How Small Can You Go? Exploring the Limits of Size

• Thread starter fakts
  • Start date
In summary, the smallest known thing is a proton which is made of quarks. But quarks must be made of other things and those things are made of even other things and so on and so on. The point particle which has zero volume has no limit to its size. Mass becomes energy at some point and there is no end to the size of the universe or multi-universe.
fakts
Title says it all, and it has been in my head forever
How small can you go? As far as I know, the smallest known this is what makes a proton which called quarks? but still, a quark must be made of other things and those things are made of even other things and so on.. But till where? infinity?
I can't imagine there is such thing as smallest and no smaller than that, at least that's what I think.

Can someone with white beard help me get some sleep?

Thanks

If this has been discussed before please link me and I apologize

Physics news on Phys.org
fakts said:
still, a quark must be made of other things

Must?

Well, you get the idea

It's quarks all the way down.

an electron is a point particle - it has no volume - that's about as small as you can get. same thing with quarks - point particles, no volume. that pretty much covers everything...

Ok, and what makes that point a point?

quarks and electrons are point particles because they have no extension in space. i don't quite understand what you mean by "what makes a point a point"...

I'm sorry for being silly, but I'm not a physicist and I see things as an amount of smaller things, like a house is made out of bricks and bricks are made out of smaller things and so on.
So I'm having difficulties saying this is is the smallest thing and its not made out of anything smaller :confused:
I thought that maybe you can just go forever from small to smaller to smaller and never to smallest.

again, a point particle has zero volume - you cannot get any smaller than zero volume. there is not, and cannot be, anything smaller than a point particle. point particles are not made of anything smaller. that is why we call them fundamental particles.

At some point, theorizing, I think mass becomes energy. Because what I've heard, they are the same thing.
What makes up energy? Thats what you're going to have to ask someone smarter than me.

jnorman,

Thanks a lot for taking the time
Just one question, does the same thing apply for the very big? I mean is there an end to the size of the universe or multi-universe as I heard once in some doc?
There is no wall where everything stops, is there? hehe

oye vey - i don't think there is a limit on big, other than the debate over closed vs open universe. OTOH, if you are talking about the physical size of an object contained within the universe, once any object gets to a certain mass, it will eventually collapse upon itself into a singularity, which once again is a point with no physical size.

jnorman said:
oye vey - i don't think there is a limit on big, other than the debate over closed vs open universe. OTOH, if you are talking about the physical size of an object contained within the universe, once any object gets to a certain mass, it will eventually collapse upon itself into a singularity, which once again is a point with no physical size.

A star which has collapsed into a neutron star or a black hole has a physical size.
I don't know if this is what you meant though.

fawk3s said:
A star which has collapsed into a neutron star or a black hole has a physical size.
I don't know if this is what you meant though.

I think he's talking about where all that matter condenses into a point of zero volume, i.e. the singularity.

fakts said:
I'm sorry for being silly, but I'm not a physicist and I see things as an amount of smaller things, like a house is made out of bricks and bricks are made out of smaller things and so on.
So I'm having difficulties saying this is is the smallest thing and its not made out of anything smaller :confused:
I thought that maybe you can just go forever from small to smaller to smaller and never to smallest.

Plank length puts limit on the smallest dimension which is 1.616×10^-35 Meter. Nothing can be smaller than this. Plank length is 10^20 times smaller than proton diameter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planck_length

1. How do scientists measure the size of particles?

Scientists use various instruments and techniques to measure the size of particles. One common method is using an electron microscope, which uses electron beams to visualize and measure objects at the nanoscale.

2. What is the smallest particle known to man?

The smallest particle known to man is the quark, which makes up protons and neutrons and is about 10^-18 meters in size. However, scientists are still exploring the possibility of even smaller particles.

3. Can we manipulate particles at the nanoscale?

Yes, scientists have developed various techniques to manipulate particles at the nanoscale, such as through nanotechnology and using atomic force microscopes.

4. How do the properties of materials change at the nanoscale?

The properties of materials at the nanoscale can differ significantly from their bulk counterparts due to quantum effects and increased surface area. For example, materials can become stronger, more reactive, or exhibit different optical properties at the nanoscale.

5. Are there any limitations to how small we can go?

Currently, our understanding and technology have limitations in exploring the smallest particles, and there may be a limit to how small we can go. However, as technology and research continue to advance, we may be able to push the boundaries even further.