Derive Acoustic Pressure Relation from Ideal Gass Law

In summary, the equation p(r) = \frac{A}{r}e^{j(\omega t - kr)} can be derived from pV = nRT by considering the ideal gas law and the motion of particles in a sound wave. The pressure on a spherical surface can be found by ignoring the infinitesimal radial projection and using the density \rho = \frac{n}{V}. Additionally, the equations for average velocity and force can be used to derive the final equation.
dimensionless

Homework Statement

Derive [tex]p(r) = \frac{A}{r}e^{j(\omega t - kr)}[/tex] from [tex]pV = nRT[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

From ideal gas law I have

[tex]p(r) = \frac{nRT}{V}[/tex]

R and T are constant, so I can pull them out now and replace them with A. If V is the volume of a spherical shell of thickness dr, I get

[tex]p(r) = \frac{n A}{4 \pi r^{2} dr}[/tex]

This means that the only thing that changes is the net flow of mass flowing into and out of my spherical shell. Which lead to

[tex]p(r) = \frac{A cos(\omega t - k r)}{4 \pi r^{2} dr}[/tex]

Putting this in exponential form I get

[tex]p(r) = \frac{A}{4 \pi r^{2} dr} e^{j(\omega t - k r)}[/tex]

Because the atoms are only moving radially, I can ignore the dr part. This leads to

[tex]p(r) = \frac{A}{4 \pi r^{2}} e^{j(\omega t - k r)}[/tex]

...I'm still stuck with an [tex]r^{2}[/tex] in the denominator instead of just [tex]r[/tex]. I think I did something wrong somewhere. I'm not sure where. Any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
dimensionless said:
Which lead to

[tex]p(r) = \frac{A cos(\omega t - k r)}{4 \pi r^{2} dr}[/tex]

Putting this in exponential form I get

[tex]p(r) = \frac{A}{4 \pi r^{2} dr} e^{j(\omega t - k r)}[/tex]

Not sure I see how this is done. The Euler relations are

[tex]
\cos[x]=\frac{1}{2}\left(\exp[ix]+\exp[-ix]\right)
[/tex]

dimensionless said:
Because the atoms are only moving radially, I can ignore the dr part. This leads to

[tex]p(r) = \frac{A}{4 \pi r^{2}} e^{j(\omega t - k r)}[/tex]

...I'm still stuck with an [tex]r^{2}[/tex] in the denominator instead of just [tex]r[/tex]. I think I did something wrong somewhere. I'm not sure where. Any help is appreciated.

Can you clarify why you ignore [itex]dr[/itex]?

I know that the Euler relation is

[tex]

[/tex]

but quite I'm sure I've seen the expression

[tex]
\exp[ix] = \cos[x] + i \sin[x]
[/tex]

used in many places but ignoring the imaginary part so that it just becomes

[tex]
\exp[ix] = \cos[x]
[/tex]

Actually, it really bothers me, but I've seen it in so many places.

I'm ignoring dr, in part because I'm seeking a particular result. As for rational, the particles are moving only as part of a sound wave, so they move parallel to dr. The pressure is force per unit area, and the area is perpendicular to dr...in other words, I need the pressure on a spherical surface rather than in a volume ( p(r) is net air pressure above the equilibrium).

dimensionless said:
I know that the Euler relation is

[tex]

[/tex]

but quite I'm sure I've seen the expression

[tex]
\exp[ix] = \cos[x] + i \sin[x]
[/tex]

used in many places but ignoring the imaginary part so that it just becomes

[tex]
\exp[ix] = \cos[x]
[/tex]

Actually, it really bothers me, but I've seen it in so many places.

This is true, and I didn't quite think of this part, mostly because the relation actually is

[tex]
\Re\left[\exp[ix]\right]=\cos[x] [/tex]

That is, the real component of the exponential is the cosine term, while the imaginary, [itex]\Im[/itex], is sine.

I'm ignoring dr, in part because I'm seeking a particular result. As for rational, the particles are moving only as part of a sound wave, so they move parallel to dr. The pressure is force per unit area, and the area is perpendicular to dr...in other words, I need the pressure on a spherical surface rather than in a volume ( p(r) is net air pressure above the equilibrium).

The pressure does apply itself parallel to the radial component, not perpendicular--draw yourself a picture of a spherical wave, you'll see ;)

I think, rather than using volume, you should consider the density:

[tex]
P=\frac{nkT}{V}=\frac{nkT}{m}\rho
[/tex]

Then consider how the density [itex]\rho[/itex] would change with a wave. It is possible that you will actually want to integrate, rather than just ignore the infinitesimal radial projection.

I think it might be simpler if I defined density [tex]n/V[/tex], so that

[tex] P=\frac{n}{V} kT= \rho kT [/tex]

which leads to

[tex]\rho = \frac{n}{4 \pi r^{2} dr}[/tex]

Since the number of mols varies with time, I get

[tex]\rho \cos(\omega t)= \frac{n \cos(\omega t)}{4 \pi r^{2} dr}[/tex]

Conversely, I could hold the volume constant and let the number of mols (or the mass) per unit volume vary so that I get

[tex]\rho = \frac{n}{r^{2} V}[/tex]

At the moment though, I'm still stuck.

Last edited:
I also have

[tex]\frac{1}{2}m v_{average}^{2} = \frac{3}{2}kT = \frac{3}{2}\frac{R}{n}T[/tex]

this leads to

[tex]v = \sqrt{3 \frac{RT}{nm} }[/tex]

and

[tex]T = \frac{n v^{2}}{3mR}[/tex]

where m is the mass of a particle and v is the velocity. I also have

[tex]F = \frac{dp}{dt}[/tex]

Where p=mv is the momentum. I still can't derive this equation though.

1. What is the Ideal Gas Law?

The Ideal Gas Law is a scientific equation that describes the relationship between the pressure, volume, temperature, and number of moles of a gas in a closed system. It is typically written as PV = nRT, where P is pressure, V is volume, n is the number of moles, R is the gas constant, and T is temperature.

2. How is the Ideal Gas Law related to Acoustic Pressure?

The Ideal Gas Law can be used to derive the acoustic pressure relation by considering a gas in a closed container that is being compressed and expanding due to sound waves. The change in pressure and volume can be related to the speed of sound and the frequency of the sound waves.

3. Can the Ideal Gas Law be used for all gases?

The Ideal Gas Law is a good approximation for most gases at low pressures and high temperatures. However, it may not accurately describe the behavior of gases at high pressures or low temperatures. In these situations, other equations, such as the van der Waals equation, may be more appropriate.

4. What is the significance of deriving the acoustic pressure relation from the Ideal Gas Law?

Deriving the acoustic pressure relation from the Ideal Gas Law allows scientists to better understand and predict the behavior of sound waves in different gases. It also helps in the design and development of technologies that utilize sound, such as musical instruments, speakers, and ultrasound devices.

5. How is the acoustic pressure related to the speed of sound?

The acoustic pressure is directly proportional to the speed of sound. This means that as the speed of sound increases, the acoustic pressure also increases. This relationship can be seen in the acoustic pressure relation derived from the Ideal Gas Law, where the speed of sound is inversely proportional to the square root of the gas constant and directly proportional to the square root of the temperature.