Coverage Area Of Light Reflected Using A Convex Mirror

In summary, the person has a wall in the shadows and wants to use a convex mirror to reflect sunlight onto it. They need a mirror with the right diameter and curvature to cover as much surface area as possible. The wall is 25' wide by 10' high and the mirrors will sit on posts 50' away. A 3' diameter flat mirror would not be sufficient, so the person is considering using two mirrors. To cover half the space (10' x 12.5'), the center of curvature of a 3' diameter mirror would need to be at about 14.5 feet. If the wall were 80' away, the curvature would need to be adjusted accordingly.
webmonk
I have a real-world situation I need help with before I run out and spend money.

I have a wall that is in the shadows. I want to use a convex mirror to reflect sunlight onto the wall, covering as much of the surface area as possible. I will need a convex mirror with the right diameter and curvature to reflect sufficient light while covering the maximum amount of area. Here is the setup.

Let's say the wall is 25' wide by 10' high, and the mirrors will sit on posts 50' away.
If a 3' diameter flat mirror was reflecting sunlight, it would cover 7 sq ft of space and it would take roughly 35 of them to cover the entire wall. This is unacceptable. Let's say I wanted two mirrors to cover the wall. At 50' away, what would the center of curvature of a 3' diameter mirror need to be to cover 1/2 the space (10' x 12.5')?

How would the curvature change if the wall were say 80' away instead?

Hopefully that is enough information to go on. If not, post what additional information you need.

Science news on Phys.org
You want each reflection to cover 10' x 10', roughly. At 50', that subtends an angle of about 11-12 degrees. So that's the amount of turn you need in the mirror as you cross from one side of it to the other. If the mirror has diameter 3' then its radius of curvature needs to be (3/2)cosec(12 deg/2) = 14.5 feet.

1. What is the coverage area of light reflected using a convex mirror?

The coverage area of light reflected using a convex mirror depends on the shape and size of the mirror. Generally, a convex mirror reflects light over a larger area compared to a flat mirror. However, the exact coverage area can be calculated using the mirror's focal length and angle of incidence.

2. How does the shape of the convex mirror affect the coverage area of reflected light?

The convex shape of the mirror allows it to reflect light over a wider area compared to a flat mirror. This is because the curve of the mirror causes light rays to diverge, allowing them to cover a larger area. This is why convex mirrors are commonly used in wide-angle or panoramic applications.

3. What is the difference between a convex mirror and a concave mirror in terms of coverage area?

A convex mirror reflects light over a larger area compared to a concave mirror. This is because a convex mirror has a positive focal length, causing light rays to diverge and spread out. In contrast, a concave mirror has a negative focal length, causing light rays to converge and focus on a specific point.

4. Does the distance between the convex mirror and the object being reflected affect the coverage area of light?

Yes, the distance between the convex mirror and the object being reflected can affect the coverage area of light. The closer the object is to the mirror, the larger the coverage area will be. This is because the angle of incidence of light rays increases as the distance between the object and the mirror decreases, resulting in a wider coverage area of reflected light.

5. Can the coverage area of light reflected by a convex mirror be increased by changing its angle?

Yes, the coverage area of light reflected by a convex mirror can be increased by changing its angle. The larger the angle of incidence, the larger the angle of reflection will be, resulting in a wider coverage area. However, changing the angle too much may result in distorted or distorted images being reflected.