Finding distance and angle of crash between plane and rocket

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem in which a 575 unmanned spy plane traveling north at an altitude of 2700 and a speed of 450 is intercepted by a 1280 rocket traveling east at 725. The question asks for the location of impact in relation to the point of impact, giving the direction as an angle east of north. The solution involves using the equations F=ma, p=sqrt((m_1v_1)^2+(m_2v_2)^2), vinitial=p/sum of m, and sf=si+vi*t+1/2a*t^2 to find the time of impact and the distance traveled by the objects. The correct answer is 12.2 km
jheld

Homework Statement

In a military test, a 575 unmanned spy plane is traveling north at an altitude of 2700 and a speed of 450 . It is intercepted by a 1280 rocket traveling east at 725 .

If the rocket and the spy plane become enmeshed in a tangled mess, where, relative to the point of impact, do they hit the ground? Give the direction as an angle east of north.

Homework Equations

F = ma
p = sqrt((m_1v_1)^2+(m_2v_2)^2)
vinitial = p/sum of m
sf = si + vi*t +1/2a*t^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I found Vinital by doing v = p/m, and got 519.352 m/s.

then i plugged that value into yf = yi + vi*t + 1/2a*t^2, and using yf = -2700.

then i used the quadratic formula to solve for t, and using the negative root (because of logistics) and ended up with t = 4.966 seconds.
then plugged that into xf = xi + vi*t, and ended up with 2.58 km.
the answer should be 12.2 km. so, I'm not sure what I am doing incorrectly.

Physics news on Phys.org
jheld said:

Homework Statement

In a military test, a 575 unmanned spy plane is traveling north at an altitude of 2700 and a speed of 450 . It is intercepted by a 1280 rocket traveling east at 725 .

If the rocket and the spy plane become enmeshed in a tangled mess, where, relative to the point of impact, do they hit the ground? Give the direction as an angle east of north.

Homework Equations

F = ma
p = sqrt((m_1v_1)^2+(m_2v_2)^2)
vinitial = p/sum of m
sf = si + vi*t +1/2a*t^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I found Vinital by doing v = p/m, and got 519.352 m/s.

then i plugged that value into yf = yi + vi*t + 1/2a*t^2, and using yf = -2700.

then i used the quadratic formula to solve for t, and using the negative root (because of logistics) and ended up with t = 4.966 seconds.
then plugged that into xf = xi + vi*t, and ended up with 2.58 km.
the answer should be 12.2 km. so, I'm not sure what I am doing incorrectly.

There is no quadratic. There is merely the time for it to fall from 2700 m

2700 = 1/2*(9.8)*t2

It's this time times your horizontal velocity that determines how far away.

Okay, I understand that in doing this, you get the 12.2 km, but isn't the equation:
yfinal = yinital + vinitial*t + 1/2*a*t^2?
so why cut off part of the equation?

thanks for the help

jheld said:
Okay, I understand that in doing this, you get the 12.2 km, but isn't the equation:
yfinal = yinital + vinitial*t + 1/2*a*t^2?
so why cut off part of the equation?

thanks for the help

Strictly speaking the the plane and missile are in a horizontal x,y plane. Whatever velocity they have is not in the z-axis (up/down). Since there are no components of velocity from the crash in the z direction your initial z-velocity is 0, but it is the only component subject to gravity.

Hence the equation devolves into the simple z = 1/2*g*t2

1. How do you calculate the distance between a plane and a rocket at the time of a crash?

To calculate the distance between a plane and a rocket at the time of a crash, you will need to know the velocities and positions of both objects. Once you have this information, you can use the distance formula, which is distance = speed x time, to calculate the distance between the two objects at the time of the crash.

2. What factors can affect the accuracy of calculating the distance between a plane and a rocket during a crash?

There are several factors that can affect the accuracy of calculating the distance between a plane and a rocket during a crash. These include errors in measurement or data collection, environmental factors such as wind or turbulence, and the initial positions and velocities of the objects.

3. How do you determine the angle of impact between a plane and a rocket during a crash?

To determine the angle of impact between a plane and a rocket during a crash, you will need to analyze the trajectories of both objects. This can be done by examining the positions and velocities of the objects at various points in time and using trigonometric functions to calculate the angle of the trajectory.

4. What are some techniques for analyzing the data and determining the distance and angle of a plane-rocket crash?

Some techniques for analyzing the data and determining the distance and angle of a plane-rocket crash include using mathematical equations and formulas, creating graphs and charts to visualize the data, and using computer simulations to model the crash. It is important to use multiple techniques to ensure accuracy and verify the results.

5. How can the distance and angle of a plane-rocket crash be used in accident investigations?

The distance and angle of a plane-rocket crash can be used in accident investigations to determine the cause of the crash and to make improvements in safety measures. By analyzing the data and understanding the factors that contributed to the crash, changes can be made to prevent similar accidents from happening in the future.