxury.

Tattoos also send a message, but perhaps just a different one. Someone who chooses to work out a lot and appears highly fit, or who spends a lot of time tanning, or who doesn't bother working out or eating right and gets fat, or who spends a fortune always having a perfect hairstyle, or who just pulls their hair back into a ponytail and wears no makeup each is telling you something about their personality by their choices about their appearance.

I personally only rarely wear any makeup, and usually just pull my hair into a ponytail or just leave it down doing whatever it naturally does, have short nails that are not painted, no tattoos or other body art, sometimes will wear a small piece of jewelry when I have to dress for a special occasion but nothing big or gawdy, and that's who I am and what I want to portray to people. If someone is not attracted by that, and prefers someone who likes to be flashy with big hair, long nails, tons of gaudy jewelry, then we are likely not compatible...that is someone who values outward displays of opulence and probably expects women to sit around and be pretty and not do anything that might break a fingernail or mess up their hair. That's not me. My outward appearance does reflect my inward attitudes and opinions, that's how I advertise myself. I don't believe in false advertising, dressing up as someone you're not, and then after you hook a guy, suddenly you stop wearing make-up and doing yourself up and he wonders why you've "let yourself go."

Moonbear said:
Why do you "gotta live with it?"

:approve: I thought the same thing too, and was tempted to comment on it. I think there's an unspoken component to that argument:

"...if she's hot enough".