Finding Final Volume - almost got it

The correct formula to use is Q = nCpΔT. In summary, the given problem involves 1 mole of O2 at 300K and 5.00L, with 4400 j of energy transferred by heat to the system. We need to find the final volume (Vf) at constant pressure of 29.4 J/mol*K. Using the correct formula, Vf is calculated to be 17.28 L. However, the teacher's answer is 7.52 L, which may be a typo.
sisigsarap
Ok, here is what is given:

1.00 mol O2
Ti = 300K
Vi = 5.00L
4400 j of energy transferred by heat to the system
Vf = ?
Constant Pressure = 29.4 J/mol * K

So I set the problem up using Q = n(Constant Pressure)(Tf - T-i)
Solving for Tf I find that Tf is equal to 449.7K.

Then using equation (Vf - Vi) = (nR(Tf - Ti)) / P

Vf = ((1.00mol * 8.31 J/mol*K * 149.7K) / (1.013*10^5 N/m^2)) + 5.00L

I am getting Vf = 17.28 L

Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong? My teacher told me the answer should be 7.52, could he of possibly meant 17.52?

Any help would be appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
1.The teacher is right.
2.The final temperature u computed is right...

3.The formula u used is wrong...

Daniel.

sisigsarap said:
Constant Pressure = 29.4 J/mol * K

This is the specific heat capacity, not pressure.

1. How do I calculate the final volume?

To calculate the final volume, you will need to use the formula Volume = Length x Width x Height. Measure the length, width, and height of the container and multiply them together to get the final volume.

2. What is the formula for finding final volume?

The formula for finding final volume is Volume = Length x Width x Height. This formula is used to calculate the amount of space an object takes up.

3. What units should I use when calculating final volume?

The units used for calculating final volume should be consistent. If the length, width, and height are measured in centimeters, then the final volume will be in cubic centimeters (cm^3). If the measurements are in inches, the final volume will be in cubic inches (in^3).

4. How accurate does my final volume calculation need to be?

The level of accuracy needed for your final volume calculation will depend on the purpose of your experiment or project. In most cases, it is recommended to have at least two decimal places for accuracy.

5. Can I use the same formula for irregular shaped containers?

The formula for finding final volume (Volume = Length x Width x Height) is specifically for regular shaped containers. If you have an irregular shaped container, you will need to use a different formula or break down the shape into smaller regular shapes to calculate the final volume.