How late is too late (to get an education)?

• Thread starter spacejammin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Education
In summary, the individual missed out on traditional education due to being homeschooled and attending a small Christian school, where they rebelled against the religious teachings. They then became addicted to drugs but found motivation to turn their life around after listening to Carl Sagan's "Pale Blue Dot." They are now clean and want to pursue a degree in physics, but are facing challenges such as lack of knowledge and skills in math and rejection from previous universities. They are seeking advice on how to catch up and prepare for a physics degree, and if it's possible to be accepted into an aerospace engineering program at a later age. The suggested solution is to attend a community college and focus on mastering the basics of math and science before transferring to a four-year
spacejammin
Greeting all, thank you in advance for taking the time to read this. I was home schooled from an early age and attended a small christian school for high school where my bible teacher was also my English and math teacher. Throughout these years I rejected most of everything I was ever taught mainly because the christian slant attached to every subject was unbearable to me, so I cheated my way to a high school diploma.

After high school I decided to take a few classes at the local university and quickly got introduced to illegal drugs, which compelled me to fail all my classes and become, quite literally, a junkie. I was addicted to heroin and was homeless for almost 3 years. One day, in search of listening material at a friends house, I came across Carl Sagan's "Pale Blue Dot" audio book. After listening to this I remembered my boyhood dreams and curiosities of space and decided right then to quit the drugs and take charge of my life.

I've been clean for almost 2 years now and I am 22 years old. Now my biggest problem is that I missed learning almost all early math, even basic algebra. I wish to pursue a undergraduate degree in physics, however because of my failed classes, poor test scores and age, my previous university has rejected my application and I wonder if I will ever be able to catch up and be accepted into a good school/program.

Most of what I've learned over the past 5 years since high school has been self taught from the internet and books, so I have no problem learning on my own. My biggest problem has been understanding the way institutions and (for lack a better words) life works. I seek hard knowledge and wish to pursue it in the most intelligent manner, however I've never been comfortable asking advice in a real life situation, do to the circumstances of my post-high school experiences and fear of being categorized as a delinquent.

Any advice on what one must do to pursue a physics degree with no previous knowledge of any related topics, and how to go about learning these in preparation of attempting to get accepted into a good school, are much appreciated.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you attend a community college while otherwise supporting yourself? If so, you may be able to "catch up" on materials that you missed in HS. CC's around here tend to have some pretty flexible hours, so you can work full-time and still get evening classes in. If you can do well in such a setting, you should be able to transition to a state college.

22 is not too late to start pursuing your goals. Good luck, and welcome to PF.

I believe I could attend the local community college while holding a part time job to support myself. What kind of certification/associates degree would be the best to lead eventually into physics? From what I know of the community college here is that they mostly just offer technical skills such as dentistry assistant, IT, applied business and such. I considered the IT cert as a starting point, however the course list seems to cover things like web design and basic software skills.

The CC's around here generally have programs leading to nursing and other fields such as physical therapy, so they offer remedial (introductory) courses in sciences and math that their students may have skipped or failed in HS. Once you have mastered those, you should have gotten up to speed with a normal public HS curriculum (maybe even more) and should be able to apply to a college of your choice.

I would not spend a lot of time with IT if you are not headed in that direction in your later education. If I were in your shoes, I'd opt for courses in the basics of science and math, and try to do my best to master the material and score well. There are tons of people who can design websites (including HS students who will work for less than you will), and IT jobs can easily be exported off-shore, excepting hands-on network maintenance and configuration.

spacejammin said:
I believe I could attend the local community college while holding a part time job to support myself. What kind of certification/associates degree would be the best to lead eventually into physics? From what I know of the community college here is that they mostly just offer technical skills such as dentistry assistant, IT, applied business and such. I considered the IT cert as a starting point, however the course list seems to cover things like web design and basic software skills.

Why don't you shoot for your Associates Degree at a CC instead of a technical certificate? You can take up to differential equations at a CC, plus your physics sequence, and then you can transfer to a 4 yr uni for your upper division physics and math.

You should be able to take more than enough courses at a community college to make up for what you missed. My local CC offers basic algebra through calc 2 and ODE's. They have 2 or three physics classes as well.

Thanks for the advice. I've already made the necessary preparations to enroll in community college. My test scores place me at developmental math as a starting point (pre-algebra), so I guess that is where I will start my gradual ascension towards enlightenment.

I have one other question which may seem a bit far fetched, however I think about it quite a bit. Say I do manage to climb my way up the mathematical ladder and end up doing well. Will I ever, at say the age of 25-28, be able to apply to an aerospace engineering university or do they mostly want younger more talented applicants?

spacejammin said:
Thanks for the advice. I've already made the necessary preparations to enroll in community college. My test scores place me at developmental math as a starting point (pre-algebra), so I guess that is where I will start my gradual ascension towards enlightenment.

I have one other question which may seem a bit far fetched, however I think about it quite a bit. Say I do manage to climb my way up the mathematical ladder and end up doing well. Will I ever, at say the age of 25-28, be able to apply to an aerospace engineering university or do they mostly want younger more talented applicants?

They really don't care. If anything as a 25-28 year old, you are viewed as mature and a bit more sure of what you want out of life, which if nothing else, is a plus.

Im 32 and in my third year of Physics and math. So as far as your topic question, how late is too late? Never, unless you're dead.

spacejammin said:

No, your age will not be a factor.

You *can* do this. I had to start with "Introduction to Algebra" at the community college, and I ended up with a BS in physics from a good university. Just start taking those steps, don't worry about things like your age or how long it's taking to finish. It's a long slow slog, and it's hard from beginning to end, but definitely doable.

Good luck!

I had a professor who worked minimum wage jobs until he was 24, and started college at 25, without a high school education. He got his phd in his 30s, but since the past 40 years, he's met with world leaders and various economists over policy issues.

never too late. you won't get a nobel prize, but you can do SOMETHING.

If a 75 year old got a phd in english, then education is never too late. The person I'm referring to is my gr 11 math teacher's father.

Everyone has given you great advice so far.

You seem pretty motivated now. Not sure if you've seen them, but these videos would be good to help teach yourself- http://www.khanacademy.org/

Thanks everyone for the great advice and inspirational words, I feel as though I know which direction to go now.

And Null, thanks for the link. I've never seen Khan Academy before, have always just youtubed fields of interest and hoped to find some good info. This will be a spectacular study guide I'm sure.

I heard somewhere that for 99% of people, their greatest work is done before 30.

Just sayin.

PhDorBust said:
I heard somewhere that for 99% of people, their greatest work is done before 30.

Just sayin.
Yeah, I think I've read that in the July issue of Old Wives' Tales Monthly, as well. Quite an interesting article, OP should definitely check it out if he can get a hold of it.

1. How do you determine when it's too late to get an education?

There is no specific age or time frame that can determine if it's too late to get an education. It ultimately depends on an individual's personal goals, circumstances, and motivation. Education is a lifelong journey and it's never too late to start or continue learning.

2. Can I still get a degree if I'm older?

Yes, there is no age limit for obtaining a degree. Many universities and colleges offer flexible programs and courses for adult learners. Additionally, there are online courses and programs available that can accommodate busy schedules.

3. What if I have been out of school for a long time?

Returning to education after a long break can be intimidating, but it is definitely possible. It's important to assess your current knowledge and skills and then choose a program or courses that align with your goals and needs. Universities and colleges also offer support services for students who have been out of school for a while.

4. Is it worth going back to school later in life?

That depends on your personal goals and aspirations. Going back to school later in life can bring many benefits, such as career advancement, personal growth, and increased knowledge. It can also open up new opportunities and help you stay competitive in the job market. Ultimately, it's a personal decision that should be based on your individual circumstances and goals.

5. What if I don't have the financial means to go back to school?

There are various financial aid options available for students, regardless of age. These include scholarships, grants, loans, and work-study programs. It's important to research and apply for these opportunities to help offset the cost of education. Additionally, many universities and colleges have financial aid offices that can provide guidance and assistance in finding funding options.