Find Sn of 2/n^2+4n+3 Series - Any Help is Great!

• Thread starter remaan
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the general form of Sn for the series 2/n^2 + 4n + 3, after factorizing the denominator. The person asking for help is stuck on finding Sn and is advised to express it in partial fraction form and to show more of their work.
remaan

Homework Statement

If the series is 2/n^2 +4n+3

Homework Equations

After factorizing the Den who to find Sn ?

The Attempt at a Solution

I found S1 and S2 and S3 ...S6 and then how to find Sn (general form) ??

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You want to express it in partial fraction form. Like A/(x+a)+B/(x+b). Did you factorize the denominator?

Oh, you I am done with all the steps, except the last thing which is finding the Sn - general form.

Then don't you notice that there's a term in a_(n+2) that cancels a term in a_(n). I wish you would show more of your work.

Ok.. Thanks Dick .

1. What is the formula for finding the sum of a series?

The formula for finding the sum of a series is Sn = n(a1 + an)/2, where n is the number of terms in the series, a1 is the first term, and an is the last term.

2. What is the first step in finding the sum of a series?

The first step in finding the sum of a series is to determine the number of terms in the series. This can be done by counting the terms or using a formula.

3. How do I find the value of an individual term in the series?

The value of an individual term can be found by plugging in the corresponding value for n in the given series. For example, if n = 3, then the value of the third term would be found by plugging in 3 for n in the series and solving for the term.

4. What do I do if the series is infinite?

If the series is infinite, then you can use a limit to find the sum. The limit of a series is the value that the sum approaches as n approaches infinity. This can be calculated using specific formulas or with the help of a calculator.

5. How do I know if the series is convergent or divergent?

The series is convergent if the limit as n approaches infinity exists and is a finite number. This means that the sum of the series will converge to a specific value. The series is divergent if the limit does not exist or if it is equal to infinity or negative infinity. This means that the sum of the series does not have a specific value and will either increase or decrease without bound.