Trajectory of a Charge in an Electric Field

In summary, the problem involves a charged object being emitted from the origin with a constant electric field pointing in the positive y direction. The object is traveling with velocity v0 in the positive x direction and is aimed to hit a target on a screen located at x=L and y position yh. By using equations from Newton's Laws, we can determine that the magnitude of the electric field should be equal to the charge of the object multiplied by the acceleration and divided by its mass. This will allow the object to hit the target at the desired position on the screen.
TheLegace

Homework Statement

An charge with mass m and charge q is emitted from the origin, (x=0,y=0). A large, flat screen is located at x=L. There is a target on the screen at y position yh, where yh>0. In this problem, you will examine two different ways that the charge might hit the target. Ignore gravity in this problem.

Assume that the charge is emitted with velocity v0 in the positive x direction. Between the origin and the screen, the charge travels through a constant electric field pointing in the positive y direction. What should the magnitude E of the electric field be if the charge is to hit the target on the screen?

Homework Equations

The equations and questions is from this thread: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=59814

I just don't have much of an idea of where the y_h equation is coming from. Is from the forces or kinematics. I figured this equation is coming from original y = 1/2at^2, so I am assuming it is coming from a Newtons Law equation. F=ma=Fq. If not could someone please help, as soon I get to the y_h formula I think I can figure out the rest.

The Attempt at a Solution

x(t)=v0*t
y(t)=(1/2)*(q*E/m)*t^2
tfinal= L/v0

Thank You.

Physics news on Phys.org
TheLegace said:
I just don't have much of an idea of where the y_h equation is coming from. Is from the forces or kinematics. I figured this equation is coming from original y = 1/2at^2, so I am assuming it is coming from a Newtons Law equation. F=ma=Fq. If not could someone please help, as soon I get to the y_h formula I think I can figure out the rest.

The Attempt at a Solution

x(t)=v0*t
y(t)=(1/2)*(q*E/m)*t^2
tfinal= L/v0

Thank You.

You basically have it.

a comes from the q*E/m and you are using the acceleration, time distance relationship.

Plugging in L/Vo for t gives you the elevation y=h on the screen.

I would respond by saying that the equation for y(t) is derived from the equation for the motion of a charged particle in an electric field, which is given by F = qE. This equation represents the force on a charged particle (q) in an electric field (E). Using Newton's second law, F = ma, we can substitute qE for F and solve for the acceleration (a), which is then used in the equation for displacement in the y-direction, y(t) = (1/2)at^2. This equation gives the vertical position of the charged particle as a function of time. The equation for x(t) is simply the equation for displacement in the x-direction at constant velocity. The final time (tfinal) is found by equating x(t) to L, the distance to the screen, and solving for t. This is then used to find the value of the electric field (E) that will cause the charged particle to hit the target at a height of yh on the screen.

1. What is the trajectory of a charge in an electric field?

The trajectory of a charge in an electric field refers to the path that the charge takes when it is placed in an electric field. This path is influenced by the strength and direction of the electric field.

2. How is the trajectory of a charge determined in an electric field?

The trajectory of a charge in an electric field is determined by the electric field strength, the charge of the particle, and its initial velocity. These factors affect the force exerted on the charge, which in turn determines its path.

3. What happens to the trajectory of a charge when the electric field is changed?

When the electric field is changed, the trajectory of a charge will also change. This is because the strength and direction of the electric field affect the force on the charge, which ultimately determines its path.

4. How does the charge of a particle affect its trajectory in an electric field?

The charge of a particle has a significant impact on its trajectory in an electric field. A particle with a positive charge will be attracted to the negative end of an electric field, while a particle with a negative charge will be repelled by the negative end and attracted to the positive end.

5. What is the relationship between the trajectory of a charge and the electric field lines?

The trajectory of a charge is closely related to the electric field lines. The path of a charge will always be perpendicular to the electric field lines at any given point. This is because the electric field lines represent the direction of the electric field, which determines the force on the charge and thus its trajectory.