Why am I getting negative pressures when calculating Bernoulli's equation?

• Thread starter 71GA
  • Start date
In summary, A member of a physics forum attempted to calculate Bernulli's equation but encountered negative pressures on both sides of the equation. They realized that they had written the equation in Slovenian, making it difficult for others to follow. Upon further examination, they discovered that they had a sign switched in the equation. The member was then welcomed to the forum and informed that they could use Google Translate to write in English.
71GA
Hello i tried to calculate Bernulli's equation myself and i get negative pressures on both sides of equation. What am i doing wrong? It is all in a document.

Ty

Attachments

• vprasanje.pdf
    81.6 KB · Views: 241
Physics news on Phys.org
71GA said:
Hello i tried to calculate Bernulli's equation myself and i get negative pressures on both sides of equation. What am i doing wrong? It is all in a document.

Ty
First of all you are writing it out in Slovenian. That makes it a little difficult for most people to follow.

But it appears that you have done the derivation correctly except you have a sign switched. The left side of your equation third from the bottom of page 1 should be [itex]-(p_2-p_1)[/itex]. This is because the change in PV is equal and opposite to the changes in kinetic and potential energy: eg. A decrease in PV energy must be equal to the increase in the sum of changes in kinetic and potential energies.

oh, in mimogrede, dobrodošli v fiziki forumih

AM

Nice to see someone here also talks Slovenian :) And thank you. This was my first thread on this forum and i got a nice reply. That is why i now like this forum :)

for reaching out! It's great that you're attempting to calculate Bernoulli's equation on your own. Negative pressures in Bernoulli's equation can be a bit confusing, but there are a few reasons why you may be getting them.

First, make sure that you are using the correct units for your calculations. Bernoulli's equation requires consistent units of pressure, velocity, and density. If your units are not consistent, you may end up with negative pressures.

Another common mistake is not taking into account the direction of the flow. Bernoulli's equation assumes that the flow is in the same direction throughout the entire system. If your calculations involve changes in flow direction, you may end up with negative pressures.

Additionally, negative pressures can also occur when there are losses or inefficiencies in the system. These losses can be caused by friction, turbulence, or other factors that decrease the energy of the fluid. In these cases, the pressure may become negative in order to balance out the energy loss.

I would recommend double-checking your calculations and units, as well as considering any changes in flow direction or potential losses in the system. If you're still getting negative pressures, it may be helpful to consult with a colleague or a textbook to ensure that your calculations are correct.

Keep up the good work and don't be discouraged by negative pressures. They can be a valuable indicator of potential issues in a system and can help guide further analysis and improvements. Good luck!

1. What is Bernoulli's equation?

Bernoulli's equation is a fundamental equation in fluid mechanics that describes the relationship between pressure, velocity, and height of a fluid in motion. It is based on the principle of conservation of energy.

2. What is the formula for Bernoulli's equation?

The formula for Bernoulli's equation is P + 1/2ρV² + ρgh = constant, where P is the pressure, ρ is the density of the fluid, V is the velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the fluid.

3. What are some applications of Bernoulli's equation?

Bernoulli's equation has many practical applications in engineering and science, including in the design of aircraft wings, ventilation systems, and hydraulic systems. It is also used in weather forecasting and studying fluid flow in nature.

4. What are the assumptions made in Bernoulli's equation?

The main assumptions made in Bernoulli's equation are that the fluid is incompressible, the flow is steady and laminar, and there is no friction or viscosity in the fluid. These assumptions may not hold true in all real-world situations, but they provide a good approximation for many practical applications.

5. How is Bernoulli's equation derived?

Bernoulli's equation can be derived from the principle of conservation of energy, which states that the total energy of a system remains constant. By applying this principle to a fluid in motion and making certain assumptions, we can arrive at the equation P + 1/2ρV² + ρgh = constant.