Voltage vs Time Graph: Understanding & Deriving Relationships

In summary, a voltage vs. time graph can be used to calculate the charge of a battery over a certain time period, given the voltage and resistor values. However, this calculation may not be useful in certain situations and more information is needed to fully understand the relationship between voltage, time, and charge.
megr_ftw
What are you able to derive or integrate from a voltage vs. time graph? Like if I have a battery and a resistor and want to know the charge after so many hours or seconds.
We went over this in class but could someone elaborate the relationship?

Physics news on Phys.org
A battery across a resistor, voltage is constant, graph of voltage versus time is a horizontal straight line. Are you sure that your real question isn't about a capacitor?

I had a problem the teacher gave us and it was a graph of time(x-axis) vs. voltage(y-axis) and it had the line as a negative slope where the voltage of the battery was 1.5V and it crossed the y-axis at 3 hours. they gave us a resistor of x ohms.
So there is no capacitor in the problem and how should I treat it?

*note this is not a homework question, just a general one

You're question is a bit confusing... I'll try to help...
I'll assume:
-You're saying the battery's voltage is reducing linearly from 1.5V to 0V over a three hour duration.
-You're circuit is a battery with a resistor across it.
-You said something about charge, so I'll assume current.

Current, I=V/R

If you integrate that function, you get 0.5*(1.5V)/R*time. For example, let's assume that R=10 Ohms:
Then you could calculate: 0.5*1.5/10*3hr = 225mAh (milli amp hours).

But this is actually a useless calculation. Can you elaborate on your question?

elliotr said:
You're saying the battery's voltage is reducing linearly from 1.5V to 0V over a three hour duration.

I think the person needs:
decreasing 1.5 volts in 10800 seconds, for a slope of -0.0001389 volts per second
V = (-0.0001389 V/s) t + 1.5 V

1. What is a voltage vs time graph?

A voltage vs time graph is a visual representation of the relationship between voltage and time for a given system. It shows how the voltage changes over time and can provide valuable information about the behavior and characteristics of the system.

2. How do you interpret a voltage vs time graph?

To interpret a voltage vs time graph, you need to understand the axes and the units being used. The horizontal axis represents time, usually in seconds, and the vertical axis represents voltage, usually in volts. The shape and slope of the graph can indicate the rate of change of voltage over time, as well as any patterns or trends in the data.

3. How is the relationship between voltage and time derived from a voltage vs time graph?

The relationship between voltage and time is derived from the slope of the graph. The slope represents the change in voltage divided by the change in time, known as the rate of change. The steeper the slope, the greater the rate of change, indicating a larger change in voltage over a shorter period of time.

4. What can a voltage vs time graph tell us about a system?

A voltage vs time graph can provide information about the behavior and characteristics of a system. It can show how the voltage changes over time, the rate of change of voltage, and any patterns or trends in the data. This information can be used to analyze and understand the functioning of the system and make any necessary adjustments or improvements.

5. How is a voltage vs time graph used in scientific research?

A voltage vs time graph is commonly used in scientific research to study the behavior of electrical systems. It can be used to monitor and analyze data from experiments, to identify any irregularities or patterns in a system, and to make predictions and draw conclusions about the system's performance. It is also a useful tool for troubleshooting and improving the design of electrical systems.