Calculate the magnitude, direction and sense of the resultant force

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with calculating the resultant force of a noncurrent force system shown in a shape and determining where it intersects the bottom of the shape with respect to Point A. The person asking for help does not have a scanner to share the problem, but is advised to use a drawing program to create and share a PDF version of the problem.
Dellis
Hi, I got this problem that I have no idea how to begin, can yo help me please.

Calculate the magnitude, direction and sense of the resultant force of the noncurrent force system shown, determine where the resultant intersects the bottom of the shape with respect to Point ADamn I wish I could show you the problem, but I don't have a scanner.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Dellis said:
Hi, I got this problem that I have no idea how to begin, can yo help me please.

Calculate the magnitude, direction and sense of the resultant force of the noncurrent force system shown, determine where the resultant intersects the bottom of the shape with respect to Point A

Damn I wish I could show you the problem, but I don't have a scanner.

Well, you're going to have to give us a lot more than that in order to understand what the problem is. Also, per the PF rules (see the link at the top of the page), we cannot do your work for you. We can only offer tutorial hints to help you figure out how to do the problem.

Since you don't have a scanner, consider drawing it in Visio or some other drawing program. Save it as a PDF and attach it. You can use PrimoPDF (free download) if you don't already have a PDF writer.

No problem, I can still help you without seeing the problem. To calculate the magnitude, direction, and sense of the resultant force, we need to first understand the concept of vectors. A vector is a quantity that has both magnitude (size) and direction. In this case, we are dealing with a noncurrent force system, which means that the forces are not acting in the same direction.

To find the resultant force, we need to use vector addition. This means that we need to add all the forces together, taking into account their magnitude and direction. The resultant force will be the sum of all the forces acting on the object.

To determine the direction and sense of the resultant force, we need to use the concept of vector components. This means that we need to break down each force into its horizontal and vertical components. The horizontal component of a force is the part of the force acting in the horizontal direction, and the vertical component is the part of the force acting in the vertical direction.

Once we have the horizontal and vertical components of each force, we can add them together to get the horizontal and vertical components of the resultant force. The magnitude of the resultant force can be found by using the Pythagorean theorem (a^2 + b^2 = c^2), where a and b are the horizontal and vertical components and c is the magnitude of the resultant force.

To determine where the resultant intersects the bottom of the shape with respect to Point A, we need to use the concept of moments. A moment is a measure of the tendency of a force to rotate an object about a specific point. In this case, we need to find the moment of each force with respect to Point A. Then, we can add all the moments together to get the resultant moment. The resultant moment will tell us where the resultant force intersects the bottom of the shape with respect to Point A.

I hope this helps you get started on solving your problem. Remember, it is important to understand the concepts of vectors, vector addition, vector components, and moments to accurately calculate the resultant force. Good luck!

1. What is the formula for calculating the magnitude of the resultant force?

The magnitude of the resultant force can be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem, which states that the square of the hypotenuse (resultant force) is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides (individual forces).

2. How do you determine the direction of the resultant force?

The direction of the resultant force can be determined by using trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent. These functions can be used to find the angle between the resultant force and one of the individual forces.

3. What does the sense of the resultant force refer to?

The sense of the resultant force refers to the direction in which the resultant force is acting. It can be either in the same direction as one of the individual forces (concurrent forces) or in a direction that is different from both individual forces (non-concurrent forces).

4. Can the magnitude of the resultant force be greater than the sum of the individual forces?

Yes, the magnitude of the resultant force can be greater than the sum of the individual forces if they are acting in different directions. This is known as a vector addition and is an important concept in physics.

5. How can I use the calculated resultant force to analyze a physical system?

The calculated resultant force can be used to determine the overall motion of an object or system, as it represents the combined effect of all the individual forces acting on it. It can also be used to determine the equilibrium of a system, as a zero resultant force indicates a balanced system.