Aerodynamics - advice on topic for personal researche

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of aerodynamics and the speaker's interest in researching it. They mention their interest in exploring its applications in different areas, such as race cars and paper planes, and ask for book recommendations and other helpful resources. The other person provides multiple book titles and suggests looking into websites, journals, and research papers as well.
mAfouk
hello,:smile:

I wanted to do some personal research in physics, which obviously is my subject of interest. more precisely something on aerodynamics. I am not sure yet on which part of aerodynamics i want to investigate in, but I had a few examples allready: aerodynamics applyed to a race car; ...; finally I thought that aerodynamics applyed to a paper plane the easiest examle was, also to experiment with etc.

I would like some advice from people who know a bit more about this, and see whether it is a good topic, maybe you can give me some book titles or other usefull stuff where I can expend my research.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm glad you asked! Aerodynamics is an incredibly fascinating and complex field of study. It can be applied to many different topics, so the possibilities are virtually endless! A few book titles that could help you expand your research include: -Fundamentals of Aerodynamics by John D Anderson Jr. -Introduction to Aerodynamics of Flight by John D Anderson Jr. -Aerodynamics for Engineering Students by E.L.Houghton and P.W. Carpenter -Compressible Flow Aerodynamics for Engineers by J.D. Anderson Jr. -Modern Compressible Flow with Historical Perspective by John D Anderson Jr. -Aerodynamics for Naval Aviators by W.F. Durand You may also want to consider looking into other sources such as websites, journals, and research papers. Some great websites include: -NASA's Aeronautics Research Mission Directorate-NASA's Aeronautics Research Mission Directorate-AIAA (American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics)-Aerospace Engineering Resources -Aerodynamics Online I hope this helps you in your research! Good luck!

1. What is aerodynamics and why is it important?

Aerodynamics is the study of how gases, particularly air, interact with solid objects. It is important because it helps us understand and improve the performance and efficiency of various objects such as airplanes, cars, and even sports equipment.

2. How does air resistance affect the speed and movement of objects?

Air resistance, also known as drag, is a force that acts in the opposite direction of an object's motion. This force increases with the speed of the object and can significantly affect its movement and speed. Understanding and minimizing air resistance is crucial for achieving optimal performance in various applications.

3. What are some common applications of aerodynamics?

Aerodynamics has numerous applications, including aviation, automotive engineering, wind turbines, sports equipment design, and even building design. It is also crucial in understanding weather patterns and predicting their effects on air and water transport.

4. How can I conduct personal research on aerodynamics?

There are many ways to conduct personal research on aerodynamics, such as reading books or scientific papers, attending conferences or workshops, conducting experiments, or using simulation software. It is essential to have a basic understanding of aerodynamics principles before diving into personal research.

5. What are some current topics or advancements in aerodynamics research?

Some current topics in aerodynamics research include the development of more efficient and sustainable aircraft designs, the use of computational fluid dynamics to improve performance, and the study of flow control techniques to reduce drag. There is also ongoing research on the effects of aerodynamics on renewable energy sources such as wind turbines.