How can you rearrange the equation to get a positive tension at the front?

• Thread starter RK1992
  • Start date
In summary, to solve for T in the given equation, we can solve for cosθ and substitute it into the formula for T. Simplifying and discarding the negative root, we get the final formula for T.
RK1992
Given:

[tex]T=mgcos\theta[/tex]

and

[tex] cos^2\theta + \frac{mV^2}{ag} cos\theta - 1 = 0 [/tex]

show that:

[tex] T = \frac{mV^2}{2a} [1+\sqrt{1+(\frac{2ag}{V^2})^2}] [/tex]

I always get:

[tex] T = - \frac{mV^2}{2a} [1 + \sqrt{1 + (\frac{2ag}{V^2})^2}] [/tex]

T represents a tension in a string so I understand why you'd take just the positive root (can't have a negative tension in a string) but I don't see how you can get a positive mV²/2a out in the front.. Any ideas if it's me who's wrong or the question? If it is impossible to rearrange so there's not a negative outside, do you just take the magnitude for the reason I stated, because it's a string?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The answer given is correct. To get it, you should solve the equation for cosθ:cos^2\theta + \frac{mV^2}{ag} cos\theta - 1 = 0 cos\theta = \frac{-\frac{mV^2}{ag} \pm \sqrt{\frac{m^2V^4}{a^2g^2}+ 4}}{2} Substitute this expression into the formula for T to get:T = mg\frac{-\frac{mV^2}{ag} \pm \sqrt{\frac{m^2V^4}{a^2g^2}+ 4}}{2} Simplify to get:T = \frac{mV^2}{2a} \pm \frac{mV^2}{2a}\sqrt{1 + \frac{4a^2g^2}{m^2V^4}} Since we cannot have a negative tension in a string, the negative root must be discarded and you are left with:T = \frac{mV^2}{2a} [1+\sqrt{1+(\frac{2ag}{V^2})^2}]

1. What is a simple rearranging question?

A simple rearranging question is a type of question that requires the respondent to rearrange a set of given information or elements in a specific order or pattern.

2. How do I solve a simple rearranging question?

To solve a simple rearranging question, you need to carefully read and understand the given information or elements, and then rearrange them according to the specified criteria.

3. What skills are needed to answer a simple rearranging question?

Some key skills needed to answer a simple rearranging question include critical thinking, problem-solving, and the ability to identify and apply patterns and logic.

4. Are there any strategies for solving a simple rearranging question?

Yes, there are various strategies that can be used to solve a simple rearranging question. These include identifying keywords, drawing diagrams or tables, and breaking down the question into smaller parts.

5. Can a simple rearranging question be solved without a calculator?

Yes, a simple rearranging question can be solved without a calculator as it primarily involves rearranging and organizing information rather than performing complex calculations.