Question about the a relativistic rocket

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept that the universe does not have a center and is expanding equally in all directions. It also touches on the idea of measuring velocities with respect to the universe's expansion and the existence of an observable absolute velocity. The conversation also mentions the effects of acceleration on horizons and the possibility of using high velocity objects to observe more of the universe.
kamenjar
Question about the a "relativistic rocket"

Intro:
If one was to measure the redshifts and distances of all galaxies around earth, they would come to a conclusion that they were in the center of the universe because all the galaxies are "moving away from them" faster as the distance to them increases. However, this would be true for anyone on the universe because the universe is homogeneous and doesn't have a "center". It's like being a surface of a balloon being inflated, and the balloon surface not having a center.

Questions:
If I was in a rocket moving at .9c and moving away from Earth would I:
1) If I measure distances/redshifts towards all galaxies around me, will I have the same observation (about universe expanding equally in all directions).
2) If my event horizon behind me reduces, does it mean that it shifts forward also and that I can "receive new events" from something ahead of me?
3) If I was to take Hubble with me and observe some star that it in direction perpendicular to my direction of motion, would I see that the star is round or "squished" in the direction of my motion?

Physics news on Phys.org

kamenjar said:
1) If I measure distances/redshifts towards all galaxies around me, will I have the same observation (about universe expanding equally in all directions).

No.

kamenjar said:
2) If my event horizon behind me reduces, does it mean that it shifts forward also and that I can "receive new events" from something ahead of me?

What "event horizon" are you talking about?

kamenjar said:
3) If I was to take Hubble with me and observe some star that it in direction perpendicular to my direction of motion, would I see that the star is round or "squished" in the direction of my motion?

If you're asking if the star would be Lorentz-contracted along your direction of motion, yes, it would. However, its actual visual appearance would be somewhat more complicated because of Penrose-Terrell rotation:

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Relativity/SR/penrose.html

kamenjar said:
Already for the motion of the Earth relative to the cosmological background radiation the small velocity leads to an anisotropy in the radiation (a kind of dipole moment) which has to be subtracted.

kamenjar said:
What you mean is the so-called particle horizon or cosmological horizon. Yes, the horizon increases. But please be careful, this depends on the expansion rate of the universe; there are cosmological scenarios where the particle horizon shrinks for a stationary observer and where local relativistic motion can't compensate this effect. An example is inflation where the expansion rate exceeds the speed of light.

PeterDonis said:
What "event horizon" are you talking about?
tom.stoer said:
What you mean is the so-called particle horizon or cosmological horizon.
I actually meant the Rindler Horizon, but that may occur only if the rocket is accelerating. So the question I guess still stands - if the rocket is accelerating, will there be a rindler horizon and/or is there an inverse effect in forward direction.

the cosmological horizon is interesting though. If we could "hurl" Hubble at high velocity, we could see more. Though we'd probably have better optics technology by the time we have energy to hurl an object into space at such high speed.

Now as far as the velocity with respect to the universe expansion "rest point" being "observable", doesn't that mean that there is such thing as observable/measurable absolute velocity and velocity "at rest"? Or does just not have any significance even if there is.

kamenjar said:
Now as far as the velocity with respect to the universe expansion "rest point" being "observable", doesn't that mean that there is such thing as observable/measurable absolute velocity and velocity "at rest"?
There are always observable/measurable velocities w.r.t. "something". Yes, the cmb defines a "global" reference frame and the motion w.r.t. this frame can be measured. But this does not contradict relativity.

1. What is a relativistic rocket?

A relativistic rocket is a theoretical spacecraft that travels at a significant fraction of the speed of light. This concept is based on the theory of relativity, which states that as an object's speed approaches the speed of light, its mass and energy increase exponentially.

2. How does a relativistic rocket work?

A relativistic rocket would work by using a powerful propulsion system to accelerate to near the speed of light. This would require a tremendous amount of energy, but once the rocket reached these speeds, time dilation and length contraction effects would allow it to cover vast distances in a shorter amount of time from the perspective of an observer on Earth.

3. What are the potential applications of a relativistic rocket?

A relativistic rocket could potentially be used for interstellar travel, allowing humans to explore and colonize other planets and star systems. It could also be used for long-distance space missions within our own solar system, as it would significantly decrease travel time and allow for faster scientific research and exploration.

4. What are the challenges of building and operating a relativistic rocket?

The main challenge of building and operating a relativistic rocket is the immense amount of energy required. The current technology and resources available are not sufficient to achieve the speeds necessary for a relativistic rocket. Additionally, such high speeds could also cause potential hazards and risks for the crew and equipment onboard.

5. Are there any ethical implications of using a relativistic rocket?

There could potentially be ethical implications associated with the use of a relativistic rocket, particularly in terms of the potential impact on other planets and ecosystems that may be encountered during interstellar travel. There may also be ethical considerations regarding the unequal access and distribution of resources required for such advanced technology.