Creating a "Black" Smoke Trail with Model Jets

In summary, to create a "black" smoke trail, one would need to either partially combust a substance containing an aromatic group or disperse a black pigment such as carbon black or a metal sulfide. Alternatively, a rich mixture of diesel may also produce a black smoke.
BosonJaw
I fly model jets that utilize miniature gas turbine engines. If one wishes to introduce a smoke system, A smoke oil tank is installed on board, The smoke oil fluid is then pumped from the tank to a spray nozzle located at the exhaust outlet of the turbine (thrust nozzle). The smoke oil is then introduced to a 1200+ Degree stream of exhaust gas from the turbine and reacts to form a very dense white smoke trail.

I am interested in making a "black" smoke trail. What could be used to yield this result?

Thanks!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Hmmmm. The white smoke is just small droplets of the oil dispersed by the high temperature of the exhaust. Black smoke would either require the partial combustion of something (preferably something containing an aromatic group) or the dispersal of a black pigment such as carbon black or a metal sulfide. A rich mixture of something like diesel could produce a black smoke as well.

I can provide some insights into creating a "black" smoke trail with model jets. The key to achieving a "black" smoke trail is to introduce a substance that will react with the exhaust gas and produce a dark color.

One option could be to use a smoke oil that contains a high concentration of carbon-based compounds. These compounds, when heated by the exhaust gas, can produce a dark smoke. However, it is important to note that using a high concentration of carbon-based compounds can also lead to a thicker and more opaque smoke, which may affect the performance of the model jet.

Another option could be to use a colored dye in the smoke oil. By choosing a black or dark-colored dye, the resulting smoke will also appear dark. However, it is important to carefully select a dye that is safe to use with model jets and will not clog the spray nozzle or damage the engine.

It is also worth considering the temperature and pressure of the exhaust gas, as these factors can affect the reaction and the resulting color of the smoke. Experimentation with different substances and ratios may be necessary to achieve the desired "black" smoke trail.

In conclusion, creating a "black" smoke trail with model jets requires careful consideration of the substances used and their reaction with the exhaust gas. It is important to ensure the safety and performance of the model jet while achieving the desired visual effect.

1. How do I create a "black" smoke trail with model jets?

To create a "black" smoke trail with model jets, you will need to use special smoke oil or powder designed specifically for model jets. This oil or powder is typically mixed with the fuel used by the jet engine, creating a darker and thicker smoke trail. You may also need to adjust the fuel-to-air ratio of the engine to achieve the desired color and thickness of the smoke trail.

2. Can I use regular smoke oil or powder to create a "black" smoke trail?

No, regular smoke oil or powder will not typically produce a "black" smoke trail with model jets. These products are designed for smaller models and produce lighter and thinner smoke trails. Using regular smoke oil or powder in a model jet may also damage the engine.

3. Are there any safety precautions I should take when creating a "black" smoke trail?

Yes, it is important to always follow the manufacturer's instructions and safety guidelines when using any type of smoke oil or powder. Some products may be flammable and should be used with caution. It is also recommended to wear protective gear, such as gloves and goggles, when handling and using these products.

4. How long will the "black" smoke trail last?

The duration of the smoke trail will depend on the amount of smoke oil or powder used and the fuel-to-air ratio of the engine. Generally, a "black" smoke trail will last for several minutes before dissipating.

5. Can I adjust the color and thickness of the smoke trail?

Yes, by adjusting the amount of smoke oil or powder and the fuel-to-air ratio of the engine, you can achieve different shades and thicknesses of smoke. Experiment with different ratios to find the desired effect for your model jet.