How to find S(+) 3 x 3 matrix?

• Thread starter philip041
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrix
In summary, we are discussing the spin states |1>, |0>, and |-1>, which can be represented as column matrices [1 0 0], [0 1 0], and [0 0 1] respectively. We are trying to find the 3 x 3 matrices for the operators S(+) and S(-) that operate on these states to give the correct answers, such as S(-)|1> = sqrt(2)*h(bar)*|0>. We can use the general form of the lowering operator matrix, \textbf{S}_{-} = \begin{bmatrix} A & B & C \\ D & E & F \\ G & H & I \end{b
philip041
For spin 1, the states are |1>, |-1> and |0>

These are written as:

|1> = column matrix[1 0 0]

|0> = column matrix [0 1 0]

|-1> = column matrix [0 0 1]

I need to find the 3 x 3 matrices for S(+) and S(-) which operate on these kets to give the correct answers eg.

S(-)|1> = sqrt(2)*h(bar)*|0>

I had tried getting linear eqns from the following:

[a b c] * [1] = h(bar)*sqrt(2)* [0]
[d e f] [0] [1]
[g h i] [0] [0]

but i just get

a + 0 + 0 = 0
d + 0 + 0 = 1* h(bar) * sqrt(2)
g + 0 + 0 = 0

This doesn't look remotely useful... I know the lowering operator is:

[ 0 0 0 ]
[sqrt(2) 0 0 ]
[ 0 sqrt(2) 0 ]

But how do I get there?

Cheers for any help

Philip

Physics news on Phys.org
it took out my carefully placed spacing in the eqns, hope this is still legible...

Apply the operator S_{-} both on |1>, |0> and |-1> and see what you get.

But I'm meant to be working out S_{1}..

I have checked the answer given and it works, by trying S_{-}|1> i get the right thing but i don't understand how you would work out S_{-} if you weren't given the answer?

philip041 said:
But I'm meant to be working out S_{1}..

I have checked the answer given and it works, by trying S_{-}|1> i get the right thing but i don't understand how you would work out S_{-} if you weren't given the answer?

Your column matrices for the spin states only have one nonzero term. Let the lowering operator matrix have the general form:

[tex]
\textbf{S}_{-} = \begin{bmatrix} A & B & C \\ D & E & F \\ G & H & I \end{bmatrix}
[/tex]

Now,

[tex] \textbf{S}_{-}\left|1\right> = [/tex] ?

What is the question mark equal to in terms of the generalized matrix elements? Do the same for the other two spin-vectors, and it should be evident how you can construct the matrix.

I think you get a 1 x 3 matrix with h(bar)*sqrt(2) in front of it, but only because I know those answers from a previous question I did.

[tex]
\textbf{S}_{-} = \begin{bmatrix} A \\ D \\ G \end{bmatrix}
[/tex]The others, would be:

[tex]
\textbf{S}_{-} = \begin{bmatrix} B \\ E \\ H \end{bmatrix}
[/tex]

[tex]
\textbf{S}_{-} = \begin{bmatrix} C \\ F \\ I \end{bmatrix}
[/tex]

Is this what you meant by a generalised matrix?

argh, obviously ignore the S(-) i was using your code cause I don't know how to do it myself. The S(-)s are meant to be ?s

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, i just got it cheers.

once you put the column vectors i just posted equal to the states you are expecting ie. B= 1 and H = 1

cheers

Exactly right. And what exactly are these generalized 1x3 matrices? What is the purpose of the lowering operator?

EDIT: I think your coefficient values B=1 and H=1 may be off. You know what the matrix is supposed to be, so you can verify.

Actually, to be more clear,

[tex]

\textbf{S}_{-}\left|1\right> = \begin{bmatrix} A \\ D \\ G \end{bmatrix} =\sqrt2\hbar \left|0\right>

[/tex]

Last edited:
sorry was being lazy by 1 i meant [tex] sqrt(2)\hbar [\tex]

they are the eigenvalues?

Be careful using the word "eigenvalue" here, since the lowering operator does not return an eigenvector (the same vector that it was acting on). I almost made the same mistake when thinking about how to explain it to you. Now, if you have to construct the Pauli Spin matrices, then these operators do return eigenvectors with the appropriate eigenvalue.

1. How do I identify the S(+) 3 x 3 matrix?

The S(+) 3 x 3 matrix is a special type of matrix that has a symmetric structure and contains only positive elements. It can be identified by its diagonal elements being equal to 1 and the rest of the elements being greater than or equal to 0.

2. What is the method for finding the S(+) 3 x 3 matrix?

The most common method for finding the S(+) 3 x 3 matrix is through diagonalization. This involves finding the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the matrix and using them to construct the diagonal matrix with 1s on the diagonal. The resulting matrix will be the S(+) 3 x 3 matrix.

3. Can the S(+) 3 x 3 matrix be found using other methods?

Yes, there are other methods for finding the S(+) 3 x 3 matrix such as the Cholesky decomposition method and the alternating projections method. However, diagonalization is the most commonly used method as it is simple and efficient.

4. What is the significance of the S(+) 3 x 3 matrix?

The S(+) 3 x 3 matrix is commonly used in statistics and data analysis as it represents a type of correlation matrix that ensures the resulting values are always positive. It is also used in various mathematical applications such as optimization and machine learning algorithms.

5. Can the S(+) 3 x 3 matrix be generalized to higher dimensions?

Yes, the concept of S(+) matrix can be extended to higher dimensions, such as S(+) n x n matrix. The main difference is that the diagonal elements will be equal to 1 and the remaining elements will be greater than or equal to 0 in each row and column. The same methods can be used to find the S(+) n x n matrix as the S(+) 3 x 3 matrix.