Have Commercials Led You to Discover New Music?

• Thread starter Danger
  • Start date
In summary, I've learned about a great band and song because of commercials. I've learned about the Black Angels and their song "The Weight" from a commercial, and the lead actor reminds me of Eric Balfour.
Danger
Gold Member
I'm just curious as to whether or not anyone else has learned of a great song and/or band because of them being used for commercials. It has happened to me several times. "1234" by Feist (Leslie) and several others. The latest is the new Heineken ad done to a live performance of "Golden Age" by the Galaxy Asteroids Tour. The weird thing about that is that I was familiar with Leslie Feist from her work with "Broken Social Scene", but didn't realize that she had a solo career as well.

Physics news on Phys.org
One of our sons fell in love with "1234," so I bought him the CD. I found I liked a lot of her other songs better.

We haven't had a TV in our house for over a year though (stupid digital conversion here in the US -- digital doesn't have great reception when you are in a valley! All or nothing, not just a bit fuzzy. -- combined with just thinking it was bad for family -- Dad and brother not noticing kids or siblings saying goodnight, for example). So no more commercials except when we go to watch sports and a restaurant (and that's not enough viewing time to get something "stuck" in your head.

Not through the commercial, but I have learned about a band called Fanfare Ciocarlia from this short movie:

Whole gig:

Love them both.

Last edited by a moderator:
Those old Navy commercials made me like a few Godsmack songs..

Danger said:
I'm just curious as to whether or not anyone else has learned of a great song and/or band because of them being used for commercials. It has happened to me several times. "1234" by Feist (Leslie) and several others. The latest is the new Heineken ad done to a live performance of "Golden Age" by the Galaxy Asteroids Tour. The weird thing about that is that I was familiar with Leslie Feist from her work with "Broken Social Scene", but didn't realize that she had a solo career as well.
I love the heineken commercial. Normally that girl's voice would make me cringe, but I love the song for some reason and don't mind her voice, it kind of goes with the song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=we1c5uzYsTI&feature=related

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=we1c5uzYsTI&feature=related

I found out about http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Black_Angels_(band)" via the track they did for the trailer to the game Fable III. I bought the CD immediately and once it arrived it was in my car for months.

Last edited by a moderator:
Evo said:
I love the song for some reason and don't mind her voice, it kind of goes with the song.

I can't explain it either... I think that it's because she reminds me of Gwen Stefani when she was singing "Just a Girl".

Too late to edit my last post, so I have to start a new one. I just want to mention that the entire crew, in particular the lead actor, involved in that ad are great. In fact, the actor reminds me spookily of Eric Balfour. If he ever shows up in "Haven", there could be a twin story happening...

What is the purpose of "Let's HEAR it for commercials"?

The purpose of "Let's HEAR it for commercials" is to showcase and celebrate the creativity and impact of commercials on society. It aims to recognize the hard work and talent that goes into creating these advertisements and how they influence consumer behavior.

Who organizes "Let's HEAR it for commercials"?

"Let's HEAR it for commercials" is organized by a team of advertising industry professionals, including creative directors, marketers, and media executives. They are responsible for selecting and curating the entries, as well as planning and executing the event.

How are the commercials selected for "Let's HEAR it for commercials"?

The commercials are selected through a submission and nomination process. Advertisers, agencies, and production companies can submit their commercials for consideration, and the organizing team also reaches out to industry professionals for recommendations. The commercials are then judged based on creativity, effectiveness, and impact.

What are the categories for "Let's HEAR it for commercials"?

The categories for "Let's HEAR it for commercials" vary each year and are determined by current trends and themes in the advertising industry. Some common categories include Best Use of Humor, Most Emotional, and Most Innovative. There are also categories specific to different types of commercials, such as TV, digital, and radio.

Is "Let's HEAR it for commercials" open to international entries?

Yes, "Let's HEAR it for commercials" is open to international entries. The event aims to showcase the best commercials from around the world and welcomes submissions from all countries. However, the commercials must be in English or have English subtitles to be eligible for consideration.