Photon flux from blackbody source

In summary, the conversation discusses using Planck's radiation equation to find the photon flux at a specific wavelength and distance from a blackbody source. The method involves finding the area under the curve for the given wavelength range and using the relationship between intensity and power to calculate the photon flux. There are both numerical and analytical methods for integrating Planck's function, and the limit definition of a derivative can also be used.
AStaunton
Had a quantum assignment recently and one of the problems was:

What is the photon flux (photon cm^-2 s^-1) at a wavelength of 600nm at a distance of 1km from a blackbody soiurce at 2000k emitting 50W of radiation between 400nm-700nm.

My thinking was:

This involves Planck's radiation Equation:

[tex]I(\lambda)=\frac{2\pi hc^{2}}{\lambda^{5}(e^{hc/\lambda kT}-1)}[/tex]

we are interested in 600nm but have info about 400-700nm..Also know that [tex]I\propto P[/tex] so should find area under Plank's equation between limits of 400-700nm and then get area under plank's function from [tex]600nm[/tex] to [tex]600_{nm}+\Delta\lambda[/tex] as limit [tex]\Delta\lambda[/tex] tends to 0, express this latter area as a fraction of the former:

[tex]\frac{P_{600nm}}{P_{400-700nm}}[/tex]

now, find intensity for the 400-700nm range at a distance of 1km and then can find intensity for 600nm by:

[tex]I_{600nm}=I_{400-700nm}\frac{P_{600nm}}{P_{400-700nm}}[/tex]

now divide this intensity value by energy of 600nm photon: [tex]E=\frac{h}{\lambda}[/tex] and we have photon flux...

firstly I would be grateful if someone could confirm for me if I have gotten the concept right and this is the correct method to use...

I also have a technical question:

My ability with calculus is quite poor and so was not able to integrate Planck's function and so had to find area under curve between 400-700nm numerically, which was abviously less precise and quite time consuming! similar problem for area under curve at 600nm...although I think it can be done analytically by: [tex]600nm[/tex] to [tex]600_{nm}+\Delta\lambda[/tex] as limit [tex]\Delta\lambda[/tex] tends to 0, my calculus let me down and so I did it again numerically and found area between limits of 599.9 and 600.1.

So my question is, can what is the method to integrate plank's function and also is the idea of [tex]600nm[/tex] to [tex]600_{nm}+\Delta\lambda[/tex] as limit [tex]\Delta\lambda[/tex] tends to 0 a correct method to use.

Any advice appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for sharing your approach and thought process for solving this problem. Your understanding of using Planck's radiation equation and the relationship between intensity and power is correct. Your method of finding the photon flux at 600nm by dividing the intensity at that wavelength by the energy of a 600nm photon is also correct.

As for your technical question, there are a few ways to integrate Planck's function. One method is to use numerical integration, like you did, by dividing the wavelength range into small intervals and calculating the area under the curve for each interval. Another method is to use analytical integration, which involves using mathematical techniques such as substitution or integration by parts. You can find step-by-step instructions for integrating Planck's function online or in a calculus textbook.

The idea of using 600nm to 600_{nm}+\Delta\lambda as the limit as \Delta\lambda tends to 0 is a valid approach. This is known as a limit definition of a derivative and is commonly used in calculus. However, it may not be necessary to use this method in this particular problem as you can integrate Planck's function directly using the techniques mentioned above.

I hope this helps and good luck with your quantum assignment!

1. What is a blackbody source?

A blackbody source is an idealized object that absorbs and emits all radiation that falls on it. It is characterized by its temperature and emits radiation across a wide range of wavelengths.

2. How is photon flux related to a blackbody source?

Photon flux, also known as radiative flux, is the amount of electromagnetic radiation passing through a given area in a given amount of time. In the case of a blackbody source, the photon flux is directly proportional to the temperature of the source and its surface area.

3. How is the photon flux from a blackbody source calculated?

The photon flux from a blackbody source can be calculated using the Stefan-Boltzmann law, which states that the total energy emitted per unit time per unit area by a blackbody is proportional to the fourth power of its absolute temperature. This law is expressed as F = σT4, where F is the photon flux, σ is the Stefan-Boltzmann constant, and T is the temperature of the blackbody in Kelvin.

4. Does the photon flux from a blackbody source vary with wavelength?

Yes, the photon flux from a blackbody source does vary with wavelength. This is because the amount of energy emitted at a specific wavelength is directly proportional to the temperature of the blackbody at that wavelength. This relationship is described by Planck's law, which states that the spectral radiance of a blackbody is a function of its temperature and the wavelength of the emitted radiation.

5. How is the photon flux from a blackbody source used in practical applications?

The photon flux from a blackbody source is used in a variety of practical applications, such as in the design of optical instruments and in the field of thermodynamics. It is also used in astronomy to study the thermal radiation emitted by stars and other celestial bodies, and in industrial processes that involve high temperatures, such as in furnaces and in materials processing.