Normalize the even wave functions for the finite square well

In summary, the conversation is about normalizing even wave functions for a finite square well. The wave function is given as \psi(x) with different expressions for the intervals (-\infty, a), (-a, a), and (a, \infty). The unknown amplitudes D and F can be determined by setting the normalization condition and applying boundary conditions. The continuity of the wave function and its first derivative at the walls of the well also provide equations to solve for the unknowns. There is some debate about the normalizability of the function, but it can be shown that it is indeed normalizable. The final solution can be found by solving the equations and checking for normalizability.
broegger
I'm trying to normalize the even wave functions for the finite square well. The wave function is:

[tex]
\psi(x)=
\begin{cases}
Fe^{\kappa x} & \text{for } x< a\\
D\cos(lx) & \text{for } -a\leq x \leq a\\
Fe^{-\kappa x} & \text{for } x> a
\end{cases}
[/tex]

How can I determine D and F? When I set

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}|\psi(x)|^2dx = 1[/tex],​

I obtain an equation in the two unknown amplitudes D and F. I could apply some boundary conditions to get more equations, but it gets rather complicated and I know there is an easier way...

Physics news on Phys.org
We require that the wave function is continuous, so:

[tex]Fe^{-\kappa a} = D \cos(la)[/tex]

I don't think you can avoid using this, along with the normalisation condition.

Also, include the continuity-demand for the FIRST derivative of the wavefunctions at the "walls" of the well.

marlon

That [tex] e^{\kappa x} [/tex] is honestly nonnormalizable...And one more thing,the interval for this function should be:
[tex] (-\infty,-a) [/tex]

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
And one more thing,the interval for this function should be:
[tex] (-\infty,-a) [/tex]

Daniel.

Which is indeed the case

marlon

marlon said:
Also, include the continuity-demand for the FIRST derivative of the wavefunctions at the "walls" of the well.

marlon

Do I need this? The continuity of [tex]\psi[/tex], as James R says, gives me two equations in two unknowns.

How did u get those initial functions...?I mean,why aren't there 3 (a priori) different amplitudes,e.g. F,G and H...? :wink:

A little remark.I said earlier that [tex] e^{\kappa x} [/tex] was not normalizable.It would have been the case for the [tex] (a,+\infty) [/tex] interval.Sure,in your case,because of the negative values that "x" takes,it is VERY NORMALIZABLE...

Daniel.

Last edited:
dextercioby said:
How did u get those initial functions...?I mean,why aren't there 3 (a priori) different amplitudes,e.g. F,G and H...? :wink:

Because of the symmetry of the finite square well (the well is centered at x = 0), I assume that [tex]\psi[/tex] must be symmetric (even or odd).

Yes,well,then that's it...Though the fact that,by imposing continuity along the real axis,you determine completely the wave function and by checking the normalizability,(i think) it will not hold...

There's something fishy.Check Davydov,Cohen-Tannoudji or Flügge...

Daniel.

broegger,

When you are normalizing over the full interval, does it look something like this:

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{-a}|\psi(x)|^2dx + \int_{-a}^{a}|\psi(x)|^2dx + \int_{a}^{\infty}|\psi(x)|^2dx = 1[/tex]

Between that and the boundary conditions stated by James R, the unknowns should be pretty easy to solve.

Last edited:

1. What is a finite square well?

A finite square well is a potential energy function that is commonly used in quantum mechanics to model a confined particle in a specific region. In this potential, the particle is confined to a finite region, and the potential energy is zero outside of this region.

2. Why is it important to normalize the even wave functions for the finite square well?

Normalizing the even wave functions is important because it ensures that the total probability of finding the particle in the well is equal to one. This is a fundamental requirement in quantum mechanics and allows for accurate predictions of the behavior of the particle in the well.

3. How do you normalize even wave functions for the finite square well?

To normalize the even wave functions, you must first square the wave function and integrate it over the entire range of the well. The resulting value is then divided by the square root of the integral to obtain the normalized wave function.

4. Can you explain the significance of even wave functions in the finite square well?

Even wave functions are special because they exhibit symmetry about the center of the well. This means that the probability of finding the particle on one side of the well is equal to the probability of finding it on the other side. This symmetry simplifies the calculations and allows for a more straightforward analysis of the system.

5. What happens if the even wave functions are not normalized for the finite square well?

If the even wave functions are not normalized, then the total probability of finding the particle in the well will be less than one. This means that the predictions made using these wave functions will not accurately reflect the behavior of the particle in the well. Normalization is crucial for obtaining reliable results in quantum mechanical systems.