What is the success rate for becoming a physics professor?

In summary: Other fields, such as condensed matter or atomic physics, may have different statistics. In summary, while there is no specific data on the percentage of physics PhDs who want to become professors, it is estimated that only about 1 in 4 theory PhDs from top universities will obtain permanent faculty positions. This process can take an additional 5-10 years after receiving the PhD and there is no guarantee of success. However, salaries for professors can be significantly higher than those of instructors with a PhD and may vary by field.
njhajj
To be more specific, are there any statistics on the percentage of physics PHDs who want to become professors, and the percentage that actually do become professors?

Physics news on Phys.org
njhajj said:
To be more specific, are there any statistics on the percentage of physics PHDs who want to become professors,

I don't believe so.

njhajj said:
and the percentage that actually do become professors?

That exists, but it will take some legwork. You need to find how many faculty positions there are, divide by the number of years they work, and compare to the number of graduating PhD's.

By monitoring the physics job advertisements on the APS web site, in Physics Today, or in the Chronicle of Higher Education, you can find out how many faculty positions are advertised during a year in the US. I don't know if anyone has summarized this data somewhere.

Last edited:
njhajj said:
To be more specific, are there any statistics on the percentage of physics PHDs who want to become professors, and the percentage that actually do become professors?

Are you asking this because you feel that you won't make it? If you feel this then there is good reason. You will need more then just a PHD to be considered a university professor. I remember looking into this before and it takes an extra 5 to 10 years after you receive your PHD to actually become a professor at a university. I don't remember exactly the process you go through but you are required to have a tenure and be voted in by the staff members. It's a pretty long process and it must be something you really enjoy doing. If not, you could always just work in the private sector.

There is some data here:

http://pubs.acs.org/cen/topstory/7947/7947sci2.html

and I'm sure all the professional societies keep records as well. Crudely, it looks like about 10:1. Of course, this begs the question "what fraction of PhDs have a goal to become faculty?"

I never realized this before but I did some research a while back and found out that instructors with a PHD at a university only receive 40k a year. You have to have the title "Professor" to get paid the big bucks. Average salary is around 90k and up.

http://infoproc.blogspot.com/2008/09/survivor-theoretical-physics.html

A top 50 department (in the world) produces 3-5 PhDs a year in theoretical physics. If most of them only place a student every 5 years or so, that means the majority of their students end up doing something else!

One day in the theory lounge at LBNL Mahiko Suzuki (PhD, University of Tokyo) told me and some other shocked grad students and postdocs that about 1 in 4 theory PhDs from Berkeley would get permanent positions. His estimate was remarkably accurate.

I remember Peter Woit at his blog did some of these calculations with regularity years ago. It was always astonishing.

Though I'd like to note this undoubtedly varies at least a little by field.

mal4mac said:
http://infoproc.blogspot.com/2008/09/survivor-theoretical-physics.html

A top 50 department (in the world) produces 3-5 PhDs a year in theoretical physics. If most of them only place a student every 5 years or so, that means the majority of their students end up doing something else!

One day in the theory lounge at LBNL Mahiko Suzuki (PhD, University of Tokyo) told me and some other shocked grad students and postdocs that about 1 in 4 theory PhDs from Berkeley would get permanent positions. His estimate was remarkably accurate.

It should be noted that this is only for high energy theoretical physics.

1. What is the average success rate for becoming a physics professor?

The success rate for becoming a physics professor varies depending on factors such as the quality of the university, the competition for available positions, and the qualifications of the candidate. However, according to the American Institute of Physics, the overall success rate for obtaining a tenure-track faculty position in physics is around 10-15%.

2. What qualifications are necessary to become a physics professor?

To become a physics professor, one typically needs to have a doctoral degree in physics or a related field, such as astronomy or engineering. Additionally, most universities require candidates to have a strong research background and teaching experience, as well as excellent communication and leadership skills.

3. Is it necessary to have a PhD to become a physics professor?

While a PhD is not always required to become a physics professor, it is highly recommended and preferred by most universities. A PhD demonstrates a deep understanding and expertise in a specific area of physics, which is essential for teaching and conducting research at the university level.

4. How long does it typically take to become a physics professor?

The time it takes to become a physics professor varies depending on individual circumstances and the chosen career path. On average, it can take 8-10 years to obtain a PhD in physics, followed by 2-3 years of postdoctoral research experience before being considered for a tenure-track faculty position. Therefore, it can take approximately 10-13 years after completing a bachelor's degree to become a physics professor.

5. What are some tips for increasing the chances of becoming a physics professor?

Some tips for increasing the chances of becoming a physics professor include obtaining a PhD from a reputable university, gaining research experience through internships and postdoctoral positions, networking with other physicists and professors, and honing teaching and communication skills. Additionally, publishing research articles and attending conferences can also help to make a candidate more competitive for faculty positions.