Inverter high cost vs low cost performance difference

In summary: However, he ran into trouble with a 3KW Xantrex inverter - it failed after a few seconds due to an overload. He's wondering if the higher price is due to lower quality components, or if the design of the Xantrex is just more robust. Without seeing the schematics and the insides of the units, those questions cannot be answered.
dingpud
I have used a multitude of inverters within the past couple of years. I've experienced the good and the bad. I've found that the higher dollar inverters seem to work better, but don't know why. I used a 2KW Samtec Pure Sine wave inverter to power a 1500 watt load without any issues. I tried a 3KW Xantrex inverter which was half the cost yet rated for an additional 1KW, and the inverter alarms and craps out after a couple of seconds.

Without dissecting my entire setup and giving pages of information on what I tested, specs, etc., what is it between the 2 different inverters that
1.) causes the price to be higher and
2.) actually allows the inverter to work the way it is suppose to?

I know that Xantrex makes an industrial line which I am sure compares in cost and performance to the Samlex, but what I want to know is if it's lower quality components, then which ones? Is it missing a certain circuit? Is it a protection thing?
Originally coming into this, I thought that the difference in price only effected the "noise" or type of wave being produced.

Any thoughts, or life experiences with this would be helpful. I don't want to take the inverter apart. I'm pretty much ready to just accept the fact that you just "Get what you pay for", but really am kind of irked by the "why".

Thanks,

Engineering news on Phys.org
Some inverters are able to compensate for reactance in inductive loads.
Many inverters are for resistive loads only.
If you are testing a large inductive load, this may be the problem.

dingpud said:
what is it between the 2 different inverters that
1.) causes the price to be higher and
2.) actually allows the inverter to work the way it is suppose to?

2 words ... better design

and because it is a better design ( which is likely to include better quality components), its costs would naturally be higher

but what I want to know is if it's lower quality components, then which ones? Is it missing a certain circuit? Is it a protection thing?
Originally coming into this, I thought that the difference in price only effected the "noise" or type of wave being produced.

without seeing the schematics and the insides of the units, those questions cannot be answered

Dave

Last edited:

1. What is the difference between high cost and low cost inverters?

High cost inverters are typically more expensive than low cost inverters. This is because they are often made with higher quality materials and have more advanced features. Low cost inverters, on the other hand, are more affordable but may not have as many advanced features.

2. Do high cost inverters perform better than low cost inverters?

In general, high cost inverters tend to have better performance than low cost inverters. This is due to the use of higher quality materials and advanced features. However, the specific performance of an inverter depends on several factors, including the brand, model, and application.

3. Are low cost inverters worth the money?

It depends on your specific needs and budget. Low cost inverters may be a good option for those on a tight budget or for simple applications. However, for more complex or critical applications, investing in a higher cost inverter with better performance may be worth the money in the long run.

4. What are some factors that contribute to the cost difference between high cost and low cost inverters?

There are several factors that can contribute to the cost difference between high cost and low cost inverters. These may include the quality of materials used, the complexity of the design, the level of efficiency, and the brand reputation.

5. Can a low cost inverter be upgraded to have better performance?

In some cases, it may be possible to upgrade a low cost inverter to improve its performance. This may involve adding additional features or replacing certain components. However, it is important to note that not all low cost inverters may be easily upgradeable and it may be more cost effective to invest in a higher cost inverter with better performance from the beginning.