Mean power in driven, damped harmonic oscillators

In summary, the conversation is about understanding a section in lecture notes regarding a transition from one line of working to another. The confusion lies in the equivalence between the real part of a long expression and m gamma |v_0|^2. The expert explains that the term divided by (i omega) is imaginary and does not contribute to the real part. This means that the force only does work over a complete cycle against the displacement component that is 90 degrees out of phase with it. At resonance, the displacement is 90 degrees out of phase with the force, allowing it to maintain a large amplitude of oscillation. However, far from resonance, the displacement is either nearly in phase or nearly 180 degrees out of phase with the force
yjx
Ok, there's a bit I don't understand in my lecture notes. The maths doesn't seem to quite work out. Any help would be appreciated.

Here's the section I'm confused about:

http://img228.imageshack.us/i/physy.jpg/

It's the transition from the second last line of working to the last line which I can't figure out.

It's probably just me being stupid but I can't see how the two are equivalent.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
You mean getting from Real part of the long expression, to
m gamma |v_0|^2 ??

The reason is that the omegas are real quantities, so the term divided by (i omega) is imaginary and doesn't contribute to the real part.

What this means phyiscally is that the force only does work over a complete cycle against the displacement component that is 90 degrees out of phase with it (or the velocity component that is in phase with it). At resonance, the displacement is 90 degrees out of phase with the force, so the force can do work and maintain the amplitude of oscillation at a large value. A long way away from resonance, the displacement is either nearly in phase with the force or nearly 180 degrees out of phase. The force puts energy into the system for half of each cycle but the energy is given back during the other half, and the amount of work done over the complete cycle is small.

Ah of course, I'd read the equation wrongly. I thought that the gamma was within the division which it isn't. Now it makes perfect sense! I blame poor equation writing (obviously not my failure to count the number of brackets).

Thanks for the help!

1. What is the formula for mean power in driven, damped harmonic oscillators?

The formula for mean power in driven, damped harmonic oscillators is P = 1/2 * (k*ω^2*A^2) * (Γ^2/((Γ^2 + ω^2)^2 + (b*ω)^2)), where P is the mean power, k is the spring constant, ω is the angular frequency of the driving force, A is the amplitude of the driving force, Γ is the damping coefficient, and b is the damping parameter.

2. How does the mean power change with increasing damping in a driven, damped harmonic oscillator?

The mean power decreases with increasing damping in a driven, damped harmonic oscillator. This is because damping dissipates energy from the system, resulting in a decrease in the amplitude of the oscillations and therefore a decrease in the mean power.

3. Can mean power in driven, damped harmonic oscillators ever be negative?

No, the mean power in driven, damped harmonic oscillators is always positive. This is because power is the rate at which energy is transferred, and energy can only be transferred in a positive direction.

4. How does the driving frequency affect the mean power in a driven, damped harmonic oscillator?

The driving frequency has a significant effect on the mean power in a driven, damped harmonic oscillator. When the driving frequency is close to the natural frequency of the oscillator, the mean power is at its maximum. As the driving frequency deviates from the natural frequency, the mean power decreases. If the driving frequency is significantly different from the natural frequency, the mean power approaches zero.

5. What is the physical significance of mean power in driven, damped harmonic oscillators?

The mean power in driven, damped harmonic oscillators represents the average rate at which energy is transferred from the driving force to the oscillating system. It is an important quantity to consider when designing and analyzing systems that involve harmonic oscillations and damping, such as mechanical systems or electrical circuits.