Crate on a cable statics question

In summary, we can see that there are three forces acting on the string under the crate: two tensions at the sides and the weight of the crate. The gravitational force of the crate on the string is the sum of the two vertical components of the tensions. After finding the angle of the cables, it is confirmed that there are no additional forces acting on the string.
divineyang

Homework Statement

Please refer to the attachment.

Homework Equations

Sum of x and y forces = zero
Sum of moments about any point = zero

The Attempt at a Solution

By looking at the portion of the string under the crate, there are 3 forces acting on it, namely the two tensions at the side and the weight of the crate. Hence I deduce that the gravitational force of the crate acting on the string is the sum of the two vertical components of the tensions.

Can anyone tell me if I'm right or am I missing out on any forces?

Please help, thanks much!

Attachments

• Crate on Cable.jpg
    Crate on Cable.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 403
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You are correct. Next you'll have to use a little trig to find the angle that the cables make.

oh i got the angle already, I was just confused as to whether there were any more forces acting on it. thanks for the clarification!

1. What is the purpose of a crate on a cable statics question?

A crate on a cable statics question is used to understand the forces acting on a crate suspended from a cable, and how to calculate those forces in equilibrium.

2. How do you draw a free body diagram for a crate on a cable statics question?

To draw a free body diagram for a crate on a cable statics question, you need to identify all the external forces acting on the crate, including the weight of the crate, the tension in the cable, and any other applied forces. These forces should be represented by arrows pointing in the direction of the force.

3. What are the key equations used to solve a crate on a cable statics question?

The key equations used to solve a crate on a cable statics question are Newton's Second Law (F=ma) and the sum of the forces in the x and y directions being equal to zero (ΣFx=0 and ΣFy=0). These equations can be used to calculate the unknown forces acting on the crate.

4. How do you determine the tension in the cable for a crate on a cable statics question?

To determine the tension in the cable for a crate on a cable statics question, you need to use the equations ΣFx=0 and ΣFy=0 to set up a system of equations with the unknown tension and other forces. Solving for the tension will give you its exact value.

5. Can you use the same approach for a crate on a cable statics question with non-uniform weights?

Yes, the same approach can be used for a crate on a cable statics question with non-uniform weights. You just need to account for the varying weight of the crate in your free body diagram and equations. Additionally, you may need to use trigonometric functions to find the components of the weight force in the x and y directions.