Resistance and current question

In summary: If you have 1 Ohm in parallel with 2 Ohms, how does the current divide between the two branches? In what ratio? The current will divide in the ratio of 1/ Ohm * Voltage.
Gardalay

Homework Statement

Suppose that a person's body resistance is 900ohms.
a) what current passes through the body when the person accidentally is connected to 110V?
b) if there is an alternative path to ground whose resistance is 40 ohms, what current passes through the person?
c) if the voltage source can produce at most 1.5A, how much current passes through the person in case b)?

Homework Equations

V=IR

The Attempt at a Solution

A) V=IR, I=0.122
B)1/900+1/40=0.026^-1=38.29 ohms, 110/38.29=2.87amps, 0.122a passes through the person, 2.75amps passes through the ground

C) Would the answer just be 1.372amps since 2.75-1.5=1.25 and then 1.25+0.122=1.372?

Physics news on Phys.org
Gardalay said:

Homework Statement

Suppose that a person's body resistance is 900ohms.
a) what current passes through the body when the person accidentally is connected to 110V?
b) if there is an alternative path to ground whose resistance is 40 ohms, what current passes through the person?
c) if the voltage source can produce at most 1.5A, how much current passes through the person in case b)?

Homework Equations

V=IR

The Attempt at a Solution

A) V=IR, I=0.122
B)1/900+1/40=0.026^-1=38.29 ohms, 110/38.29=2.87amps, 0.122a passes through the person, 2.75amps passes through the ground

C) Would the answer just be 1.372amps since 2.75-1.5=1.25 and then 1.25+0.122=1.372?

I would solve part C differently. 1.25 amps is only a little bit more than 10X as much current as 0.122 amps, yet one resistor has over 20X the resistance compared to the other. So the difference in current between the body and the other path must be greater than what you have and still equal to a total of 1.5 amps when added toegther.

I found out the answer was to be 1.5*40/940.
I have no idea how the person got 40/940 can someone please explain

Gardalay said:
I found out the answer was to be 1.5*40/940.
I have no idea how the person got 40/940 can someone please explain

It's just from Ohm's Law. Have you learned about voltage dividers yet? How about current dividers? The problem presents you with a current divider. If you have the same voltage across two parallel resistors, how does the current divide between the two paths? How would you calculate it?

Wouldn't I just add 1/40+1/900=38.29ohms?

Gardalay said:
Wouldn't I just add 1/40+1/900=38.29ohms?

Not if you want to figure out how the current divides between the two branches, which I think is part of this question.

If you have 1 Ohm in parallel with 2 Ohms, how does the current divide between the two branches? In what ratio?

1. What is electrical resistance?

Electrical resistance is a measure of how much an object or material impedes the flow of electric current. It is measured in ohms and is represented by the symbol "R".

2. How is resistance related to current?

The relationship between resistance and current is described by Ohm's Law, which states that the current through a conductor is directly proportional to the voltage applied to it and inversely proportional to its resistance. In other words, as resistance increases, current decreases, and vice versa.

3. What factors affect resistance?

The three main factors that affect resistance are the material of the conductor, its length, and its cross-sectional area. Materials such as copper and silver have low resistance, while materials like rubber and glass have high resistance. Longer conductors have higher resistance, and wider conductors have lower resistance.

4. Can resistance be negative?

No, resistance cannot be negative. It is a physical property that represents the hindrance to current flow. If an equation yields a negative resistance value, it is usually due to an error in measurement or calculation.

5. How is resistance measured?

Resistance is measured using a device called a multimeter, which sends a small known current through the conductor and measures the voltage drop across it. The resistance can then be calculated using Ohm's Law (R=V/I).