What is the average kinetic energy per atom of He in a gas mixture at 448 K?

In summary, the gas contains a mixture of He and Ne at a temperature of 448 K with 0.85 mole of He and 2 mole of Ne. The average kinetic energy per molecule of He is given by the equation KE(bar) = (3/2)kT, where k is Boltzmann's constant and T is the temperature. For part 2, the same equation can be used to find the average kinetic energy per molecule of Ne. Finally, for part 3, the average total kinetic energy of He can be found by multiplying the average kinetic energy per molecule by the number of He atoms.
Punjabi.Sher
A gas contains a mixture of He and Ne.
The gas is at a temperature of 448 K, with
0.85 mole of He and 2 mole of Ne.
Avogadro’s number is 6.02 × 1023 mol−1,
and Boltzmann’s constant is 1.38×10−23 J/K.
What is the average kinetic energy per
molecule of He? Answer in units of J.

2. KE(bar) = (1/2)mv² = (3/2)kT

3. The middle equation above gives you the average kinetic energy, but I don't have any velocity. Can someone please guide me with this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
wow, it was just a matter of typing it in correctly. I can't believe this, because I am doing these online, so I didn't know how to type in very small values like with exponents.

Ok there's part 2 to this question. It looks so similar to this, but the same method doesn't give me the right answer.

Part 2: What is the average kinetic energy per
molecule of Ne?

Part 3: What is the average total kinetic energy of
He? Answer in units of J.

For part 3 it sounds like the want average kinetic energy per atom of He * number of atoms of He.

What is average kinetic energy?

Average kinetic energy is a measure of the average amount of energy that molecules in a substance have due to their motion. It is a type of kinetic energy that is calculated by taking the average of the individual kinetic energies of all the molecules in a substance.

How is average kinetic energy calculated?

The formula for average kinetic energy is KE = (1/2)mv^2, where m is the mass of the molecule and v is its velocity. This formula takes into account both the mass and velocity of each molecule to determine the average kinetic energy.

What factors affect average kinetic energy?

The average kinetic energy of a substance is affected by the temperature, mass, and velocity of its molecules. As temperature increases, the average kinetic energy of the molecules also increases. Additionally, molecules with higher mass and velocity will have higher average kinetic energy.

How does average kinetic energy relate to temperature?

Average kinetic energy is directly proportional to temperature. This means that as temperature increases, the average kinetic energy of the molecules in a substance also increases. This relationship is described by the Kinetic Theory of Gases.

Why is average kinetic energy important?

Average kinetic energy is important because it is a fundamental concept in understanding the behavior and properties of matter. It is used in many scientific fields, including thermodynamics, chemistry, and physics, to explain the behavior of gases, liquids, and solids.