Can Cauchy Sequences be Bounded? Theorem 1.4 in Introduction to Analysis

In summary: I don't have the book you do, but I'm guessing it's something like "if the sequence converges to L, then it's bounded, because it's eventually close to L". I would recommend trying to prove that all Cauchy sequences are eventually close to each other (which is the definition of convergence for Cauchy sequences).In summary, by Theorem 1.3 and 1.2, it is proven that every Cauchy sequence is convergent and that a convergent sequence is bounded. Therefore, every Cauchy sequence is bounded.
BrianMath

Homework Statement

Theorem 1.4: Show that every Cauchy sequence is bounded.

Homework Equations

Theorem 1.2: If [itex]a_n[/itex] is a convergent sequence, then [itex]a_n[/itex] is bounded.
Theorem 1.3: [itex]a_n[/itex] is a Cauchy sequence [itex]\iff[/itex] [itex]a_n[/itex] is a convergent sequence.

The Attempt at a Solution

By Theorem 1.3, a Cauchy sequence, [itex]a_n[/itex], is a convergent sequence. By Theorem 1.2, a converging sequence must be bounded. Therefore, every Cauchy sequence is bounded.

I was just flipping through the textbook that my Analysis class will be using, "Introduction to Analysis" by Edward D. Gaughan, reading through Chapter 1. I noticed this theorem was left to an exercise, but I thought it was a bit too obvious of an answer as these two theorems in the Relevant equations were proven just before it. Is this really as simple as that?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you are allowed to use the theorems, then what you have suffices. However, textbooks are usually looking for you to prove without the given theorem, or prove the theorem itself. I would recommend trying to prove that all Cauchy sequences are convergent. Then you can say since all Cauchy sequences are convergent, all Cauchy sequences are bounded. That sounds like more fun, now doesn't it?

The problem does let you assume you are working in the reals (a complete metric space), right? If so, then yes, by all means use those theorems.

If you can't assume completeness, then you can't assume Cauchy sequences converge.

If you're not allowed to use completeness of the underlying space, then I would suggest you read the proof of "convergent sequences are bounded" and try to adjust that.

1. What is a Cauchy sequence?

A Cauchy sequence is a sequence of real numbers where the terms get closer and closer together as the sequence progresses. This means that for any small positive number, there is a point in the sequence where all subsequent terms are within that distance from each other.

2. How do you prove that a Cauchy sequence is bounded?

A Cauchy sequence is bounded if there exists a number M such that the absolute value of each term in the sequence is less than or equal to M. To prove this, we can use the definition of a Cauchy sequence and choose a small positive number ϵ to show that the terms in the sequence are bounded by ϵ + M.

3. Why are Cauchy sequences important in mathematics?

Cauchy sequences are important because they help us understand the behavior and properties of real numbers. They also play a crucial role in the development of calculus and analysis.

4. What is the relationship between Cauchy sequences and convergent sequences?

A Cauchy sequence is a special type of convergent sequence, where the limit of the sequence is the same as the limit of the terms in the sequence. In other words, a Cauchy sequence is a convergent sequence that converges to itself.

5. Can a Cauchy sequence be unbounded?

No, a Cauchy sequence cannot be unbounded. This is because the definition of a Cauchy sequence requires that the terms get closer and closer together, which means they cannot be infinitely large. If a Cauchy sequence were unbounded, it would violate this definition.