Invert Series to Find an - MathWorld

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of inverting a series Sum(0,infinite)anX^n=f(x) to obtain the an terms. It is suggested that setting x=1/Z can lead to the "Zeta transform" of an, which may be related to Mobeius inversion. However, it is unclear if this method will be effective without more information about the a_n terms. The an terms can also be obtained using the Taylor series formula \frac{1}{n!}\frac{d^nf}{dx^n}(0).
eljose79
Let be a series Sum(0,infinite)anX^n=f(x) then could it be inverted to get the an?..in fact if we set x=1/Z the series becomes

anZ^-n=Zeta transform of an so we could invert this (as seen in mathworld.com),could it be done to get the an?..thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
"Zeta transform" isn't a term I've seen often, but I think it usually refers to the inverse of Mobeius inversion. Is this what you mean? If so, I don't see how it will help unless you know more information about the [tex]a_n[/tex] terms then you've indicated.

The an are, of course, given by the Taylor series formula:
[tex]\frac{1}{n!}\frac{d^nf}{dx^n}(0) [/tex]

1. What is "Invert Series to Find an - MathWorld"?

"Invert Series to Find an - MathWorld" is a mathematical concept that involves finding the inverse of a power series. This technique is often used in calculus and complex analysis to solve equations and find solutions to problems.

2. How do you invert a series?

To invert a series, you first need to find its inverse function. This can be done by using the power series expansion of the function and manipulating it to isolate the variable of interest. Then, you can use the resulting inverse function to find the solution to the original problem.

3. What are some applications of inverting series?

Inverted series are commonly used in mathematical modeling and engineering to solve complex equations and systems. They are also used in physics and chemistry to find solutions to equations that cannot be solved using traditional methods.

4. Are there any limitations to inverting series?

Inverting series can be a complex and time-consuming process, especially for higher order series. It also requires a thorough understanding of power series and their properties. Additionally, not all functions have an inverse that can be expressed as a power series.

5. How can I learn more about inverting series?

There are many resources available online and in textbooks that explain the concept of inverting series in more detail. You can also consult with a mathematician or take a course in calculus or complex analysis to learn more about this topic.