Does a charged particle in free fall radiate?

In summary, the topic of discussion is about accelerated charges and their tendency to radiate energy. The conversation also includes the concept of relativity theory and the equivalence principle, which states that gravity is locally equivalent to an accelerating frame. There is a question about whether stationary charges in a gravitational field would also radiate, and a link is shared for further discussion on the topic.
pellman
"Accelerated charges radiate."

That much-repeated phrase is the extent of my familiarity with radiating charges, though I am trying to bring myself up to speed on the Abraham-Lorentz-Dirac force.

Well, in relativity theory gravity is locally equivalent to an accelerating frame. so if we are in the falling elevator, do our charges falling with us in the elevator radiate? by the equivalence principle they should not, correct?

But in that case, stationary charges in a gravitational field are equivalent to accelerating charges in flat spacetime. So do stationary charges radiate under the influence of gravity?

Physics news on Phys.org
pellman said:
"Accelerated charges radiate."

That much-repeated phrase is the extent of my familiarity with radiating charges, though I am trying to bring myself up to speed on the Abraham-Lorentz-Dirac force.

Well, in relativity theory gravity is locally equivalent to an accelerating frame. so if we are in the falling elevator, do our charges falling with us in the elevator radiate? by the equivalence principle they should not, correct?

But in that case, stationary charges in a gravitational field are equivalent to accelerating charges in flat spacetime. So do stationary charges radiate under the influence of gravity?

The following link my be interesting:

www.maxwellsociety.net/Charge and the Equivalence Principle.html

1. What is a charged particle in free fall?

A charged particle in free fall is a particle that is experiencing the force of gravity and is not under the influence of any other external forces. In other words, it is falling freely without any resistance or acceleration due to electric or magnetic fields.

2. Why would a charged particle in free fall radiate?

A charged particle in free fall would radiate because it is accelerating due to the force of gravity. According to Maxwell's equations, any accelerating charged particle will radiate electromagnetic waves.

3. How does the acceleration of a charged particle in free fall affect the radiation it emits?

The acceleration of a charged particle in free fall directly affects the frequency and intensity of the radiation it emits. The higher the acceleration, the higher the frequency and intensity of the radiation.

4. Does the mass of the charged particle in free fall affect its radiation?

Yes, the mass of the charged particle in free fall does affect its radiation. According to the theory of relativity, the mass and energy of a particle are equivalent. Therefore, a more massive charged particle would produce more radiation compared to a less massive particle with the same acceleration.

5. Is the radiation emitted by a charged particle in free fall harmful to humans?

The amount of radiation emitted by a charged particle in free fall is very small and is not harmful to humans. It is only when a charged particle is moving at very high speeds, such as in a particle accelerator, that the radiation emitted can be dangerous.