Power Spectral Density - how can I get a link back to the original signal

In summary, the speaker is looking for suggestions on how to analyze a biological signal using a Fourier transform to create a frequency distribution plot. They would also like to be able to mark positions of certain frequencies that create peaks in the distribution. Suggestions include using a "windowed" FFT or using the Matlab signal processing toolbox to perform a short-time Fourier transform.
Dr Ingend
Hi everyone!

I would like to analyze a biological signal for periodicities using a Fourier transform, i.e., I'd like to get a frequency distribution plot based on a long stretch of signal. Additionally, I would like to be able to mark the positions of certain frequencies within the signal that give rise to a peak in the freq distribut plot.

Do you have any suggestions how to perform such an analysis?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you did FFT of the whole signal, you cannot do this.
Each point of the FFT spectrum depends on all the points of the time domain signal.
You can do the so call "windowed" FFT when you cut your signal in several segments and do FFT transform for each. Or you use a mowing window and see how the spectrum evolves as you move the window.

Thank you! I thought about a moving window as well, but wasn't sure how to actually make it work. I think I would have to write it in Matlab from scratch.

Cheers

Hello,

Thank you for your question about analyzing a biological signal for periodicities using a Fourier transform. The power spectral density (PSD) is a useful tool for this type of analysis, as it provides a frequency distribution plot of the signal.

To get a link back to the original signal, you can use the inverse Fourier transform. This will allow you to convert the frequency domain representation back to the time domain, giving you the original signal with the marked positions of certain frequencies.

In terms of suggestions for performing this analysis, I would recommend using a software program or programming language that has built-in functions for calculating the PSD and performing the inverse Fourier transform. Some examples include MATLAB, Python, and R.

I hope this helps and good luck with your analysis!

1. What is Power Spectral Density?

Power Spectral Density (PSD) is a measure of the power distribution of a signal over different frequencies. It is used to analyze signals in fields such as signal processing, physics, and engineering.

2. How is Power Spectral Density calculated?

PSD is calculated by taking the Fourier transform of the signal and then squaring the magnitude of the resulting spectrum. This provides a measure of the power at each frequency component of the signal.

3. Why is Power Spectral Density important?

PSD helps to identify the dominant frequencies in a signal, which can be useful in understanding the underlying processes or characteristics of the signal. It is also used in filtering, noise reduction, and feature extraction.

4. Can Power Spectral Density be used to retrieve the original signal?

No, PSD does not contain enough information to fully reconstruct the original signal. It only provides information about the power distribution of the signal in the frequency domain.

5. How can I get a link back to the original signal from the Power Spectral Density?

You cannot directly get a link back to the original signal from PSD. However, by using inverse Fourier transform on the PSD, you can obtain an approximation of the original signal, which can be useful in some cases.