Use the Impulse-Momentum Theorem

• Thread starter Raimuna
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theorem
In summary, to find the time it takes for a stone to increase its speed from 4.8 m/s to 10.7 m/s using the impulse-momentum theorem, you need to calculate the acceleration using the equation f=ma and then use the equation f*t=m(Vf-Vi) to solve for time. The force in this scenario would be gravity, or mg.
Raimuna

Homework Statement

Use the impulse-momentum theorem to find how long a stone falling straight down takes to increase its speed from 4.8 m/s to 10.7 m/s.

I really don't get the question. How could we find the time in second if we only know the initial and final velocity.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Raimuna said:
I really don't get the question. How could we find the time in second if we only know the initial and final velocity.
I am going to consider this an attempt at a solution, and offer a hint: You also know the acceleration.

Also, the impulse-momentum theorem is definitely a relevant equation here.

How do we find the acceleration if we don't know the time interval?

Force*time=m(Vf-Vi) solve for time. Force is obviously gravity=mg

1. What is the Impulse-Momentum Theorem?

The Impulse-Momentum Theorem is a principle in physics that relates the change in momentum of an object to the impulse applied to it. It states that the impulse acting on an object is equal to the change in its momentum.

2. How is the Impulse-Momentum Theorem used in real life?

The Impulse-Momentum Theorem is used in many real-life situations, such as in sports, car crashes, and rocket launches. For example, in sports like baseball, the player applies a force (impulse) to the ball, causing it to change its momentum and travel a certain distance.

3. What is the formula for the Impulse-Momentum Theorem?

The formula for the Impulse-Momentum Theorem is I = FΔt = Δp, where I is the impulse, F is the force applied, Δt is the time interval in which the force is applied, and Δp is the change in momentum.

4. How is the Impulse-Momentum Theorem related to Newton's Third Law?

The Impulse-Momentum Theorem is related to Newton's Third Law, which states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. In the case of the Impulse-Momentum Theorem, the impulse (action) applied to an object causes a change in its momentum, and the object exerts an equal and opposite force (reaction) on the object applying the impulse.

5. Can the Impulse-Momentum Theorem be used for systems of multiple objects?

Yes, the Impulse-Momentum Theorem can be used for systems of multiple objects. In this case, the change in momentum of each object is calculated separately, and then the total change in momentum is found by adding up the individual changes in momentum.