First-Order Principles of Classical Mechanics

In summary, the conversation discusses the importance of understanding first-order principles in the study of physics, particularly in classical mechanics. The speaker seeks resources to better understand the principles behind the formulas used in the subject and mentions Newton's Laws as the key principles.
MJay82
My Physics teacher yesterday said something that gave me pause. He was talking about the necessity of clearly understanding the first-order principles of the science we study.

Last semester I took Classical Mechanics (part 1 of the Introduction to Calculus-Based Physics at my college) with a teacher who didn't stress first-order principles. He did derive formulas, but then quickly expected us to apply the derivations without giving additional thought to the first-order principles.

Could someone direct me toward a book or link that really gets into the principles behind the formulas for classical mechanics? I really want to build a strong foundation before I continue on in my study of physics.

Thanks for any help!
Michael J

Physics news on Phys.org
What you mean by first order principles? You mean the axioms of classical mechanics? Basically Newton's Laws are the axioms. In classical mechanics many principles like conservation of (linear or angular) momentum or conservation of mechanical energy or the work-energy(potential or kinetic) theorem can be derived from Newton Laws.

Okay - that makes a lot of sense to start with Newton's laws - thanks. Also, deriving velocity and acceleration kinematic formulas - but that seems easier. Thanks - I'll start looking at the rest of the course material by thinking about different ways to express Newton's laws.

1. What are first-order principles of classical mechanics?

First-order principles of classical mechanics are fundamental laws and concepts that explain the motion of objects in the physical world. They include Newton's laws of motion, the principle of inertia, and the law of conservation of energy.

2. Why are first-order principles important in classical mechanics?

First-order principles are important because they provide a solid foundation for understanding and predicting the behavior of objects in motion. They also serve as the building blocks for more complex principles and theories in classical mechanics.

3. How do first-order principles differ from second-order principles?

First-order principles are based on fundamental laws and concepts, while second-order principles are derived from these fundamental principles. In other words, second-order principles are built upon first-order principles.

4. Can first-order principles be applied to all systems in classical mechanics?

Yes, first-order principles can be applied to all systems in classical mechanics, as they are based on fundamental laws of nature that are universally applicable. However, in some cases, higher-order principles may be needed to fully explain the behavior of complex systems.

5. How can first-order principles be used to solve problems in classical mechanics?

First-order principles can be used to analyze and solve problems in classical mechanics by breaking them down into smaller, simpler parts and applying the fundamental laws and concepts to each part. This approach allows for a systematic and logical approach to problem-solving in classical mechanics.