Combinatorics of the word RAKSH

In summary: I think it would be useful if you could help me out with this.The probability that there are at least n_R slips with R is n(n-1)/2. The probability that there are at least n_A slips with A is n(n-2)/2.
ritwik06

Homework Statement

There is a word given:
"RAKSH"
and n slips are provided. A person is free to write anyone of the letters (R,A,K,S,H) in each of the slips. Repetition is allowed, i.e. for eg. one such case would be that all the 'n' slips are filled with the letter "R'.

Then we begin our task:
First we groups of 1 slip from n
then groups of 2 slips from n
then groups of3
4,5,6,7...n.

Find the number of such groups formed that contain at least one of each of the letters, i.e. R,A,K,S,H!

The Attempt at a Solution

I was told that its a difficult question. Here is what I think:
it is obvious that groups of 1 to 4 members are useless. since there are 5 letters in RAKSH.

First I consider those cases in which at least one of each letter is there:
5 slips have been fixed as RAKSH. and there are remaining n-5 slips , each have 5 options to get filled with.
so is the answer 5n-5?
help me!

Physics news on Phys.org

The statement of the problem is not completely clear to me. Is this correct?

There are n slips of paper. Each slip is printed with a letter. For each slip, the letter has been selected at random, with equal probability, from a list of five letters.

We now choose k slips at random. What is the probability that each of the five letters occurs at least once?

Avodyne said:
The statement of the problem is not completely clear to me. Is this correct?

There are n slips of paper. Each slip is printed with a letter. For each slip, the letter has been selected at random, with equal probability, from a list of five letters.

We now choose k slips at random. What is the probability that each of the five letters occurs at least once?

Yup!

I am waiting for some help!

Well, if that's the setup, then the total number n of slips doesn't matter. Each of the k slips is equally likely to have any letter on it.

Can you write down the probability that there are exactly n_R slips with R, n_A slips with A, etc?

Avodyne said:
Well, if that's the setup, then the total number n of slips doesn't matter. Each of the k slips is equally likely to have any letter on it.

Can you write down the probability that there are exactly n_R slips with R, n_A slips with A, etc?

I am studying Permutation an Combination. I haven't yet studied probability.

What is the meaning of the word RAKSH?

The word RAKSH is derived from the Sanskrit language and it means "to protect" or "to guard".

What are the different combinations of the letters in the word RAKSH?

There are 120 possible combinations of the letters in the word RAKSH, which can be calculated using the formula n! / (n-r)! where n is the number of letters (5 in this case) and r is the number of letters in each combination (also 5 in this case).

How many different words can be formed using the letters in RAKSH?

There are 120 different words that can be formed using the letters in RAKSH, including the original word, as well as words like "shark" and "rash".

What is the probability of getting a specific combination of letters from RAKSH?

The probability of getting a specific combination of letters from RAKSH depends on the length of the combination. For example, the probability of getting "RAKSH" as a combination of 5 letters is 1/120 or 0.0083.

How does the word RAKSH relate to combinatorics?

The word RAKSH can be used as an example in combinatorics to illustrate the concept of permutations and combinations. It can also be used to explore various properties and applications of combinatorics in language and linguistics.