Explicit Description of a Plane

In summary, to find an explicit description of a plane as the span of two vectors, you can solve for one variable and put the others as parameters. In this case, the plane passes through the origin and can be described as the span of the vectors [1, 0, 3] and [0, 1, 2].
hogrampage
I understand how to find an implicit description if given the span of, say, two vectors. How do I go about finding an explicit description of a plane as the span of two vectors? For example, where would I start if the plane equation was:

3x+2y-z = 0

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean with "explicit description"? What is it of the plane that you would like to know?

i.e. Describe the plane as the span of a two-vector set.

hogrampage said:
i.e. Describe the plane as the span of a two-vector set.
You can only do that if the plane passes through the origin. Otherwise, it is such a span plus some constant vector.

But in your example, the plane passes through the origin, and the simplest way to find two vectors spanning the plane is to solve for one variable and put the others as parameters, say:
z=3x+2y, which leads to

##x=s##, ##y=t##, ##z=3s+2t##, or

##[x\,\, y\,\, z]^T=[s\,\, t\,\, 3s+2t]^T=s[1\, \,0\,\, 3]^T+t[0\,\,1\,\,2]^T##.

Okay, that is what I was thinking, but wasn't positive.

Thank you

1. What is an explicit description of a plane?

An explicit description of a plane is a mathematical representation of a two-dimensional flat surface that extends infinitely in all directions. It can be defined using an equation, a set of coordinates, or a combination of both.

2. How is a plane different from a line?

A plane is a two-dimensional surface, while a line is a one-dimensional figure. A plane extends infinitely in all directions, while a line extends infinitely in only two opposite directions. Additionally, a plane is defined by two dimensions (length and width), while a line is defined by only one dimension (length).

3. What is the equation of a plane in 3D space?

The equation of a plane in 3D space is Ax + By + Cz + D = 0, where A, B, and C are the coefficients of the x, y, and z variables, and D is a constant. This equation represents all the points (x, y, z) that lie on the plane.

4. Can a plane be described using only one point?

No, a plane cannot be described using only one point. A single point does not provide enough information to define a two-dimensional surface. A plane can be described using at least three points that are not collinear.

5. How can a plane be visualized?

A plane can be visualized as a flat, infinite surface that extends infinitely in all directions. It can also be visualized using a coordinate system, where the plane is represented by a grid of points. Additionally, a plane can be represented by a shape in 3D space, such as a rectangle or parallelogram.