Creating lift equation-NEED HELP

• Thread starter FutureFighter
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lift
In summary, for a course assignment, the task is to propose an equation for lift (L) as a function of three parameters: area (A), air density (ρ), and velocity (v). The student is seeking help and guidance on how these variables may affect lift, and is encouraged to consider the relationships between them in order to develop a suitable equation. It is suggested to include a constant of proportionality in the equation.
FutureFighter
Creating lift equation---NEED HELP!

For a course I am taking, I need to determine a lift equation based on some variables.

Propose an equation for lift as a function of your three parameters. That is, if L=lift, A=Area, ρ=air density, and v=velocity, determine L(A, ρ, v).

I am just so lost--any help would be most appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org

FutureFighter said:
For a course I am taking, I need to determine a lift equation based on some variables.

Propose an equation for lift as a function of your three parameters. That is, if L=lift, A=Area, ρ=air density, and v=velocity, determine L(A, ρ, v).

I am just so lost--any help would be most appreciated!

Welcome to PF.

What do you think? How will Area affect Lift? Will it get larger with larger area or smaller?
Same with Air Density. Do you expect that you can get greater lift with denser air or thinner air?
Same again with velocity. Bigger lift with greater V or smaller?

Take the expression F = M*A The Force is greater for greater Mass or greater acceleration. But for the same Force greater Mass means smaller acceleration.

They want you to develop a relationship that reflects these interrelationships of the variables presented.

(As a tip: It can't hurt to put a constant of proportionality in, even if it turns out to be 1.)

Hello,

I understand that you are having trouble creating a lift equation for your course. I am happy to help you with this task.

The lift equation is an important concept in aerodynamics and is used to calculate the amount of lift generated by an object, such as an airplane, in a fluid, such as air. The equation is typically written as:

L = ½ ρ v² A CL

Where L is the lift force, ρ is the air density, v is the velocity, A is the surface area of the object, and CL is the coefficient of lift.

To determine the lift equation as a function of your three parameters (A, ρ, and v), we can rearrange the equation as follows:

L = ½ ρ v² A CL

L/A = ½ ρ v² CL

L(A, ρ, v) = ½ ρ v² CL

This means that the lift equation as a function of A, ρ, and v is equal to half of the air density times the velocity squared times the coefficient of lift.

I hope this helps you understand the lift equation better. If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to ask. Good luck with your course!

Best,

1. What is the lift equation?

The lift equation is a mathematical formula used to calculate the amount of lift generated by an object, such as an airplane wing, in a fluid, such as air.

2. What are the variables in the lift equation?

The lift equation includes the variables of lift force (L), air density (ρ), velocity (V), wing area (A), and a coefficient of lift (CL). These variables are used to calculate the lift force generated by an object.

3. How is the lift equation derived?

The lift equation is derived from the principles of fluid dynamics and Bernoulli's equation, which states that as the velocity of a fluid increases, the pressure decreases. This pressure difference creates lift on an object in the fluid.

4. What is the significance of the coefficient of lift in the lift equation?

The coefficient of lift (CL) is a dimensionless factor that takes into account the shape and angle of the object in the fluid. It is an important factor in the lift equation as it represents the object's ability to generate lift at different angles of attack.

5. How is the lift equation used in aircraft design?

The lift equation is a fundamental tool used in aircraft design to determine the optimal wing shape, size, and angle of attack for efficient flight. It allows engineers to calculate the lift generated by different wing designs and make adjustments to improve flight performance.