Radial motion into an Einstein-Rosen bridge (Poplawski)

In summary, the conversation discussed a paper titled "Radial motion into an Einstein-Rosen bridge" by Nikodem J. Poplawski, which suggests the possibility of our universe being located within the interior of a wormhole. The topic was deemed not well-researched and it was advised not to pay for the paper as it is freely available on arXiv. The conversation also mentioned the need for an independent analysis of Poplawski's work and the potential for it to be less physically realistic than he realizes.
Arbitrageur
"Radial motion into an Einstein-Rosen bridge" (Poplawski)

Hi everyone, this is my first post on Physicsforums. I've enjoyed lurking and learning from the knowledgeable folks here.

I have a question about a paper titled: "Radial motion into an Einstein-Rosen bridge," Physics Letters B, by Nikodem J. Poplawski. (Volume 687, Issues 2-3, 12 April 2010, Pages 110-113.

I read the forum rules that say: "All threads in this forum are intended for discussion of the scientific content of well-researched models of physics beyond the Standard Model that have been published in peer-reviewed journals." I believe the Physics Letters B meets the peer reviewed requirement but I don't know if this particular model is well researched. Parts of it sound familiar but the part about us being inside a black hole doesn't sound familiar to me at all. I always thought being inside a black hole wouldn't be a good thing and I wouldn't be able to type on the internet like this if I was inside a black hole. However it has been a number of years since I worked on my physics degree.

Here is an article about the paper:

http://newsinfo.iu.edu/news/page/normal/13995.html

"Could our universe be located within the interior of a wormhole which itself is part of a black hole that lies within a much larger universe?

Such a scenario in which the universe is born from inside a wormhole (also called an Einstein-Rosen Bridge) is suggested in a paper from Indiana University theoretical physicist Nikodem Poplawski in Physics Letters B. The final version of the paper was available online March 29 and will be published in the journal edition April 12.

Poplawski is a research associate in the IU Department of Physics. He holds an M.S. and a Ph.D. in physics from Indiana University and a M.S. in astronomy from the University of Warsaw, Poland."

Is this topic well-researched and would it be a waste of money for me to pay for this paper to read it? I must admit I'm skeptical, but some people I know have asked me about this because it seems to support the work of a pseudoscientist who claims that we are all living inside a black hole or something like that. I don't believe the pseudoscientist at all, but since Poplawski does have credentials, I don't want to be too quick to dismiss his work without getting some opinions from the experts here.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org

Welcome to Physics Forums!
Arbitrageur said:
Is this topic well-researched

An independent quantitative analysis of Poplawski's splicing together of spacetimes needs to be done, and this analysis needs to to be performed with more care than Poplawski has used. Such an analysis likely would show that Poplawski's spacetime is much stranger and less physically realistic than he realizes.
Arbitrageur said:
and would it be a waste of money for me to pay for this paper to read it?

Yes, it would be a waste of money to pay for the paper, as it is freely available on the arXiv. :biggrin:

http://arxiv.org/abs/0902.1994

George Jones said:
Welcome to Physics Forums!
An independent quantitative analysis of Poplawski's splicing together of spacetimes needs to be done, and this analysis needs to to be performed with more care than Poplawski has used. Such an analysis likely would show that Poplawski's spacetime is much stranger and less physically realistic than he realizes.

Thanks, that's exactly the type of feedback I was looking for!

Yes, it would be a waste of money to pay for the paper, as it is freely available on the arXiv. :biggrin:

Great! I downloaded the paper and am reading it now. I had followed the link from the article and that took me to a site where there was a fee to download the paper...next time I'll know to check arXiv, so thanks again!

1. What is a radial motion into an Einstein-Rosen bridge?

A radial motion into an Einstein-Rosen bridge, also known as a "wormhole," is a hypothetical tunnel through space-time that connects two distant points in the universe. It is based on the theory of general relativity, proposed by Albert Einstein, and the mathematical solution derived by Nathan Rosen and Albert Einstein in 1935.

2. How does a wormhole work?

A wormhole works by warping the fabric of space-time, creating a shortcut between two distant points. This is achieved by connecting two black holes or two white holes through a tunnel, allowing matter or light to travel through the shortcut and emerge at the other end in a different location and time.

3. Can a wormhole really exist?

While the theory of general relativity allows for the existence of wormholes, there is currently no evidence to support their existence in the universe. The conditions required for a wormhole to form are still unknown, and it is currently a subject of ongoing research and speculation in the scientific community.

4. What is the significance of Poplawski's theory?

Poplawski's theory suggests that wormholes could be created by the spin of particles, rather than the collapse of matter as previously thought. This could potentially allow for the creation of traversable wormholes, which would have significant implications for space travel and the exploration of the universe.

5. Could we ever use a wormhole for travel?

While the idea of using a wormhole for travel is intriguing, there are currently many challenges that would need to be overcome. The immense gravitational forces and potential instability of wormholes would make it difficult for humans to survive the journey. Additionally, the technology required to create and control a wormhole is currently beyond our capabilities.