What are the minimum computer specs for running WoW?

• Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Computer
In summary, your son can run WoW off a 1/2 Tb internal SATA drive, but he may run into trouble if he tries to run the game off a SATA host adapter and a slave drive that is IDE.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
I've got a kid who wants a CPU that will support WoW. It is currently running on our home computer but it is using way too much disk space. If he's going to do nothing with this new comp except play WoW, what does he need? I know that all modern computers these days will likely have enough RAM and disk space etc. but I'd like to set some minimums so he can get one as cheap as possible and not get extras features he doesn't need.

I'm presuming the most critical factor is the video card's speed and amount of memory.

Computer science news on Phys.org
I would say 2GB RAM, 80GB-120GB hard drive, 128MB-512MB video card (better if nVidia) and 3.0GHz for normal processor or 2.0 for Dual core.

don't let your kid play that. I have experience in MMORPG's, I'm 16 years old and all the games almost took all my time since 10 years old. Your kid probably will say "Daddy I'll let you put parental control for timing", don't get convinced by that, those games specially WoW is a complete addiction.

Sakha said:
I would say 2GB RAM, 80GB-120GB hard drive, 128MB-512MB video card (better if nVidia) and 3.0GHz for normal processor or 2.0 for Dual core.
Cool.
Sakha said:
don't let your kid play that. I have experience in MMORPG's, I'm 16 years old and all the games almost took all my time since 10 years old. Your kid probably will say "Daddy I'll let you put parental control for timing", don't get convinced by that, those games specially WoW is a complete addiction.
He's 26. But thanks. :wink:

Well, according to several people, WoW can run off almost any kind of drive - an internal HD, external HD, even a jump drive.

So I bought a 1/2 Tb internal SATA drive. I'm glad I planned ahead to install it, it seems my system does not have a SATA data connector. Not that I can see anyway. So I'm off to the store to get a SATA host adapter. Will I have nay troubles running the master drive (which I guess is IDE?) with a slave drive that's SATA?

1. What are the minimum system requirements for playing World of Warcraft?

The minimum system requirements for playing World of Warcraft include a 64-bit operating system, Intel Core i5-760 or AMD FX-8100 or better processor, 4GB RAM, and a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 2GB or AMD Radeon HD 7850 2GB or Intel HD Graphics 530 (45W) or better graphics card.

2. How much RAM do I need for playing World of Warcraft?

The recommended amount of RAM for playing World of Warcraft is 8GB. However, the minimum requirement is 4GB, which may result in lower performance.

3. Do I need a gaming laptop or desktop to play World of Warcraft?

You can play World of Warcraft on either a laptop or a desktop, as long as it meets the minimum system requirements. However, a gaming laptop with a dedicated graphics card may provide better performance.

4. What is the recommended graphics card for playing World of Warcraft?

The recommended graphics card for playing World of Warcraft is the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 or AMD Radeon R9 390 or better. These graphics cards will provide a smoother and more visually appealing gaming experience.

5. Can I upgrade my computer to meet the system requirements for World of Warcraft?

Yes, you can upgrade certain components of your computer, such as the processor, graphics card, and RAM, to meet the system requirements for World of Warcraft. However, it may be more cost-effective to purchase a new computer if your current one is significantly outdated.