Hamiltonian is commutable with momentum operator

In summary: Fourier transform for eigenfuntion of energy Yes, we can get the wavefunction of momentum through the Fourier transform for the energy eigenfunction.
eigenpost53
[H,P]=0 , where P is momentum operator.

Hamiltonian is commutable with momentum operator. so H and p have
wave function simultaniously, but in 1-dimensional potential well degeneracy
not exist.

what is the reason?

Physics news on Phys.org
Not so, e^{ip} and e^{-ip} have opposite momenta, but the same energy.

A particle in a well is not a free particle. The momentum eigenstates are not simple compex exponentials. Basically, a momentum eigenstate involves an integration over all space. Just because the particle has a zero probability of being outside the well does not allow you to ignore the well when considering the momentum eigenstates (otherwise, you would get a wavefunction that says the particle can be outside the well, i.e. periodic B.C.s).

As far as I remember, momentum only commutes with the Hamiltonian for a free particle Hamiltonian (or in a configuration space orthogonal to all of the constraint degrees of freedom).

thanks for your answer,but i don't get it well

Is the Hamiltonian commutable with momentum operator in the 1- dimensional finite well?
can you see [p^2/2m +v , P]=0 is to formed, for V=constant?
why in this case, we can't find degeneracy?

why eigenstate of momenta are not exsist when it is 1-dimentional infinite well?
wave fuction of momenta which we could get through Fourier transform for eigenfuntion of energy
can not to be satify by wave funtion should be 0 in between potential boundary
therefore si(0)=psi(L)=0 are not possible.

we can know that though we solve making a eigenvalue eqeution of momenta, that is not satisfied with B.C.s

How do I understand this?

I will appologize in advance for possibly not knowing what you are asking. Let me try this, though:

For a 1-D single particle, consider H = f(X,P). That is to say, the Hamiltonian is formed by combining the position and momentum operators in some way.

For a free particle, H = g(P). That is to say, the Hamiltonian does not depend on X, only on P. Now, P commutes with itself, so P commutes with g(P), and, therefore, [P,H] = [P,g(P)] = 0 for a free particle.

For a particle in a well, you have H = g(P) + V(X). That is to say, the Hamiltonian depends on both X and P. Now, P does not commute with X, so P does not commute with V(X), and, therefore, [P,H] = [P,(g(P) + V(X))] = [P,g(P)] + [P,V(X)] = 0 + [P,V(X)] /= 0.

Something I just noticed after rereading your post:
I think you may be biasing yourself to the x-basis. Don't think of this in terms of a basis, think of it in terms of the entire space. If you just limit yourself to the range of x-values inside the well, that is like limiting yourself to consider only certain components of a vector when you consider the eigenvalue problem. This is a bad thing to do because, when you consider the same eigenvalue problem in a generally different basis, those particular components no longer have any meaning.

Last edited:
eigenpost53 said:
Is the Hamiltonian commutable with momentum operator in the 1- dimensional finite well?
No.

eigenpost53 said:
can you see [p^2/2m +v , P]=0 is to formed, for V=constant?
V is not a constant. It is a pair of "step" functions. V changes at the boundaries of the well.

Since P is like -id/dx,

[P,V] = a pair of Dirac delta-functions ,

which is certainly not zero.

eigenpost53 said:
why eigenstate of momenta are not exsist when it is 1-dimentional infinite well?
In this unphysical (because, V = infinity in some regions of space) "simplification" (which in some cases can be a good approximation), the "price" that we must "pay" is that the eigenfunctions of P just don't "fit into the picture".

This makes perfect "physical" sense. Since an eigenfunction of P is just a free particle moving to the left or moving to the right, those eigenfunctions will not "fit into a picture" which forbids the wavefunctions from being anything but zero outside of the interval (a,b).

Last edited:

1. What does it mean for a Hamiltonian to be commutable with a momentum operator?

When a Hamiltonian is commutable with a momentum operator, it means that the two operators can be interchanged without changing the outcome of a measurement. In other words, the momentum operator and Hamiltonian operator share a set of eigenstates.

2. What is a Hamiltonian operator?

A Hamiltonian operator is a mathematical operator used in quantum mechanics to describe the total energy of a system. It takes into account both the kinetic and potential energy of a system.

3. Why is it important for the Hamiltonian to commute with the momentum operator?

When the Hamiltonian commutes with the momentum operator, it means that both operators share a set of common eigenstates. This allows for easier calculations and simplifies the quantum mechanical description of a system.

4. Can a Hamiltonian operator commute with other operators besides the momentum operator?

Yes, a Hamiltonian operator can commute with other operators besides the momentum operator. This includes operators such as the angular momentum operator and the position operator.

5. How does the commutation relationship between the Hamiltonian and momentum operator affect the dynamics of a quantum system?

The commutation relationship between the Hamiltonian and momentum operator does not directly affect the dynamics of a quantum system. However, it does provide a useful tool in solving the Schrödinger equation and determining the energy levels of a system.