What is the Impact of Locust Swarms on Human Health and Agriculture?

• Thread starter tribdog
  • Start date
In summary: The biblical reference is a tip for dealing with grasshoppers.I have a nice powerful airsoft gun to take care of problems like that.Both crickets and grasshoppers are plentiful around here, but they seem to arrive this time every year. Is it just me, or is it getting warmer?It's just you. The weather seems to be warming up.In summary, a grasshopper jumped into the eye of the protagonist and he doesn't know if it was deliberate or just because there are so many of them out there. He thinks the best way to deal with them is to hone his sniping skills. He has a nice airsoft gun to take care of the problem if necessary.
tribdog
I just walked across the street to get something to eat and a grasshopper jumped into my eye. I don't know if it deliberate or just because there are TONS of them outside right now.

Physics news on Phys.org
So, so glad I live in a place that doesn't get insect plagues...:yuck:...!

When we have things like this, like last summer, I'd go outside with a bb gun and hone my sniping skills. That was always fun.

Snipe-shooting grasshoppers would be impressive indeed.

Very fun.

i have a nice powerful airsoft gun to take care of problems like that.

Biblical? Do in Rome what the Romans do and eat them. Tip for MiH?

Both crickets and grasshoppers are plentiful around here, but they seem to arrive this time every year. I think it's time to give up on the tomatoes I've been trying to grow...when I watered them yesterday, a cricket jumped off the plant onto my foot. :rolleyes: What the crazy weather hasn't killed off yet, the crickets and grasshoppers seem ready to finish.

How does one manage to hit a target that small?

Uck. I remember one year on the farm where grasshoppers were so bad in our area, they were pretty well destroying crops they were so bad. Everyones vehicles were coated in grasshopper guts and had that distinctive dead grasshopper smell, some places were so bad the road looked like it was moving. You would walk out in the field to look at the crop and they would be buzzing all around you and hitting you. It was gross.

Once when I was a kid there was a plague of crickets in my town. I lived in a cul-de-sac and me and the neighbor kids took a big can of PVC cement and went around dropping some on each cricket. It didn't seem to be killing them so we decided to light one on fire. As soon as we lit it the flames took off and shot to each cricket we had cemented. The whole cul-de-sac was on fire for a couple of seconds. Got in a little bit of trouble for that one.

I've eaten a grasshopper, really no taste when cooked. Just pull off the head and entrails and skewer it on some grass.

How does one hit a target so small? Hey I wasn't claiming I was shooting a large distance, generally it was just a few yards.

I know positively zero about shooting anything. Ergo: I can envision hitting a large target but not a small one, no matter the distance.

GeorginaS said:
Snipe-shooting grasshoppers would be impressive indeed.

When you're shooting at a plague of them it's not that hard to hit one.

GeorginaS said:
positively zero

I thought zero was always neutral... ;-)

binzing said:
I thought zero was always neutral... ;-)

It is. And I'm convinced of its neutrality. ;-)

1. What is a Biblical plague of locusts?

A Biblical plague of locusts refers to the events described in the Bible where God sent a swarm of locusts to inflict punishment on the Egyptians during the time of Moses and the Exodus. The locusts were said to be so numerous that they covered the entire land and devoured all the crops, causing widespread destruction and devastation.

2. Are locust plagues still a common occurrence?

Locust plagues still occur today, especially in parts of Africa, the Middle East, and Asia. However, with the advancements in technology and better pest control measures, they are not as frequent or severe as they were in ancient times.

3. What causes a swarm of locusts to form?

A swarm of locusts is formed when certain environmental conditions, such as high temperatures and humidity, create a favorable breeding environment for locusts. This causes them to multiply rapidly, leading to a large group of locusts that can travel long distances in search of food.

4. Can locust plagues be prevented?

While it is not possible to completely prevent locust plagues, measures can be taken to control and minimize their impact. These include early detection and monitoring, using pesticides and other control methods, and implementing sustainable farming practices to reduce the likelihood of locust swarms forming.

5. Is there a deeper meaning behind the Biblical plague of locusts?

Some believe that the Biblical plague of locusts holds a spiritual significance, representing God's power and judgment. Others interpret it as a lesson in obedience and consequences for disobeying God. Ultimately, the interpretation of the plague of locusts is open to individual beliefs and perspectives.