Non nuclear part of a nuclear power plant

In summary: A nuclear reactor is a device that uses nuclear fission to produce heat and power. Hi there,Thank you for your answer. I understand.However, I am not familiar with the terminology you are using. Could you please explain it to me more in detail?
fatra2
Hi there,

I have a simple question about nuclear power plant. There are two parts to it, which are the nuclear island (where the magic happens) and the non-nuclear part where the heat is transformed to electricity.

Having to many languages in my head at the moment, could someone help me with the english term for this non-nuclear part, where the turbine is located. I have in mind the "conventional part" or the "power generation plant". Which one is used normally in English

Engineering news on Phys.org
The core would refer to the portion of the system comprised of nuclear fuel where the fission takes place. The rest is 'balance of plant'.

Here is a good reference based on a CANDU plant.

http://canteach.candu.org/library/20054407.pdf

LWRs are either Pressurized Water Reactors or Boiling Water Reactors. The PWRs have a primary and secondary circuit separated by Steam Generators. The BWRs have one ciruit, whereby steam produced in the core is dried and sent directly to the HP turbine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi there,

Thank you for your answer. These informations I have.

I guess a little more explanation would be helpful. First of all, except in a few countries, CANDU are not manufactured anymore. They are way to expensive for their efficiency. So I am talking about LWR (BWR or PWR). The nuclear fuel is within the core of the reactor. The reactor is placed inside a primary containment. The primary containment is surrounded by a secondary containment, anyway it should. All of this is called the Nuclear Island (NI). For safety reasons, the NI should be penetrated as little as possible.

One of the main penetration of the NI is the trubine piping. This is where it differs for BWR or PWR: in a BWR the steam is produced directly in the reactor vessel, therefore inside the NI, which for PWR a secondary system (the steam generator) will remove the heat of the primary circuit. No matter which technology is used, their are other buildings than the NI in a power plant, like the turbine island for a PWR where the steam pushes the wings of the turbine to produce electricity.

My question was how do you call this building where the electricity is produced. Since I am working between French, English, and German, I tend to make translation from one another that can give exotic results. Therefore, what is this turbine island called in English. From what I remember, it should be something like the "Power Generation Plant (PGP)". Could you confirm that.

Cheers

The core is located in a pressure vessel, which we call the Reactor Pressure Vessel (RPV).

The reactor and it's immediate equipment are in the Containment Building and the turbines are located in the Turbine Hall. The steam generation part is known as Nuclear Steam Supply System (NSSS).

Terms seem to vary among English, German and French.

I'll see if I can find a particular diagram of a power plant and find the formal terms.

Auxiliary building
Building at a nuclear power plant, frequently located adjacent to the reactor containment structure, that houses most of the reactor auxiliary and safety systems, such as radioactive waste systems, chemical and volume control systems, and emergency cooling water systems.

This might help - http://www.nrc.gov/reading-rm/basic-ref/glossary.html

Hi there,

Thank you very much for the effort. I was to lazy to look up the formal terms myself. I also take a look around. But you might be right with the Auxiliary building, and the turbine hall.

And the problem comes when German speak to French in English. Then it gets really confusing. There are directl translation from one language to English, and taken by the person from the other language. At the end of the day, I don't know which one is which anymore.

Cheers

All I can tell you is based on my experience in the US, working in PWRs. The turbine, condensers, condensate pumps, feedwater pumps, and feedwater heaters etc. are all collectively called "the secondary side" or "steam side" or "balance of plant." This last is frequently abbreviated to "BOP." In this name, the word "balance" is taken in the sense of "remainder" - the "balance" of the plant is the portions not included within the "NSSS" nuclear steam supply system. I think this division stems from the original contracts and construction, where the reactor vendor was responsible for the NSSS and the architect-engineer was responsible for everything else (the "balance of plant"). As astronuc says above, the BOP systems are within the structure of the "turbine hall" or "turbine building." Does that help?

gmax137 said:
As astronuc says above, the BOP systems are within the structure of the "turbine hall" or "turbine building."
gmax,

With the one exception of the San Onofre Nuclear Generating Station [ SONGS ] in southern
California. There is no "turbine building" - the turbine / generator are out in the open.

http://www.californiacoastline.org/...e=200603563&mode=sequential&flags=0&year=2006

http://www.californiacoastline.org/...ode=big&lastmode=sequential&flags=0&year=2006

http://www.sce.com/PowerandEnvironment/PowerGeneration/SanOnofreNuclearGeneratingStation/default.htm?goto=songs

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Onofre_Nuclear_Generating_Station

The reactors, of course; have containment buildings.

Dr. Gregory Greenman
Physicist

Greg -

Your post is confusing - the SONGS turbines are indeed exposed. I haven't been inside that plant since the mid 1980's, and I just don't remember what they call it there.

I thought the OP was asking for the terminology - the name. So, I was just relaying what the people working in the plant call it, and at several sites they call it "the turbine building." Whether it is "really" a "building" or not is a matter of opinion - it has no walls and no roof; OTOH, it has a substantial foundation, a massive steel frame, and concrete floors. Also, while some (southern?) plants have no enclosure (Turkey Point, SONGS, others), many other plants do typically have a 'building' to protect the turbine and its associated systems from the weather. The ones I have been in are more like giant sheds (corrugated metal & fiberglass walls and roofs).

gmax137 said:
I thought the OP was asking for the terminology - the name. So, I was just relaying what the people working in the plant call it, and at several sites they call it "the turbine building." Whether it is "really" a "building" or not is a matter of opinion - it has no walls and no roof; OTOH, it has a substantial foundation, a massive steel frame, and concrete floors.
gmax,

As I recall, the structure upon which the turbine is perched is usually called a "pedestal".

They may call it a "turbine building" for consistency.

Dr. Gregory Greenman
Physicist

Even though the turbine/generator and MSRs are outside it is still referred to as the turbine building. After all it is still a structure. Some areas do have roofs and walls. The building is roughly 70' high with 5 to 7 different levels.

The pedestal referred to earlier is the steel frame the turbine rotates on - similar to an engine block/crankshaft analogy. It contains all the oil ports for the bearings, bearing housing, etc.

The turbine/generator are on the "turbine deck" which is housed in the "turbine building". Those are the only names I've heard around here.

1. What is the purpose of the non nuclear part of a nuclear power plant?

The non nuclear part of a nuclear power plant serves several important functions, including cooling the reactor, converting heat energy into electricity, and managing radioactive waste produced by the reactor.

2. What components make up the non nuclear part of a nuclear power plant?

The non nuclear part of a nuclear power plant typically includes a cooling system, turbines, generators, and a waste management system. In some cases, it may also include a secondary containment structure to prevent leaks or accidents.

3. How does the cooling system work in a nuclear power plant?

The cooling system in a nuclear power plant works by circulating water through the reactor to absorb heat generated by the nuclear fission process. The heated water is then pumped through a series of heat exchangers to transfer the heat to a separate water loop, which then drives the turbines to produce electricity.

4. How is radioactive waste managed in a nuclear power plant?

The non nuclear part of a nuclear power plant includes a waste management system, which is responsible for safely storing and disposing of radioactive waste produced by the reactor. This can include solid waste, such as spent fuel rods, as well as liquid waste, which is often treated and released into the environment once it is deemed safe.

5. What safety measures are in place for the non nuclear part of a nuclear power plant?

The non nuclear part of a nuclear power plant is subject to strict safety regulations to prevent accidents and minimize the potential for radiation exposure. This can include regular inspections, redundant safety systems, and emergency protocols in case of a malfunction or disaster. Additionally, the waste management system is designed to prevent any leaks or contamination of the surrounding environment.