Are Tattoos Safe and Painful? - Answers Here!

• Thread starter Sting
  • Start date
In summary, getting a tattoo on your bicep poses some risks, such as the risk of infection and distortion of the image due to muscle gain. It is important to ensure that the tattoo artist follows safety procedures as described by the law. Aftercare is also crucial in preventing infection. The process of getting a tattoo can be painful, but it is bearable and the level of pain depends on the location of the tattoo. Consider trying a temporary tattoo first to see if you like it before committing to a permanent one.
Sting
I'm considering getting a tatoo on my left bicep but I have some questions.

1. How risky is it and how can I be sure that the place putting a tatoo on me is following safety procedures as described by the law.

2. I also weight train. If I got a tatoo on my bicep, wouldn't the image be distorted by muscle gain?

3. What's the risk of infection after the tatoo is placed onto the skin?

Questions, Questions, Questions.

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by Sting
1. How risky is it and how can I be sure that the place putting a tatoo on me is following safety procedures as described by the law.

I got a tatoo, and when i did the guy had new needle, new gloves, change the ink, had disinfectant and kept the arm clean with a paper towels. You should see the person opening the needle package in front of you. Make sure you see everything in order to be sure.

2. I also weight train. If I got a tatoo on my bicep, wouldn't the image be distorted by muscle gain?

You migth have some strech mark if your muscle increase a lot compare to the present size. It also depend were your tatoo is on your bicep.

3. What's the risk of infection after the tatoo is placed onto the skin?

After you remove your bandage, your suppose to apply an antiseptic cream that you can buy in drugstore. You put the cream your tatoo frequently (every 2 hours) at begining. As your tissue scars, then the cream is not needed as much. It takes about 1 to 2 weeks of using the cream.

Just to had up, the noise of the needle is annoying and it doesn't hurt unless your close to a bone then you feel the vibration in a many part of body. It is unpleasent if your there for more than an hour.

i remember shortly after getting mine it itched for a few days...

Thanks Iansmith and Kerrie.

I really haven't made up my decision about it but I'm giving myself more time to think about it.

I also heard that they have these temporary tatoos that you "iron" on and they go away after a month (I think). If I'm really wanting a tatoo, I'll get one of those first and see how I like it.

I also heard that they process of getting a tatoo is very painful but not unbearable. Any fact behind this?

Just don't get a barbed wire band. Those tats are played out.

I also heard that they process of getting a tatoo is very painful but not unbearable. Any fact behind this?

Depend were you get your tatoo. one of my friend got a tatoo on his shoulder plate and he said it hurt is pectorals (?) but he said it was bearable. I got it on my arm and it felt like when you get a vaccine or when the take blood. To me it bearly hurt and it was bearable at the begining, by the end it was still bearable but i was glad it done.

What are the risks associated with getting a tattoo?

Some of the risks associated with getting a tattoo include infection from unsanitary equipment or practices, allergic reactions to tattoo ink, and the potential for scarring or keloids. It is important to research the tattoo artist and shop before getting a tattoo to ensure they follow proper sanitation guidelines.

How long does a tattoo take to heal?

The healing time for a tattoo can vary depending on the size and placement of the tattoo, as well as individual factors such as skin type and immune system. On average, a tattoo can take 2-3 weeks to heal, but it is important to follow aftercare instructions provided by the tattoo artist to ensure proper healing.

Can a tattoo be removed?

Yes, tattoos can be removed through various methods such as laser removal, dermabrasion, or surgical excision. However, these methods can be costly and may not completely remove the tattoo. It is important to carefully consider the decision to get a tattoo before getting one.

How do I choose a design for my tattoo?

Choosing a design for a tattoo is a personal decision and can be influenced by many factors such as personal meaning, aesthetics, and cultural significance. It is important to take the time to research and find a design that you are happy with and will be satisfied with for years to come.

Can I get a tattoo if I have certain medical conditions?

It is important to consult with a medical professional before getting a tattoo if you have a medical condition such as diabetes, heart disease, or compromised immune system. Certain medications may also affect the healing process of a tattoo. It is important to disclose any medical conditions or medications to the tattoo artist before getting a tattoo.