Liquid Flow Problem: Bernoulli's Principle & Volume Flow Rate

That's definitely not right. Let me take another look at the problem and see if I can spot where I went wrong. UPDATE: After rechecking my calculations, I realized I made a mistake in my algebra. The correct solution should be v1 = 12.44 m/s, which gives a volume flow rate of 0.0157 m^3/s. I apologize for the error.
fizziksplaya
"A liquid is flowing through a horizontal pipe whose radius is 0.0200 m. The pipe bends straight upward through a height of 10.0m and joins another horizontal pipe whose radius is 0.0400 m. What volume flow rate will keep the pressures in the two horizontal pipes the same?"

Alright, I was thinking some combination of bernoulli's principle and the volume flow rate law because you've got varying height and varying area. How would I go about doing this? Am I on the right track?

Physics news on Phys.org
fizziksplaya said:
"A liquid is flowing through a horizontal pipe whose radius is 0.0200 m. The pipe bends straight upward through a height of 10.0m and joins another horizontal pipe whose radius is 0.0400 m. What volume flow rate will keep the pressures in the two horizontal pipes the same?"

Alright, I was thinking some combination of bernoulli's principle and the volume flow rate law because you've got varying height and varying area. How would I go about doing this? Am I on the right track?
From Bernoulli's Law for 2 points within a closed steady-state ideal fluid flow system:

[tex] :(1): \ \ \ \ P_{1} \ + \ (1/2)\rho v_{1}^{2} + \ \rho gh_{1} = P_{2} \ + \ (1/2)\rho v_{2}^{2} \ + \ \rho gh_{2} [/tex]

Problem statement indicates {P1 = P2}, {h1 = 0}, and {h2 = 10 m}, so Eq #1 simplifies to:

[tex] :(2): \ \ \ \ (1/2)v_{1}^{2} = (1/2)v_{2}^{2} + (10)g [/tex]

[tex] :(3): \ \ \ \ v_{1}^{2} \ - \ v_{2}^{2} \ = \ 196 [/tex]

From Mass Conservation, {A = πr2}, {r1 = 0.02 m}, and {r2 = 0.04 m}:

[tex] :(4): \ \ \ \ \rho A_{1} v_{1} = \rho A_{2} v_{2} = \rho (VolumeFlowRate) \ \ \Rightarrow \ \ v_{2} = v_{1} (\frac {r_{1}} {r_{2}})^{2} = v_{1}/4 [/tex]

Placing Eq #4 into Eq #3, solving for v1, and determining (Volume Flow Rate):

[tex] :(5): \ \ \ \ v_{1}^{2} \ - \ (v_{1}/4)^{2} \ = \ 196 [/tex]

[tex] :(6): \ \ \ \ v_{1} = (14.46 \ \ m/sec) \ \ \Rightarrow \ \ \color{red} (VolumeFlowRate) = \pi r_{1}^{2} v_{1} = (0.0182 \ \ m^{3}/sec) [/tex]

~~

Last edited:
thanks a lot :smile:

^ wait is that right? how did u get 14.46 lol?

shouldn't it be v1 - (1/4 * v1) = 14 and then 14/.75? or am i doing it wrong

@ KendrickLamar
It appears that you tried taking the square root of both sides.
Note that
[tex]\sqrt{v_2 ^2-v_1 ^2}\neq v_2 -v_1[/tex]

sandy.bridge said:
@ KendrickLamar
It appears that you tried taking the square root of both sides.
Note that
[tex]\sqrt{v_2 ^2-v_1 ^2}\neq v_2 -v_1[/tex]

wait I am brain dead lol u got to factor it or what, what's the easiest way to get from step 5 to step 6? why can't i figure this out lol!? i tried 1v1^2 - .25v1^2 = .75v1^2 and set that = 196 but that doesn't work either

Last edited:
If you have
[tex]v_1 ^2-\frac{1}{4}v_1 ^2[/tex]
You can take out the common factor and subtract
[tex]v_1 ^2(1-\frac{1}{4})=\frac{3}{4}v_1 ^2[/tex]

sandy.bridge said:
If you have
[tex]v_1 ^2-\frac{1}{4}v_1 ^2[/tex]
You can take out the common factor and subtract
[tex]v_1 ^2(1-\frac{1}{4})=\frac{3}{4}v_1 ^2[/tex]

thats what i was doing tho...

3/4 = .75 so if u do 196/.75 then square root both sides u still get like 16 something or even if u square root both sides first then multiply that fraction across its still doesn't end up with 14.46

Yeah, I just calculated it to be 16.17m/s.

1. What is Bernoulli's Principle?

Bernoulli's Principle states that within a flowing fluid, the total energy of the fluid remains constant. This means that as the fluid's speed increases, its pressure decreases, and vice versa.

2. How does Bernoulli's Principle relate to liquid flow problems?

Bernoulli's Principle can be applied to liquid flow problems to understand the relationship between fluid speed, pressure, and elevation. This principle is commonly used in situations involving fluid dynamics, such as in pumps, turbines, and pipes.

3. What is volume flow rate?

Volume flow rate is the measurement of how much fluid is flowing through a given area in a specific amount of time. It is usually measured in cubic meters per second (m3/s) or liters per second (L/s).

4. How is volume flow rate calculated?

The volume flow rate can be calculated by multiplying the cross-sectional area of the pipe or channel by the fluid's velocity. The formula is Q = A * V, where Q is the volume flow rate, A is the cross-sectional area, and V is the fluid's velocity.

5. What are some real-world applications of Bernoulli's Principle and volume flow rate?

Bernoulli's Principle and volume flow rate are used in a variety of real-world applications, such as in water treatment plants, hydraulic systems, and air flow in aircraft wings. They are also important in industries such as oil and gas, where accurate measurement of volume flow rate is crucial for production and transportation.