Prove det(A+I)=0 when Matrix A is Nilpotent

• Thread starter lukaszh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Determinant
In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove that the determinant of A+I equals 1, given that A is a nilpotent matrix. The experts suggest finding the eigenvalues of A+I and utilizing the fact that A^k = 0 to prove that all eigenvalues of A are zero. This, in turn, proves the desired result.
lukaszh
Hello,
I don't want how to prove: Matrix A is nilpotent, so A^k=0. Prove that det(A+I)=0.
Thank you so much :-)

Physics news on Phys.org
What you state is trivially false - take A=0, that is nilpotent, and det(0+I) is not zero.

In fact, det(A^k) = det(A)^k, so det(A) must be zero. Alternatively, A^k = 0, so A cannot be injective, so det(A) = 0.

By the way, this shows that 0 is an eigenvalue of A. Something stronger is true: 0 is the ONLY eigenvalue of A.

I think lukaszh's problem statement should be: prove that det(A+I) = 1.

I'm so sorry, because I've made a mistake. Prove that det(A+I)=1. Thank you again for your reactions.

lukaszh said:
I'm so sorry, because I've made a mistake. Prove that det(A+I)=1. Thank you again for your reactions.

First, find all the eigenvalues of A+I. Then, use what you know about how to calculate the determinant of a linear map given its eigenvalues.

Hello,
so, I know that
[tex]A=S\Lambda S^{-1}[/tex]
Eigenvalues of A are [tex]\{\lambda_1,\lambda_2,\cdots,\lambda_n\}[/tex] for [tex]n\times n[/tex] matrix. If I add to both sides identity, then
[tex]A+I=S\Lambda S^{-1}+I=S\Lambda S^{-1}+SS^{-1}=S(\Lambda+I)S^{-1}[/tex]
Its determinant is
[tex]\mathrm{det}(A+I)=\mathrm{det}S(\Lambda+I)S^{-1}=\mathrm{det}(\Lambda+I)=\prod_{j=1}^{n}(\lambda_j+1)[/tex]
I don't know, how to utilize fact [tex]A^k=0[/tex] :-(

lukaszh said:
Hello,
so, I know that
[tex]A=S\Lambda S^{-1}[/tex]
Eigenvalues of A are [tex]\{\lambda_1,\lambda_2,\cdots,\lambda_n\}[/tex] for [tex]n\times n[/tex] matrix. If I add to both sides identity, then
[tex]A+I=S\Lambda S^{-1}+I=S\Lambda S^{-1}+SS^{-1}=S(\Lambda+I)S^{-1}[/tex]
Its determinant is
[tex]\mathrm{det}(A+I)=\mathrm{det}S(\Lambda+I)S^{-1}=\mathrm{det}(\Lambda+I)=\prod_{j=1}^{n}(\lambda_j+1)[/tex]
I don't know, how to utilize fact [tex]A^k=0[/tex] :-(

[tex]\lambda[/tex] is an eigenvalue of A + I if and only if

[tex](A + I)x = \lambda x[/tex]

for some nonzero vector x. This is true if and only if

[tex]Ax = (\lambda - 1)x[/tex]

which is true if and only if [tex]\lambda - 1[/tex] is an eigenvalue of A.

I claim that [tex]A^k = 0[/tex] implies that all of the eigenvalues of A are zero. If you can prove this claim then it implies the result you want.

Beautiful, thank you.

Question 1: What does it mean for a matrix to be nilpotent?

A nilpotent matrix is a square matrix where there exists a positive integer k such that A^k = 0, where 0 is the zero matrix. This means that when the matrix is raised to the kth power, it becomes the zero matrix.

Question 2: Why is the identity matrix added to the nilpotent matrix in this proof?

The identity matrix (I) is added to the nilpotent matrix (A) to simplify the proof. It allows us to use the identity property of matrix multiplication, which states that multiplying any matrix by the identity matrix will result in the original matrix. This simplifies the proof and allows us to show that det(A+I) = det(A) + det(I) = det(A) + 1 = 0 + 1 = 1.

Question 3: How do we know that det(A+I) = det(A) + 1?

This is a property of determinants. When a multiple of a row or column is added to another row or column, the determinant remains unchanged. In this case, we are adding the identity matrix (which is a multiple of the original matrix) to the nilpotent matrix, so the determinant remains the same.

Question 4: Why does det(A) = 0 in this proof?

Since A is nilpotent, there exists a positive integer k such that A^k = 0. This means that the determinant of A^k is also equal to 0. And since the determinant of a matrix raised to a power is equal to the determinant of the matrix multiplied by itself k times, we can say that det(A^k) = det(A)^k = 0. This means that det(A) = 0.

Question 5: How does showing det(A+I) = 1 prove that det(A+I) = 0 when A is nilpotent?

If det(A+I) = 1, and we have shown that det(A+I) = det(A) + 1 = 0 + 1 = 1, then this means that det(A) = 0. Since we know that det(A) = 0 from the previous steps, this confirms that det(A+I) = 0. Therefore, we have proven that det(A+I) = 0 when A is nilpotent.