Derivative Mapping in V: Understanding Rank, Nullity, Nullspace, and Range of D

• Thread starter eckiller
  • Start date
In summary, D maps V into V, and the rank and nullity of D are determined by whether or not there are any coefficients that must be zero for the derivative to be zero.
eckiller
Q. Consider the case with V being the kth order polynomials with real coefficients. Let the derivative mapping D be the transformation which assigns to each polynomial function its derivative. Show that D maps V into V. What is the rank, nullity, nullspace, and range of D?
===============================================
This is what I did:

Let p = a_0 + a_1 x + a_2 x^2 +...+ a_k x^k in V.

D(p) = a_1 + 2 a_2 x + ... + k a_k x^(k-1).

So D(p) in V since it is a polynomial of at most k.

Now the thing with the rank and nullity, is there suppose to be a rigorous way to show these? The only way I know how to find them is by "eyeballing" the space.

I note that only constants and the zero polynomial have zero derivatives, hence N(T) = { a_0 | a_0 in Reals }.

And the range R(T) = {p(x) | p(x) = a_1 + 2 a_2 x + k a_k x^(k-1) }

Rank(T) = k
Nullity(T) = 1
Dim(V) = k + 1

Thanks for checking my work.

Physics news on Phys.org
eckiller said:
This is what I did:

Let p = a_0 + a_1 x + a_2 x^2 +...+ a_k x^k in V.

D(p) = a_1 + 2 a_2 x + ... + k a_k x^(k-1).

So D(p) in V since it is a polynomial of at most k.
Of at most what? Degree? That would be wrong, since they are of degree at most k-1. You're right, D(p) is in V, and I suppose you've shown it, but it's not technically correct to say, "it is a polynomial of at most (degree) k", rather, you should say that it is a polynomial of degree no greater than k, thus it is in V.
ow the thing with the rank and nullity, is there suppose to be a rigorous way to show these? The only way I know how to find them is by "eyeballing" the space.

I note that only constants and the zero polynomial have zero derivatives, hence N(T) = { a_0 | a_0 in Reals }.
You want to find the polynomials whose derivative is zero. Can't you rigourously prove that only constant polynomials have derivative zero? Pick an arbitrary polynomial in V, take it's derivative, recognize that it is a sum of linearly independent vectors {1, x, x², x³, ... x^(k-1)} and so for it to be zero, the coefficients must be zero. Conclude that if all those coefficients must be zero, then the original polynomial must be constant.
And the range R(T) = {p(x) | p(x) = a_1 + 2 a_2 x + k a_k x^(k-1) }
Again, you can easily prove this. Take an arbitrary element of V and show that T maps it into the space that you've stated above. Also show that any element in that space (notice that it is the space of polynomials of degree at most k-1) is the image of some element of V. This shows that R(T) is a subset of the k-1 polynomials, and that the k-1 polynomials is a subset of R(T), showing that the two sets are equal as you've asserted.

You've done everything right, just make sure you take the time to prove it.

Great...thanks very much. That helped clear some things up.

1. Did I follow the correct steps in my experiment?

It is important to carefully follow the steps outlined in your experimental procedure in order to ensure accurate and reliable results. Before asking for someone to check your work, double check the steps and make sure you have not skipped any or made any mistakes.

2. Did I use the correct equipment and materials?

Using the correct equipment and materials is essential for conducting a successful experiment. Be sure to check your experimental procedure and make sure you have all the necessary equipment and materials before starting your experiment.

3. Is my data accurate and complete?

In order to draw valid conclusions from an experiment, it is important to have accurate and complete data. Make sure to carefully record all your data and check for any errors or missing information before asking someone to review it.

4. Did I interpret my results correctly?

An important aspect of being a scientist is being able to accurately interpret your results. Before asking someone to check your work, make sure you have carefully analyzed your data and drawn appropriate conclusions based on the evidence.

5. Are my conclusions supported by evidence?

When conducting an experiment, it is important to base your conclusions on evidence gathered from your data. Before asking for someone to review your work, make sure you have thoroughly analyzed your data and can support your conclusions with evidence.