Don't buy from tree-hating businesses

• Thread starter ehrenfest
  • Start date
In summary, this website provides businesses a score based on their environmental practices. It looks like a good organization, because low scores were given to Amazon.com and Apple. If these major corporations don't care about the environment, we are really screwed. Their website allows you to send emails to these companies urging them to clean up their act. I will definitely keep checking their scoreboard and try to more environmentally intelligent consumer decisions.
ehrenfest
http://www.climatecounts.org/

Here they give businesses a score based on how environmentally friendly their practices are. It looks to me like a really good, well-meaning organization. Look how low Amazon.com and Apple scored! If these major corporations that are pervasive parts of American manufacturing and distribution of goods don't care about the environment, we are really screwed. Their website allows you to send e-mails to these companies telling that you care about climate and that they should clean up their act. I will definitely keep checking their scoreboard and try to more environmentally intelligent consumer decisions.

Physics news on Phys.org
Tree hating businesses? You mean like publishing companies and booksellers?

Your title is misleading.

Libraries smell like murder.

WarPhalange said:
We "could' go back to using sheepskin. But then, what is the environmental impact of the land used by the sheep, the sheep feces, farts, the environmental issues of the feed for the sheep, transporting the sheep, processing of the skin for parchment...

I kicked a tree this morning. :devil:

I just don't mind killing trees :devil:
I am not planning to procreate, so nothing to worry about.

Math Is Hard said:
I kicked a tree this morning. :devil:
<slowly backs away from MIH>

"No officer, I do not know this woman, all I know is that she had a crossbow, then deformed squirrels started showing up around her place..." :uhh:

Evo said:
<slowly backs away from MIH>

"No officer, I do not know this woman, all I know is that she had a crossbow, then deformed squirrels started showing up around her place..." :uhh:

:rofl: I know you guys are saving this all for my commitment hearing.

Math Is Hard said:
:rofl: I know you guys are saving this all for my commitment hearing.
:rofl: Can you imagine my file?

Just curious, but how could Google even be environmentally unfriendly? I feel like they'd have to make a noted effort to achieve that.

ehrenfest said:
http://www.climatecounts.org/

Here they give businesses a score based on how environmentally friendly their practices are. It looks to me like a really good, well-meaning organization. Look how low Amazon.com and Apple scored! If these major corporations that are pervasive parts of American manufacturing and distribution of goods don't care about the environment, we are really screwed. Their website allows you to send e-mails to these companies telling that you care about climate and that they should clean up their act. I will definitely keep checking their scoreboard and try to more environmentally intelligent consumer decisions.

The website evaluation seems ok, your title is very inappropriate IMO. It has nothing to do with the website.

Last edited:
Evo said:
:rofl: Can you imagine my file?

That shipment of Ninfa's Green Sauce is on the way. o:)

When using a site like that, always consider what they include in their judging criteria. If you look at their list, which is a downloadable PDF file (that annoys me to have to download instead of having them just put the text on their site), it's really not about the environmental impact a company is making, but what policies they have implemented regarding environmental impact. So, a company that is very "green" in terms of not much polluting, good at conserving resources, etc., could still rank low if they haven't spelled it all out as company policy. A company belching out all sorts of pollutants into the environment, but with a policy to monitor how much they're polluting or to reduce some of that pollution, could score more highly than a cleaner business based on the criteria used.

If you really believe that CO2-induced global warming is today's biggest environmental problem, then it seems to me that the best thing to do would be to buy lots of durable wood products. Log cabins would be the most environmentally friendly construction because of the large amount of carbon sequestered. Similarly with paper books over e-books.

I'm ALL for being 'green'---but its hard to tell a country (or the poor people) who are on the 'doorstep' of becoming industrialized 'not' to take some advantage of their natural resources ----just 'how much' is the question.

can you imagine IF the USA was just now coming to a point of industrialization, to tell people that they can't cut down trees to make houses, furniture, and to get farmland?

I think the USA has only about 1% of its original 'virgin' forest left and its usually considered a national treasure (except by some of the logging industry).

We can go by 'we learned our lesson by screwing up our environment' (but in a lot of places we still are doing it)--so, a lot of those countries may 'listen' but business/'the economy' of most places (including the USA still) usually overrides things---like offshore drilling, damming rivers, etc. I think the 'snowy owl' thing is still going on.

In terms of carbon footprint, a sustainable logging industry is probably the most "green" industry there is. They sequester an enormous amount of CO2 and then remove it from the environment.

DaleSpam said:
In terms of carbon footprint, a sustainable logging industry is probably the most "green" industry there is. They sequester an enormous amount of CO2 and then remove it from the environment.

yeah...but...they usually still have to 'cut' down the original old growth to have a place to 'farm' trees

An old growth forest no longer sequesters CO2, so from a carbon perspective old growth is not beneficial. The easiest way to remove massive amounts of CO2 from the environment is to continuously generate new biomass that is then removed from the environment. I think the logging industry is the only industry that does this.

DaleSpam said:
An old growth forest no longer sequesters CO2, so from a carbon perspective old growth is not beneficial. The easiest way to remove massive amounts of CO2 from the environment is to continuously generate new biomass that is then removed from the environment. I think the logging industry is the only industry that does this.

there was a segment on one PBS shows about a guy trying to 'sell' the sequestered CO2 as part of 'cap' program of the old growth forests in New Guinea (I think)

part of what you're saying (I think) is about removing more co2, right?

Last edited:
rewebster said:
part of what you're saying (I think) is about removing more co2, right?
Yes, exactly. For example, the agricultural industry sequesters much more carbon than the logging industry, but as soon as someone metabolizes it that CO2 is released back to the atmosphere. But the carbon sequestered in wood furniture or construction lumber or even paper will stay out of the atmosphere for a long time.

Evo said:
We "could' go back to using sheepskin. But then, what is the environmental impact of the land used by the sheep, the sheep feces, farts, the environmental issues of the feed for the sheep, transporting the sheep, processing of the skin for parchment...
It would be a real boon for Moonbear, though! (yeah, I know, she doesn't do that so much any more - but I'm not letting it go)

WarPhalange said:

I almost spit my coffee out at that one. Friggin' awesome.

Moonbear said:
When using a site like that, always consider what they include in their judging criteria. If you look at their list, which is a downloadable PDF file (that annoys me to have to download instead of having them just put the text on their site), it's really not about the environmental impact a company is making, but what policies they have implemented regarding environmental impact. So, a company that is very "green" in terms of not much polluting, good at conserving resources, etc., could still rank low if they haven't spelled it all out as company policy. A company belching out all sorts of pollutants into the environment, but with a policy to monitor how much they're polluting or to reduce some of that pollution, could score more highly than a cleaner business based on the criteria used.

Good point. Their score is based on how much the company has recently reduced its carbon footprint or how much it intends to. So, for example, if a company already reduced their carbon footprint to a minimal level, they might get a low score.

If I were Wood Turner, the director of ClimateCounts, I would respond by saying: the market economy in the US makes environmentally destructive practices so much easier and more profitable than environmentally friendly practices that you really have to make a positive effort in order to be green.

DaleSpam said:

Logging works if the old biomass doesn't rot. However, having worked as a logger (choker setter) when I was in college, I know that a lot of biomass is left in the forest to rot or is burned to put nutrients back in the soil. It would take a lot of new growth to counter this.

Yes, you are correct that less than 100% of the biomass is harvested, but I am not sure I understand your point. The majority (also less than 100%) of the biomass that is harvested is sequestered from the environment, and the land is then available for a new cycle of growth and harvesting.

What is a tree-hating business?

A tree-hating business is a company or organization that engages in activities that harm or destroy trees, either intentionally or unintentionally.

Why should I not buy from tree-hating businesses?

By purchasing products or services from tree-hating businesses, you are supporting their harmful practices and contributing to the destruction of our planet's trees. Trees play a crucial role in our ecosystem and by avoiding these businesses, you can help protect them.

How can I identify tree-hating businesses?

There are a few ways to identify tree-hating businesses. One way is to research the company's environmental track record and if they have a history of deforestation or other harmful practices. Another way is to look for certifications such as the Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) which guarantees products come from responsibly managed forests.

What can I do instead of buying from tree-hating businesses?

There are many alternatives to buying from tree-hating businesses. You can look for products and services from companies that prioritize sustainability and eco-friendliness. You can also support local businesses that source their materials ethically and sustainably.

How can I make a difference in the fight against tree-hating businesses?

As a consumer, you hold a lot of power in influencing businesses. By choosing to not support tree-hating businesses and spreading awareness about their harmful practices, you can encourage others to do the same. You can also support environmental organizations and participate in activism to advocate for policies that protect trees and the environment.