How much harder will calculus 1st year physics be?

In summary: Therefore,In summary, it is recommended to review the textbook before taking the calc-based physics courses and to have a good understanding of calculus. While the topic coverage may be similar, the calc-based courses may be easier due to the focus on derivations and intuition rather than just memorizing formulas. However, the difficulty may also depend on the professor's teaching style and exam questions.
Frzn
Ok so I started this year as a pre-health major so I took the non-major physics classes (non calc based) and enjoyed them so much I want to take the calc based classes and start anew with physics next year. I did mechanics in semester 1, and E&M and optics and briefly touched on modern physics in semester 2. Next year I'll be doing mechanics first semester and then in second semester it seems like they ignore E&M and do just a lot about waves.

Will it be easier because I've already taken the non calc course? Or is the non calc simplified so much that it will be quite difficult?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
There is nothing really that difficult, except the fact that your professor may constantly reminding you that he would ask you to apply basic calculus in your exam questions. Now this is just my professor.

There are more topics covered. But basic concepts are pretty much the same.
Hint: I'd say go over the textbook whenever you can before you take the class. Ask people for the book.

It may be easier in some sense, but not really. Physics require intuition. Knowing formulas do not help.

In my opinion, as long as you know calculus, the calc-based courses are easier than the non-calc based ones. The reason for this is you get to go through the derivations of various equations, instead of just hand-waving.

1. How much math background is required for calculus 1st year physics?

Calculus 1st year physics requires a strong foundation in algebra and trigonometry. Some knowledge of pre-calculus topics such as functions, limits, and basic derivatives is also helpful. It is recommended to have completed at least one year of high school calculus before taking calculus-based physics.

2. Is calculus-based physics significantly harder than algebra-based physics?

Calculus-based physics involves more advanced mathematical concepts and techniques compared to algebra-based physics. However, the level of difficulty ultimately depends on the individual student's comfort and understanding of calculus. Some students may find calculus-based physics easier because it provides a more comprehensive understanding of the underlying concepts.

3. Will I need to memorize a lot of calculus formulas for physics?

While there are certain key formulas that should be memorized, such as the fundamental theorems of calculus and basic derivatives and integrals, the emphasis is usually placed on understanding the concepts and applying them to problem-solving. It is important to have a strong grasp of the underlying principles and how to manipulate equations to solve problems, rather than just memorizing formulas.

4. How much time should I dedicate to studying for calculus 1st year physics?

Since calculus 1st year physics covers a wide range of topics and requires a solid understanding of both calculus and physics concepts, it is recommended to dedicate a significant amount of time to studying. This may include attending lectures, reviewing notes, practicing problems, and seeking additional help if needed. The amount of time may vary for each individual, but it is generally recommended to spend at least 8-10 hours per week on studying for this course.

5. What resources are available to help me succeed in calculus 1st year physics?

There are many resources available to help students succeed in calculus-based physics. These may include textbooks, online tutorials, practice problems, review sessions, and office hours with the professor or teaching assistants. It is important to take advantage of these resources and seek help when needed. Additionally, forming study groups with classmates can be beneficial in understanding and practicing concepts.