Generator of the additive gr. Z_m

In summary, the conversation is discussing the proof of a proposition stating that \bar a is a generator of the additive group Z_m if and only if gcm(m,a)=1. The speakers are struggling with translating the proof for cyclic groups to additive groups and are seeking help and clarification. Ultimately, one of the speakers figures out the proof and the conversation ends.
sutupidmath
Hi all,

I am having trouble proving the following proposition:

[tex]\bar a[/tex] is a generator of the additive group [tex]Z_m [/tex] if and only if gcm(m,a)=1.

Well, first let's start with what i know.

I know how to prove the following:

Let G=[a] be a cyclic group of order q. Show that [tex] a^s[/tex] is a generator of G, iff gcd(s,q)=1.

proof:
(<=) Suppose that gcd(s,q)=1, then there exist some integers x,y such that

1=sx+qy, so

[tex]a^1=a^{sx}a^{qy}=(a^s)^x(a^q)^y=(a^s)^xe^y=(a^s)^x[/tex] so since there exists an integer x, such that [tex] (a^s)^x=a[/tex] then [tex] G=[a^s][/tex]

(=>) Now, suppose that [tex] a^s[/tex] is a generator of G. THen there should exist some integer k such that

[tex] (a^s)^k=a=>a^{sk}=a=>a^{sk-1}=e[/tex] now from a theorem we know that

q|(sk-1)=> there exists some integer n such that sk-1=mq=>1=sk+(-m)q=>gcd(s,q)=1.

Now i tried to translate this for the additive groups. And here is where the problems start to come in play, for only to get worse when i go to Z_m.

So, i am trying to prove the following:

Let G be an additive group generated by a, where o(G)=q. Prove that s*a is a generator of G iff gcd(s,q)=1.
Proof:
(<=) Suppose that gcd(s,q)=1. Now, as before, there exist x,y integers, such that

1=sx+qy

now: 1*a=(sx+qy)a=(sx)a+(qy)a= x(sa)+y(qa).---(@)
(Now, here i believe that if we Translate the Lagranges theorem into terms of an additive group it would be sth like this, right: "Let G be a finite group with order r. Then the order of each subgroup H in G, and the order of each element a of G is an integral divisor or r. Also r*g=0 for every el. g in G."Basically i am concerned whether the last part would be correct that is: from g^r =e into r*g=e=0. Since in the book we are using we are denoting with 0 the identity in an additive group.)

Now, if this is true, then we get from (@) a=x(sa). Now since there is an integer x, such that this holds, i assume we can conclude that G=[sa], that is sa generates the group G.

(=>) now let's suppose that sa is a generator for the group G. Then there exists some integer k such that k(sa)=a=> k(sa)-a=0 => (ks-1)a=0. Now, since the order of a is q. it follows that

q|(ks-1)=> ks-1=mq =>1=ks +(-m)q , so it follows that gcd(s,q)=1.

Well, let me give a crack to my main issue now:

[tex]\bar a[/tex] is a generator of the additive group [tex]Z_m [/tex] if and only if gcm(m,a)=1.
Proof: again let's suppose that gcd(a,m)=1. so there are integers x, y such that

1=ax+my.

Now, i know that [tex]\bar a = a+[m][/tex] so let [tex][\bar a]=\{k\bar a:k\in Z\}=\{ka+k(rm):r,k\in Z\}[/tex] in particular let [tex] u\in [\bar a][/tex] so, [tex]u=ak+k(rm)[/tex]

So, this would mean that any linear combination of a and m is also in a+[m]. Now since

1=ax+my, i am saying that [tex]1\in a+[m]=\bar a[/tex]

ok let's stop here, cuz, i lost my stream of thought!

Any hints, ideas, would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, i know the previous post is way too long, so if you don't have time to have a look at it, the whole thing is about the following:

Prove that
[tex]\bar a[/tex] is a generator of the additive group [tex]Z_m[/tex] if and only if gcm(m,a)=1.

Nevermind, i figuret it out. Thnx though!

1. What is a generator of the additive group Z_m?

A generator of the additive group Z_m is an element that, when added to itself, generates all other elements in the group. In other words, it is a number that can be repeatedly added to itself to create all possible values in the group.

2. How do you find a generator of the additive group Z_m?

To find a generator of the additive group Z_m, you need to use a process called trial division. This involves testing different numbers to see if they generate all other elements in the group when added to themselves. The first number that satisfies this condition is the generator.

3. What is the order of a generator of the additive group Z_m?

The order of a generator of the additive group Z_m is the number of elements in the group that can be generated by repeatedly adding the generator to itself. This is also known as the order of the group.

4. Can there be multiple generators of the additive group Z_m?

Yes, there can be multiple generators of the additive group Z_m. For example, in the group Z_6, both 1 and 5 are generators because they can both be added to themselves to generate all other elements in the group.

5. How is a generator used in the additive group Z_m?

A generator is used in the additive group Z_m to help perform calculations and determine the properties of the group. It can also be used to generate random numbers in the group, which can be useful in applications such as cryptography.